Why is there no city derbys in France?

Discussion in 'France' started by yure323, Jul 9, 2005.

1. yure323

yure323 New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Necropolis
    I mean there could at least be 2 clubs from Paris, in all other euro leagues there is more than 1 club from at least 1 city ( like Inter-Ac Milan, Real-Atletico Madrid, Liverpool-Everton,Bayern-1860 Munchen ). I've heard about Racing club Paris but i don't know what's p with them ???

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the cities in france have only one team in the National (3rd League) and above. There are some cities that have a second team in the regional leagues. I think most of the situiation rests with the organization of the second or third teams in the respective cities. Could Racing Club de Paris climb up to Ligue 1, yes, do they have that ambition? I could not tell you that. I use Racing Club de Paris because they are realistically the closest to Ligue 1.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    plenty of neighboring derbies though (lens-lille, auxerre-guegnon, marseille-nice, etc.)

4. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    This has now been asked for the 1000th time....

I can't be arsed repeating myself.

No professional teams since the end of WWII, France as a demography, the saturation of sports teams and how the game of football is percieved in the Hexagon.

Take your pick... They're all valid for a good school assignment on this topic.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Well, we will have the Moselle derby this year - Metz v Nancy. :cool:

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Absolutely, there are lots of regional derbys, though the situation of the capital is a little bit particular in Europe. At the other end you have london and its countless city derbys.

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    And Moscow.....

Says the Paravoz delighted with today's Moscow derby.... :D

8. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Lyon-St. Etienne! :D

9. Forgeron

Forgeron New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    France
    ;)

Since our season in D1 we haven't played against them in Championat and once in cup. Our derby is VS Dijon !

French Derbies :

Ajaccio/Bastia

Auxerre/Troyes

Lyon/Saint-Etienne

Lille/Lens

Metz/Strasbourg/Nancy/Sochaux

Rennes/Nantes/Guingamp/Lorient/Brest

Toulouse/Bordeaux

Nice/Monaco/Marseille

Gueugnon/Dijon

Le Mans/Laval

Le Havre/Caen

Sedan/Reims

PSG/OM is NOT a derby.

10. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    PSG v OM is war.... that's what it is!

11. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Es El Clasico !!

12. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Most French cities simply arent big enough to support 2 professional teams. Remember that the population of France is massively concentrated on Paris and is not as spread out as it is in other countries. Lyon, Toulouse, Nice, Lille, Bordeaux, these are larger French cities but they arent big enough to support 2 teams and those cities arent as large as the larger European cites in other European countries. Paris and Marseille realistically are the only cities big enough to support 2 teams each. Paris is not a huge football town thats why they only have 1 big club. They have a bunch of smaller clubs in the lower leages which get poor support. Now I did read that Red Star last year averaged around 1,000 people per game in the 6th division which is a good sign that the potential support is there.
    I have no idea why Marseille doesnt have 2 professional teams. Its clearly a big football city. The only reason I can think of is that OM is so big that its very hard for another pro team there to gain ground and take shape and earn support. Kinda like Ajax in Amsterdam I think.

13. Persian Luis Figo

Persian Luis Figo New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    What Sportboy said.

14. Dominique Rocheteau

Dominique Rocheteau New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Canada
    When was the last time Racing CLub was in Ligue 1?

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    1990.This year they'll be in the CFA 2 or DH because they are in massive debt and have no money which I dont understand why because they got a new owner recenty. I guess they are still forced to suffer because of the previous administration/ownership. Paris not getting the Olympics was a bad blow for them.

16. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As Max Bretos would call it, Es El Super Clasico.

17. Big Boss

Big Boss Red Card

Jun 17, 2005
    saudi arabia
    how is bigger fan in france !!

and why psj and om cant won champion in liga 1 !!

why lyon won years after year !! lyon won 4 champion in last 4 years :rolleyes:

i like france liga 1 ..ammmm and i like lens ( diouf 2001) and psg ( okocha ) and s

but last years i like lyon because juninho and govou :cool:

but this yaers i hate lyon because coach holler a hate this man :D

18. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Berlin doesn't have a major derby either...just us :D

19. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard PSG was formed to replace the original top club in the city. I asked the question when I saw a PSG flag that said "25 years of history." I knew something was up as clubs as strong as PSG are usually much older. A fan said a group of supporters thought the original Paris team was really underperforming and not taking advantage of the huge population base so they formed PSG. Is this Racing Club the original?

20. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh, yeah. Does Berlin (or the neighbouring region) have a team in the second division ?

21. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Unfaithful fan... ;)

So which team are you going to follow this year ?

22. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Whoa you were able to understand that guy

23. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Union Berlin were in German Second Division, but 2 straight relegations in the past 2 seasons leads them back to the 4th division :eek: . Incidently, they are still probably the 2nd best team in Berlin right now... :(

Hertha is the only big team now, yet they can't fill their near 80000 capacity stadium. Granted its a huge stadium, but then again, PSG don't really fill up the Park de Princes either, in games I have seen.

24. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Hmm, yes I can !

[​IMG]

25. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    PSG fills up the PdP believe me. They are always near the top of the league in average attendence in France. Now if they played their home matches at the 80,000 seat Stade de France then yeah they wouldnt be able to fill that up regularly. It sounds like Paris and Berlin have a lot of similarites when it comes to football.