Why is China not a football power in Asia?

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Ofori, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I have always wondered why Chinese football is not on the forefront of Asian football or why China itself is not a footballing power in Asia. Biggest population in Asia. Their league, the Chinese Super League is perhaps one of the best leagues in the world to play in with elite footballers going there. Chinese born players play in that league also but for some reason China PR is not producing footballers of their own. I mean they are producing them but for some reason their footballers decide to stay at home instead of playing abroad in other leagues and they do have the coaching generally speaking but for some reason they can't seem to put it all together when it comes to qualifying for World Cups. Asian Cups they are a perennial team who is always there but for World Cups it is the exact opposite. I mean their only World Cup appearance was 2002 in Korea/Japan but they have not been back since.

I guess it just boggles my mind really.

Personally I love Chinese football and I want to see them succeed in Asia but I do have to wonder what is holding them back from being a superpower in Asian football?

2. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chinese parents tend to discourage their sons to become footballers. They much prefer their sons to become professionals like lawyers or doctors or business executives. The chances of success are much higher.