Why is Arsenal.......

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by One Clean Sheet, Jul 8, 2005.

1. One Clean Sheet

One Clean Sheet New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    ........selling(or wearing) burgundy shirts at home this season? I am sorry I am a Yank and I am curious.

2. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    as you know this season is the last we play in highbury and if i'm correct we're celebrating it by wearing the first colours we wore when the stadium first opened in the 1900's.

3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Its the first kit they wore back in 1913, and this been our last year at highbury before we move to the new Emirates stadium, they thought it would be a good idea to bring back that kit as commemorative item for the season.

And nike get to make a wad of cash.

I may be wrong though, i have been ill-informed in the past.

4. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    so, we first played at highbury wearing burgundy and we'll end it on the same note.

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's a commemorative kit. They are reverting back to the first strip (*) ever worn at Highbury in order to mark their last season at the ground.

* or something based on the first strip, you will need to confirm that with an Arsenal fan!

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You wait on a response and suddenly they all come at once. :D

7. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    We're just messing with your mind, waiting for the right time to strike.

8. soccerdude_200

soccerdude_200 New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    when r we moving to the new stadium..........i thought it was 2006 and that will be this coming season.............i was wondering if we r playing the 2005 games at highbury and 2006 games at emirates stadium.

9. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    2006/2007 season we move
    the season goes for half of one year and half of another
    2005/2006 is at Highbury

10. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MT, you have turned over a new leaf!!! Good explanation.

11. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    So will you go back to the Red and White Strip in 2006/2007? Do any of you actually like the new shirt?

12. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes - I think it's pretty cool. 2006/2007 they will go back to Red/White and they will have Emirites as a sponsor instead of O2.

We will only wear the new burgandy shirt for EPL home matches. The Red/White will be used of the CL matches. Not sure what they will do for FA Cup if they reach the finals.

13. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I love the new shirt, it goes to show that Arsenal is a team with a long history and that history is important to the club. It will be strange at first to see them out there in that jersey instead of the usual red and white and I think it may have been better if they went with the classic badge, but those are minor complaints...

14. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Even if that particular slice of history began in the laundry bag of Nottingham Forest :p

(I actually like the new shirt, and am managing to keep the cynical side of me that claims it's just another way to increase revenue, quiet!)