Why isnt Philly higher on the prospective MLS Team List??

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by bourque312, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    The Indoor soccer league Philly Kixx gets at least 10000 per game if I recall. Plus TONS of kids in Philly & Pennsylvania in general play soccer. I dont get how a city in the middle of nowhere like Rochester is higher up on the list.

2. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Philadelphia would be a great place for a MLS team if it had:
    (1) A Soccer Specific Stadium (SSS) or a great deal with another stadium.
    (2) A person or organization committed to soccer with the millions of dollars necessary to buy into the MLS and support it until it turns a profit.

Currently, Philadelphia has neither of these things. Get them, and the Comish Garber will personally deliver your very own bright shiny new soccer team.

3. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly would be great with that SSS (oh wait) and their owner/investor they have (oh wait)...ya they got neither, can't discuss philly until they have an investor...

4. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Any links on his being an idiot?

5. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    A map. Buy one.

6. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I/O + No SSS= No team.

I'm sure MLS will expand to Philly eventually when the league becomes even stronger and some billionaires see a gold mine and want to buy in, but until that happens your not getting a team.

By the way here's my list of 20 teams that I'd like for MLS by 2015-2020.

East

Columbus
    Chicago
    New England
    Rochester
    New York City (Cosmos!! :D )
    D.C.
    MetroStars
    Fusion (Miami)
    Philadelphia
    St. Louis

West

Vancouver
    Seattle
    Portland
    Los Angeles
    San Diego
    Colorado
    Dallas
    Minnesota
    Kansas City
    Houston

(move San Jose)

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    If they put a team back in Florida, they'll probably try further North, like the Orlando area.

The chance of MLS being able to afford to build a new stadium in New York City (Which neither the NFL or MLB seem to be able to do) any time in the forseeable future is nil.

Putting 3 teams in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver is suicide. I can see adding one or both of Portand and Seattle under the right circumstances.

Other than that, I like Philly, St. Louis, Houston, and even Minnesota since this is a summer league.

None of this matters, really, since the league needs to go where they have stadia to play and owners to pay - and not just into markets.

*edit - Oh, and keep San Jose for now. I have a feeling that huge playoff comeback won a few fans in addition to the series.

8. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scratch Vancouver from that list for San Jose and you're right....They won't be in the first 20 teams.

(maybe St Louis for OKC (Minnesota to the East) as well)

9. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Philadelphia nd St. Louis are in, then you have to have Detroit, too. There will be a team in Detroit before the rebirth of the Fusion.

10. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I'd start right here.

11. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
  12. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    When you start a thread like this you will get many posters here who remember the countless other threads on bigsoccer that have already covered this topic. There are many large urban areas in this country that have loads of soccer playing youths and adults...but unless there is an I/O or a stadium or both...there won't be a team. Talk all you want about Philly or St. Louis or what have you deserving a team, they won't get a team with out owners. And if Rochester or Oklahoma City are able to come up with owners or stadiums or both, then they will get teams...whether people consider them in the sticks or not.

13. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exposed as a moron, hah, why because people within the Burn FO said that it was 100% that they would be in southlake in 04...Everyone, even 3rddegree didn't know it was coming, stop being an idiot...

why don't you go and start another "Why isnt Philly higher on the prospective MLS Team List?"...

Oh ya, I was the first person saying things about Rochester in 04 and people were saying I was an idiot (on another bored, here I just hinted as such as it always turns into a flame war because people get jealous that you get information and they don't) either way, I hear about a lot of things, but i'm no writer or journalist and i don't want to be, some things i keep to myself, some i post...I can choose to believe people that work for MLS or for an MLS team or i can choose to believe people from bigsoccer that talk out of their ass...

Read this thread...

bourque312 has been EXPOSED as a MORON...

(i'm done playing in the gay games, go play with your little buddies soccertim and haig, thanks)

14. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    MLS3 is just angry at me that I called his arrogant wannabee knowitall a$$ for pulling a Rush Limbaugh.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/show...737#post1808737

Here ya go. MLS3 has been EXPOSED as a MORON. Way to pull a Rush Limbaugh, kiddo

15. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Re: Re: Why isnt Philly higher on the prospective MLS Team List??

Compared to Philly, upstate NY is the middle of nowhere.

& why cant MLS start the franchise & then let it get picked up by an investor after it has shown to be a viable club, kinda like the Colorado situation. The sooner the MLS goes to philly, the better.

16. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Look at it this way, every nowhere is somebody's somewhere. And even if that isn't true, it would still make a great lyric in a Dean Martin song, if he was still around, which he isn't.

Okay, look at it this way: Rochester has ownership in place and a stadium on the way. Philly has neither. The LINC is there for ManU tour stuff, not MLS, because they already have an agreement with Temple when the Eagles aren't in town.

Spring will be for rodeos and tractor pulls, except for June, when the Amish come to town and build a barn in the LINC before your very eyes.

They take it down in time for a Blond Pop Tart Concert featuring the Blond Pop Tart du jour, then Man U comes to town. Then they get the stadium ready for the Eagles all over again.

And that's how a city in the middle of somewhere loses to nowhere. And very likely, in Philly itself, nobody cares.

17. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Is your name Don Garber?

First, why are people outside of markets with expansion hopes (Philly, St. Louis, Detroit) so quick to dash our hopes of getting a team? It's almost as if it brings them joy. Let's call them haters .

IF an I/O and stadium are necessary for consideration, Philly will not get a team for at least 10 or 15 years. We just built 2 new stadia with taxpayers footing 1/3 of the $500 million it cost. I don't see taxpayers wanting to do that again anytime soon. I can accept that.

If, as many of those haters note, MLS will not expand without and I/O AND a SSS, we would not be so wrapped up in Chivas fever. Vergara doesn't even know what city his team will play in for chrissakes! But he has dough.

MLS is asking quite a bit of both investors and host cities. What MLS wants is an I/O with DEEP pockets. Cleveland is a good example. The guy behind the Cleveland campaign has the dough and is even looking at land, but is now trying to deal with the city to fund his stadium. So, Cleveland: no stadium deal, but an investor with dough.

Fianlly, let's look at Rochester. The owners happen to be in the right place at the right time. I have the distinct feeling their posible inclusion is a result of Vergara insisting on playing in '04. Good for them. Do they have the $20 or $10 million to buy in MLS? I don't know, that is a lot of cash for an A-League team, but they have a stadium deal.

So, to me, it does not look like MLS's rule about and I/O and SSS is set in stone. I think they are more concerned with survival of the league and they are doing a good job. They have been more than flexible, especially in dealing with Vergara, and that's exactly what they need to do. The sports landscape is changing and MLS needs to be ready to alter it's plans accordingly. So all you haters who take everything MLS says as the gospel, shut up and let us hope and dream for our own team.

18. flipper

flipper New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Eastern US
    Re: Is your name Don Garber?

Thats great and all, until I have to read some ass clown whine about how some city that doesn't meet to his satisfaction gets consideration over Philadelphia. That discredits your 'hater' post. Sorry

19. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Play nice, boys. If you've got a real problem, take it to PMs. Thanks.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) "Pulling a Rush Limbaugh" - now would that be getting hooked on OC or making fools of Liberals? Not looking for a squabble, just wondering what the *#*#*#*# you're talking about.

2) To clarify, the prospective investor in Cloeveland does not have a stadium deal in place, but he is committed to the building and it is not dependent on governmental money. In fact, it's the government trying to MAKE him take their land and money that is holding it up. But if he ends up not getting dime one from Cleveland, he'll build it anyway.

So while details do indeed remain to be worked out, it's a sure thing.

3) Those who have pointed out, for the umpteenth time, that the problem with Philly is NO CHANCE of an SSS and NO INVESTOR willing to step up. MLS would award a franchise to Peoria, Tonapah or Eugene if somebody with money will come forward.

In other words, STFU, quit whining, and spend your time finding a willing rich guy. Ain't nothin' happnin till then, Buckaroo.

4) Anschutz selling one of his teams does not mean that it makes any kind of business sense to build teams and then search around for buyers. He bought those team rights to stabilize the league and would love to unload most of them. He is not planning on saddling himself with more.

Is this too complicated?

5) Spare us the tales of all the hordes of kids who play soccer in Philly. In case you haven't noticed, hordes of kids play soccer everywhere, genius.

6) Pay close attention:

Rochester is getting consideration for a team because THEY EARNED IT.

They worked hard, built an A League franchise, regularly put over 10,000 people in an old baseball stadium to watch them and spent five years convincing a pretty broke municipality to help build a soccer stadium.

In short, they did the work, from the ground up, rather than sit around whining about how REALLY NEATO KEEN their cool city with all those kids kicking balls on Saturday morning would be if they had a team.

They went out abd did it. Put them down all you want for being a minor city. It's absolutely true. But there's another minor city, called Columbus, in the "middle of nowhere" who got a team too. All they did was sell 10,000 season tickets for a team in a league which didn't even exist yet.

In short, if Philly wants a team, then Philly shoud DO SOMETHING. And no, whining like a baby doesn't qualify.

21. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    One small correction - The Rhinos play in a *new* baseball stadium, not an old one. :)

22. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Wow Bill, sounds like youre a bitter guy. OH! I get it: youre a Crew fan...

23. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Bill is just smart, and probably like me, can't stand idiots like you that join bigsoccer and post like they know whats going on when they are just clowns...

why don't you start another worthless thread...

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I have visited Philly many times; I've had friends living there, my wife had major surgery there. it is a damn, fine town.

So is San Francisco; I lived in Palo Alto for over six years and got to know "The City" very well. Maybe the coolest city in the USA, and it doesn't have an MLS team. San Jose does -- and it is a LONG drive from The City to San Jose down the Bayshore. Longer still via the scenic route of the foothils. I'm sure all this has been expanded since I lived there, but the distance remains, and SFO does not have a team.

Both Portland and Seattle are high on my list of favorite places to live, if I had to live somewhere else -- along with several places in Florida. Maybe MLS winds up in Seattle, maybe not;
    probably not in Portland or anywhere in Florida.

I don't hate any of these places, but none of them have the combination of factors combined with money to get them MLS teams. That's just a fact of life right now.

There is more to soccer in the US than MLS. Is there any level of USL in or around Philly? Find the nearest team; support it. Have some fun instead of griping about what you haven't got.

25. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    One more time, MLS3. Play nice. If you want me to treat you like a 4-year-old, then I will. If not, then enough with the childish remarks.