Why is freakin Notre Dame Football on the tube every Saturday#!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Soccer-Six-Shooter, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Every week these guys are on. These people live in the past. Notre Dame has been average the last 10 or 15 years. They're living on past glories. Why do they get a TV deal to show their games every freaking week? That many people want to watch this overhyped team every week?. Every Saturday afternoon turn on the tube, hey its Notre Dame vs. __________ (fill in blank). Give me a break. Give me some variety.

I just had to get that out and vent.

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    My roommate claims they have a contract with NBC to have all of their games broadcast. Mainly because of the tradition of the team.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame a bunch of idiots that think the f'g Irish are God's gift to college football. They still have tons of people willing to support and watch the team and they probably are the only team in college football that can get their own TV deal because of it. I don't know, I've always hated them. They have a smug, arrogant attitude that they are the best and I hate there God damned subway alumni. Why they are so many people that support that school considering it size is one of the great mysteries of life. Knute Rocke, the Gipper, they're all dead. Montana was a generation ago.

Every week they get pounded is good for them. Too bad they beat Purdue this weekend.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All true. Because they're independent (not in a conference) and a private school, they don't have to deal with other teams when they go for TV contracts.

The Irish have long borne the brunt of opponents' hatred for their tradition. My acquaintances from childhood (Alabama) have hated ND for years. They're going to hate 'em even more now. I've always wondered if other traditional teams (USC, Penn State, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and, to a degree, Michigan and Ohio State) have received this much rage.

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    OU most definitely does. Mainly, I think, because of their winning ways and Barry Switzer.

6. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Now I know you are a sick bastard...

7. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Re: Re: Why is freakin Notre Dame Football on the tube every Saturday#!!

Close but not quite right.

As NBC stated a long time a ago, Notre Dame supporters make that team worth putting on television for us. Add in the Notre Dame haters and it makes it worth our while to put them on television every weekend.

People love to watch ND play, but only have those people are tuning in to see them win.

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    boy did i enjoy when they played ohio state a few years ago...

ohio state - 29 & notre dame - 16

ohio state - 45 & notre dame - 26

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite was when ND played SC in the Coliseum and ND was up near the end of the first half 24-0. SC scored just before the end of the half. Then Anthony Davis returned the opening kick-off of the second half 102 yards for a touchdown and SC went on to beat ND 55-24.

here's a link.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/page/historian/notredame.htm

I remember being so pissed that SC was getting creamed by the Irish and then held out hope on the touchdown at the end of the half. It was incredible. One of the great halves of football I have ever seen. Total humiliation for ND. I thought Traveler II was going to collapse from takling so many laps around the Coliseum.

10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I just strongly dislike Notre Dame. With the school orcestrating(sp) their TV deal, there is now more people hating the football team.

I would love nothing more than to see Notre Dame football go winless every year. Along with Duke basketball, etc.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jeez. I've been a USC supporter since I was old enough to understand football and human behavior(my dad went to the famous USC-Alabama game in '70 and brought me back a pennant), but I've never hated on ND like this.

12. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You're a good man.

Off topic: does Notre Dame still have that booster who gives gifts to players and have sex with them?

13. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    haha...

This is coming from someone who actually called Tom Landry Satan.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the deal. I firmly believe ND underachieves a majority of the time. They have the most storied football program in the country. They can recruit anywhere. They have tremendous booster money. They put out the image the school is cleaner than Ajax. That's a lie. It's all about the image of the school. They graduate no more than many other universities in division 1a. They have had some of the biggest a-holes for coaches, Dan Devine, Lou Holtz. Incompetents like Faust, who did care about the players as men, but couldn't coach at a major college level. You'd have to go back to Ara Parseigan to find a good man at the helm. Though I will say Father Hesburg did right with honoring Gerry Faust contract. I respected him for that.

The thing I dispise most of ND is that people jump on the ND band wagon the way people jump on the Yankees, Lakers, Bulls (several years back) and all the other winners.

Oh, talk about the luck of the Irish. That is absolutely the truth. I have never seen a luckier football team. Most times the breaks always go their way. Lucky bounces tipped catches. Phanthom touchdowns or not stepping out of bounds when in fact the players foot was on the line..

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, if ND is #1 in those categories, Alabama has to be #1A. And Bear Bryant wasn't half the human that Devine or Holtz are. His experience against the Trojans convinced him to pretend to be for the last 10 years of his career.

Agreed.

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You confused me there. What experience against the Trojans caused him to believe what?

His biggest success came against Penn State in the Sugar Bowl, when they won the national championship. Frankly, The Bear rarely traveled out of the south. He didn't schedule people they way ND did and continues to (something to their credit) mostly it was one legit out of conference opponent and then to a Bowl game. Guys like him and Wood Hayes were bad to their players. Hayes was abusive and The Bear like Royal at Texas were aloof. He was also a damn inflexible coach with his systems. His use of the wishbone was archaic. Even Contemporaries like Broyles, Devanney, Paseigian, and Paterno would be flexible and change their offensive formations based on the available talent.

I remember that Switzer promised Aikman he would change Oklahoma's offense from the wishbone to an I or multiple set formation. He tried it for one game and benched Aikman. Next year Aikman had transfered to UCLA and the rest was history. It was a miracle Namath became a pro. His years at Bama had to have a negative effect on his development as a QB.

17. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    haha. And you're the guy who thinks the world of Barry Switzer. That makes you a good judge of Satanism?

Yeah, I guess it does...

18. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barry Switzer and his staff were out of control.

Let's see.

Someone broke into a Texas HS to alter Kerry Jackson's transcript so he had the grades to get into OU.

Most OU players majored in recreation. WTF kind of a degree is that. What do you do play pool, swim, golf and pitch horse shoes all day?

Guns, shootings and rapes in the athlete dorms. Who the hell was minding the boys. Oh I know! it was the bootleggers son. No wonder. :rolleyes:

19. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Surely y'all heard the joke what "NBC" truly stands for ;)

Notre Dame
    Broadcasting
    Company

With that said, it's fun to see NBC get the shaft on this deal, as Notre Dame has been less than stellar lately.

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    A little history on the NBA-ND deal.

Until the early 90's, the independents ruled football - Penn State, Miami, Florida State and Notre Dame were the most notable.

But these schools realized it was easier to secure a big TV deal if they joined a conference. So Penn State joined Big 10, FSU joined ACC and Miami joined the newly formed Big East football conference. But Notre Dame was (and still is to an extent) bigger than any conference so it got its own TV deal with NBC, who was hungry to get a piece of the college football pie.

21. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Maybe I'm not typical, but as a California native my despised teams are the 10 powers, Ohio State and Michigan. I still have a fondness for Clemson just because of the bowl game that got Woody Hayes fired.

After them, it was Alabama and Oklahoma because of the wishbone offense. And Nebraska, because every year they play some creampuffs and beat them 80-0.

22. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Everybody with a brain despises the Big-10 teams.

With the exception of Michigan State Basketball, of course.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Alabama team was all-White, a decade and a half after Brown v. Board. (Rumor has it that there was one Black player on the team, but no one seems to know who he was) Bryant had no plans of integrating the team until USC, with an all-Black backfield and several players of color elsewhere on the team, beat the Tide in Birmingham in 1970. Sports people joke that (USC tailback) Sam Cunningham did more to begin desegregating the South than MLK. You being from Jersey, I wouldn't expect you to know about all this, but Black people in Alabama know it like the back of their hand. It's a bit of college ball's recent history that's been swept under the rug.

Bryant had won some national championships before the '78-'79 Penn State game. That was not his first. (BTW, he shared that title with my Trojans, who beat Bama earlier that year and won the UPI poll. Bama went undefeated the next year and won the NC outright). Bryant, Johnny Vaught at Ole Miss, Bob Neyland at Tennessee, etc. didn't need to travel out of the South to recruit. You underestimate the effect of football on a region with little else going for it. These people don't care if they don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of as long as the Tide rolls. There's a saying around these parts that the three biggest figures in Alabama are Jesus Christ, George Wallace, and Bear Bryant- not necessarily in that order. :) You also underestimate the brutality of an SEC schedule- No one else in the country plays ball like they do here. Not then, not now. There ain't room for another tough game. Really. I can't blame him for this.

Much as I dislike saying so, Bryant won with the wishbone. He retired with almost as many national titles as all the coaches you mentioned combined. Joe Pa didn't get his first until '82- the year Bear retired.

I may be wrong, but I think Aikman broke his leg in that game. Switzer replaced him with freshman Jamelle Holloway and won the national championship. Aikman, seeing the writing on the wall, transferred. The rest is history.

Actually, Alabama did throw more while Namath and Stabler were there. Namath came to Tuscaloosa with questionable knees, and didn't have the speed to really run the wishbone anyhow.

24. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Notre Dame sucks. It's only a matter of time before the finally give in and join the Little 11. TV ratings continue to decline, their program continues to slip into mediocrity. The only thing that would keep this from happening is the Irish arrogance. It would be for their own good, but they still won't realize it.

Also, if they do join the Little 11, does it then become the "Little Eleven, formerly Big Ten, with Twelve Teams"?

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It seemed to take Osborne longer than it should have to figure out that he needed speed to go with that size the Huskers always had. He went to a bunch of New Year's Day bowls in the 80s and early 90s and got his ass kicked in most of them before he finally recruited some speed.