Why is Support for Bush Higher Among College Students?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorJones24, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Don't get too romantic about the good old days of campus communism. I graduated high school while the Vietnam war was on and went to college at Berkeley in the '70s. What passed for political awareness was taking acid and listening to the Jefferson Airplane.

2. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    The first point is a classic red herring. Not even worth our time.

The whole second paragraph is a personal attempt to jusitify not voting. Fine. But please answer the question: Why should we feel "justified" to FORCE people to take huge chunks out of their time to serve on juries? How is that not just as tyrannical? Often, these people have to give up much to do so.

3. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Example of zero-sum game:

Every time when democrats tried to raise the minimum wage for the little people, republicans would say, oh, no, don't do it because someone is going to lose his job. (implying that the money to pay employees is constant)

Example of non-zero-sum game:

Congressmen vote to raise their salaries. (implying that money is coming from the outerspace)

4. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    One pill makes you larger...

5. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Because that is the only way to make sure that our justice system does not become corrupted by people with power or with an agendas. A jury of your peers is part of the guarantee to a fair trial.

There is no compelling reason to force people to vote, if they choose not to. We should not do anything to persuade people not to vote, but as my supposed "red herring" pointed out, there is no correlation between voter participation, and a truly representative government.

6. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    That is a simplified view of the dangers of raising the minimum wage.

You are correct that the money to pay employees is not constant. It can fall or increase depending on how productive your employees are, and how succesfull you run your business. I'm not sure how increasing the minimum wage will automatically make any employee more productive, so employers can look for other ways, like automation, or reduction in the amount of service they provide to their customers, both of which could lead to the reduction of their work force.

Minimum wage increases are also inflationary. Do you think the people who were making just above minimum wage, and see that people who were below them before, are no even with them aren't going to expect a raise,m and so on up the ladder?

Of course the more drastic the increase, the more likely the negative effects could override the positive intent.

7. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Increasing minimum wage is not about increasing productivity. That's main point i think. You have failed to understand the issue behind the push of raising minimum wage.

8. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Bush partied hard during college, just like a lot of students do nowadays. Every student knows that they may be a partier now, but some time in the future they will grow up and want what is best for them and their families.

Bush IS what the typical college student WILL become.

9. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    No I understand the issue full well, and I think many of the Democrats who harp on it also know full well the negative implications that raising the minimum wage can have on the very people they supposedly want to help. Unfortunately some of them are more interested in bashing the Republicans for favoring the rich than they are in a realistic debate about what the real effects of raising the minimum wage might be.