Why is there such a low interest in this group?

Discussion in 'GROUP E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia' started by Saudi Sheikh, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Saudi Sheikh

Saudi Sheikh Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Near The Kingdom
    This sub forum has the lowest number of posts by faaar compared to the forums for the other groups why is that? Is it because there are not too many fans of these countries on BS? I cant think of any other reason as for me this is an exciting group.

2. Mrmagu

Mrmagu Member

Corinthians
    Brazil
    Nov 14, 2017
    I think there are a lot of Brazilians ( like me) in BS but the question was about the second place. Since 1982, Brazil was the winner of your first round group, so I think this will happen again. The discussion about the second place could be higher here but maybe the other nations fans seem not so much interested...

3. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    This group is very interesting. If Brazil gonna win the group. Not sure about that. If Costa rica can be good like they was in Brazil. i read they are not so good this time, but gonna be fun to follow them. Serbia are back, they have a very good squad with Matic, Kolarov, Tadic, Ljajic, Savic, and Mitrovic and Tosic. I think Switzerland can at least get a draw against Brazil. Switzerland are good imo. The play-off matches against North Ireland they were ok i think, North Ireland are not a team you score 5 goal against, Germany won over North Ireland with 3-1 and 2-0 at the qualify and 1-0 euro 2016. Swiss - Serbia gonna be interesting too.

4. Mrmagu

Mrmagu Member

Corinthians
    Brazil
    Nov 14, 2017
    Of course Switzerland can draw with Brazil. But even so this happens, I think Brazil will win the group. If Brazil won’t win the group, it can forget any chance of being the champion.

5. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    btw new here, from Sweden, have read this forum for awhille, sorry for my english sometimes! :) So you think if Germany win the group Brazil gonna lose against germany?

6. Mrmagu

Mrmagu Member

Corinthians
    Brazil
    Nov 14, 2017
    Yes. For Brazil be the second of the group will be considered as a fail. The team moral will be very low and in this case I think Germany would beat Brazil easily in round of 16 match. I even think that Germany would be favorite against Brazil or any team in any round, but in the final match with high moral for both teams, Brazil would have more chances.

7. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    hmm yea or they get a bad start and like Spain 2010. anyways this world cup are gonna be great i hope. So was it great to beat Chile so they missed it ? :) I dont know, u know it for sure better but i read Chiles "golden era" was over, 2017 they went downhill, and the squad got older and stuff like that. Well i think Peru are gonna be fun to see :) they didnt lost a match 2017!

8. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Have asked about other teams and try to compare the teams. Russia 2018 vs Brazi 2014. So is Swiss 2018 better then Swiss 2014?

9. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    No Swiss here?

10. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Probably because all four countries are not antagonistic sh$! talkers. U know what forums to check if you want to see that stuff lol ;)

11. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well I'm a Brazil fan and I feel that it's the 1st time in 40 years since WC'78 that the possibility is that Brazil may not win the group!!

12. Saudi Sheikh

Saudi Sheikh Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Near The Kingdom
    And who do you think might win the group instead ?

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Serbia can really be a strong side, and Switzerland's defense can give some headaches as well!!

14. Saudi Sheikh

Saudi Sheikh Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Near The Kingdom
    South American teams always seem to win against former Yugoslavian teams as was the case last world cup ie brazil against croatia n argentina against bosnia. I remember in 06 serbia had qualified from europe with the best defence n they got ripped to shreds by argentina 6-0. Ex yugo teams r successful against euro teams but when they face technical teams like brazil n argentina they seem to fail. Switzerland however might indeed give brazil trouble because their playing style is similar to france n germany teams that always give brazil trouble.

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I'm sure Brazil's most difficult game will be the first one against Switzerland. It's always hard to break the ice when you start off in a tournament. Switzerland can be a tricky opponent. They have a solid team and are the side that is the most able to execute successfully a defensive game plan against Brazil in this group. Not to forget they shocked Spain 2010 in the opening game.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe because Brazil is a big favorite, and the other countries are small. To me this is the group of death, we'll get some great games here.

Costa Rica is a good team, they'd have a strong chance to advance from another group, but they will have it tough here. Switzerland I think will be the one to advance, along with Brazil. They are not contenders for the title, but they are a complicated team to play for anybody. But, we could say the same about Serbia.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Who knows? Perhaps there aren't too many Costa Ricans, Swiss, and Croatians on this site?

Perhaps it is because Brazil comes in as the absolute favorite to win the group as it has won 18 of 21 matches under Tite (47 goals scored and 5 allowed), with an 11-match unbeaten streak, and with 4 straight wins in 2018 (and no goals allowed) against Russia, Germany, Croatia, and Austria.

Perhaps because history shows that Brazil generally wins its groups, and the expectation is that 2018 will be another group winner finish for Brazil.

Who knows. If anything, there will probably be more postings for the groups once the matches actually begin, and I for one will not underestimate these opponents; Serbia is no weakling and Switzerland has several players with World Cup experience.

We will see what happens starting in a few days.

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Another reason is Bigsoccer has become very clique-ish.

The MLS lot no longer leave their forum to discuss non-MLS games and it's a similar situation with the USMNT crowd. Given that most Bigsoccer posters are Americans the international forums therefore have a lot less traction compared to before.

19. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Pitiful, but true. I'm American (with strong ties to Brazil - was raised there for the best part of my childhood and teen years because my father worked for an American company that had a Brazilian branch, and I'm married to a Brazilian) and I love to discuss international soccer, but it is true that we struggle to get true prominence of the sport here (one of my first Big Soccer threads back when I registered was about the popularity of soccer in the United States, a thread that is still going). Besides, the fact that we didn't qualify for the World Cup must have had a strong effect on Americans discussing other teams here - this Cup definitely hasn't had the same success here, as opposed to those that had our team's participation.

Then, since BigSoccer is an American site, in English, we need to count on fans from other countries who are comfortable enough with the English language, and willing to come visit an American site to discuss the sport. Maybe simply these fans have other preferred Internet venues in their own languages.

-----------

Regarding this group, I'm afraid for Brazil. The refereeing bias seen in the Switzerland game, if it repeats against Serbia, spells trouble for Brazil, and I'm also afraid that Switzerland showed the way to Serbia regarding how to tie/beat Brazil: lots of fouls on Neymar (with the ref's tolerance), strong defense, exploitation of some defensive errors Brazil sometimes commits.

In my opinion it is likely that Brazil won't win this group, and I'm even afraid that it is possible that Brazil simply won't advance to the round of 16, especially if they have to play against 12 men (the opponents + the ref) again.

Remember, this Cup is in Europe. It is very hard for South Americans to win a Cup there. The first round showed UEFA doing overwhelmingly better than the other confederations (with the big exception being, of course, favorites Germany faltering against Mexico).

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    1. Ticos are thugs and rivals.
    2. Brazil aren't fun anymore.
    3. Switzerland is the death of joy.
    4. Serbia are the ticos of Europe.

But maybe we see a game today. This entire world cup has been indifferent .