Why is attendance for Juventus home games so low?

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by ECMoney, Sep 29, 2004.

1. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Re: Record Low Ticket Sales For Juve Games Continue

Since you are talking about demographics, Italy in the next 25 to 50 years unless something changes is going to have one of the highest % of ppl with more than 65 years in the entire world and could see their actual 58 million pop. decreasing to less than 40 million.

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Another guy that thinks this is an American Sports organization

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I thought all exchange rate were locked prior to the euro switch. The company I work for deals with financial reports, and I'm pretty sure the EU didn't stitch up your country over the exchange rates - and even if they had, all salaries would have changed by exactly the same rate so there'd wouldn't be any difference at all in what your weekly wage cheque could buy. Now if unscrupulous traders decided to hike up prices after the switch to the euro in the hope people wouldn't notice, that's something else entirely.

Given that other Italian clubs don't appear to have this problem, and that Turin isn't some rural poverty-stricken backwater, I can't see how that can have anything to do with the low crowds.

4. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Im not blaming the EU at all. The only entity I blame is the Italian govt. The last sentence of your post (at least the part quoted above) hits the nail on the head. Either way, the primary entity responsible for making sure that the transition to the Euro would be transparent and clean was the Italian govt, and they dropped the ball on this one. And again, the decision (by whoever it was...) to equate 1 Euro to 1000 Lira was foolish. Im not an economics major and have spent far more time in the US than Italy in the last 3 years, but the consensus from the Italian media and population is that the transition to the Euro has been crummy.

5. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire

The populations of Milan or Turin aren't relevant. YOU stated that Italian fans had a different 'attitude' towards some games, but that cannot be true if AC Milan got 50,000.

6. obernunes

obernunes New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    California

I don't think these low crowd numbers are just for CL games. Every time I see Juventus at home in Serie A matches on GolTV or RAI International, the stadium is at least 1/3 empty, sometimes 1/2 empty.

It really is a disgrace. In the matches I've seen, the Milan teams always sell out (even with the sorry state of Inter) as does Roma.

It just raises the question again. Where does all the money come from, it can't be from ticket sales?

7. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

;) ...

8. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Simple.
    JUVENTUS is one of the world's best supported clubs and while their fanbase in Turin isn't as great as many other large clubs have in their own cities, worldwide they are Enormous.

I am a major fan but i live in T&T which is halfway around the world.
    I get quite a few Juve games on tv and follow them avidly on the net as well, but my dream will be to attend a game in Dell Alpi.

Merchandise wise.
    i got 2 official playing tops, 3 training tops, 2 caps and lots of posters.

Fan wise i concede that Juve may not draw the 67000 that regularly attend games at Old Trafford but the Bianconeri are without question one of the world's best supported clubs!

Europe's best supported clubs?
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124224

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It most certainly is relevant. Milan gets 50,000 for a game against Celtic, Juve gets over 40,000 for a game against celtic. You don't think that had Turin had another 800,000 people they might be able to draw another 10k to a match?

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Milan doesn not always sell out its matches, there are plenty of games where the stadium is a third empty. The San Sire's capacity is 85,700, in todays game they drew 59,473. That's 26,227 far less than capacity.

Let's not forget that the San Siro and the Delle Alpi are two very different stadiums, the San Siro is far more enjoyable to watch a game in. It looks like an actual football stadium whereas the Delle Alpi looks like crap. Nobody in the Delle Alpi sits on the first level, unless it's a big game where they get over 50,000 fans. If the stadium was like the San Siro and more fan friendly you'd be seeing the people sitting closer to the pitch.

11. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan

Maybe, but if Juve were to continue to play like they did against Maccabi Haifa and Udinese I'd imagine the numbers they would get would be minimal. That is only if there excitement level was static throughout the season which I'm not saying it is, but if it was I dont think it would be tolerated for long.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You can't blame Juve for yesterday's game. Udinese kept fouling every chance they got and it blocked any sort of flow to be created. The second half was a lot better and Juve started to make some nice plays and looked a lot nicer as well.

13. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan

I heard Napoli sold more season tickets than Juve, any truth here?

14. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

We didnt quite surpass them to my knowledge, but we got pretty damn close. That to me is worth more than any single trophy.

15. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How many people do you think Juve would get versus Shakhtar Donetsk?

16. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, San Siro's actual capacity is more like 78,000. I think the difference in these clubs is season tickets. Every year Milan and Inter each have 50k season ticket holders whereas Juve have maybe half that.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I knew I'd be playing the lottery regularly.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well according the AC Milan it's 85,700. I'm getting it directly from the horses mouth.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One thing that also needs to be considered is that it's a case of simple economics: ticket prices rose 50% (with no benefits whatsoever for season-subscribers) in the last 3 years and ticket sales dropped 50%.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT

It occurred to me in the last couple of days that one drawback for Juve is the lack of a competitive derby at the moment. I think when there are two or more sets of fans, it makes the FANS that much more competitive in terms of proving they are the "better" fans ie showing up for games. I think Torino fans do their best to outdo Juve fans, but the Juve fans can simply laugh and say "big deal - you're in Serie BBBBBBBBB!!!" If Torino could ever get back to the top level of the game in Italy (and at least they're showing signs of winning promotion this season), the Juve fans would start showing up again. Just a theory.

21. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My point is that Milan have already sold 40,000 tickets for that match and it will probably be close to 50,000 when game time approaches. I would say Shakhtar is about equal to Macabbi in popularity and I don't see Juve coming close to getting 40,000 for that game.

22. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Shakhtar Donetsk has quite a few international players whereas Maccabi Tel-Aviv well there isn't a name on the team sheet known to me.

Darijo Srna (Croatia)
    Francelinho Matuzalem (Brazil)
    Tomas Hubschman (Czech Republic)
    Juilius Agahowa (Nigeria)
    Razlan Rat (Romania)

They have quite a few decent players, Tel-Aviv well theydon't seem great opposition.

Shakhtar Donetsl is Ukrainian and as such maybe just maybe, more travelling fans will come to not only lend their support to the Ukrainian side but also to have another first hand glance at Ukraine's Super player, the great great
    ANDRIY SHEVCHENKO!!!

23. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, where are the people who said the Delle Alpi would be full for Bayern?

24. Tai Ga Wutz

Tai Ga Wutz New Member

Jun 4, 2002

I well understand that everyone is inhibited to call the evil by name, but I'll dare to point the finger to the everlurking S C O U R G E !

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's a great article that explains the situation in Turin. It even deals with the myth that the majority of Turin are Torino supporters.

http://members.tripod.com/bianconeri/fans2.html