Why is the Men's Team refusing to play

Discussion in 'Canada' started by nick, Jun 8, 2022.

1. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an American I'm hoping that someone with specific and detailed information can frame the CSA and the Canadian Men's National Team positions in this dispute. What does each side want and what is being offered?

I have read and listened to a couple of articles but I came away with little real information. Also the stakeholders in this dispute seem to make the whole process cloudy: CSA, CSB, FIFA and the CanMNT.

Here what I think I know. For qualifying for the WC the CSA will receive 10 to 12 Million US dollars and more if they progress in the Cup. The CSA is offering 10% or 1 to 1.2 Million to the players. The players are asking for 40% (while most Federations provide 25 to 35%).

There also seems to be money that is being generated from TV, Sponsorships, other Games and Merchandise that is controlled by the CSB and that seems to be off limits to the players. The CSA apparently contracted with the CSB for some percentage of this revenue but there is no visibility on the amount.

Can anyone confirm/update/correct my understanding.

2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    You have the gist of it. And there's a lot of confusing information about the rest of it and some things seem to be changing as we go.

The other factors are:

1. The players are asking for 40% after tax, which means way more than 40%.

2. The women, supported by the men, are asking for equal pay. What isn't clear is if this means equal dollars, an equal percentage (so the men get 40% of the men's WC money and the women 40% of the women's WC money), or pooling the men's and women's money and sharing that.

3. It is very unclear exactly what money is locked up in the CSB contract and what isn't. Also how much the CSB pays the CSA (is it $3 million per year regardless or at least $3 million per year?).

3. Dr. Venture

Dr. Venture New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Three words:

Northern Football Podcast.

Great round up of the WHOLE shebang and more.