Why I Support Azzurri not USMNT

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by bobarino, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know if any of you have been following the labor problems within the USSF. I know that this forum is for the Italian National Team, but assuming many posters, like myself, live in the land of opportunity, I thought that this would be at the least somewhat interesting.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sport...1s14soccer.html

This is why football (soccer) continues to languish in America. It's not about the love or passion for The Beautiful Game, it's all about the greed for power, control and money. Give me Serie A and the Azzurri forever. Can you imagine Italy ever sending "replacement" players or scabs to a WCQ? Unbelievable...

2. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First off, i don't know what you are talking about, it makes no scence. Second of all, your website doesnt even work.

3. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wasn't the Series A season delayed recently or there was some kind of foul up in italian soccer at the club level strictly because of economic concerns? Am I making this up?

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh please. You're painting a very broad stroke when it comes to "greed and money". Yeah, some of the douchebags at Soccer House probably are greedy pricks with love of the sport taking a backseat to the almighty dollar, but what about the bench warmers in MLS who make 20k a year? Think they're doing it for the money? Come on.

I mean, really, aside from vacations, have you ever really been to Italy?

5. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm not talking about Serie A. I'm talking about the national team. Has the F.I.G.C. ever threatened to use scab players in a World Cup Qualifying match like the USSF has said it will do with the USMNT over a labor dispute?

6. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think you missed my point, and I apologize for that. In a nutshell, the soccer braintrust (mgmt and players) in this country are constantly complaining about its lack of acceptance by mainstream sports fans, and the fact that they do not register on the Richter Scale in terms of American sports relevance and respect.

American Soccer is the last sport that can afford a labor dispute considering its constant battle to gain fan support and media respect. The fact that two friendly, WCQ tuneup matches have already been canceled by the USSF, and the threat that replacement players will be used to field a team representing the U.S. in its next WCQ, shows a lack of respect for the WC that (IMHO) does not exist any where else in the soccer world.

Risking a spot in the WC over labor issues concerning money, control, and power just doesn't make sense to me for a sport trying to gain acceptance.

As for your second question -- other than visiting mine and my wife's families during the holidays and summers over the years, no, I haven't lived in Italy.

7. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    go

root for the Azzuri

we don't want you

9. mnthunder

mnthunder Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Guatemala
    I think the situation between the USSF and the players is ridiculous. But saying that soccer in the States is about "greed for power, control and money" is much more ridiculous.

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ahh bobarino....you jump when its easy for you in this argument between Serie A and the National Team....

as someone who loves both as you do, to stand on any type of high horse is simply ridiculous considering all that's wrong with the game in Italy. From money to TV deals, officiating, the all-important "fairness", etc...

Right now the USSF is trying to get its finances under control...something Italian clubs can learn from. I dont think they are stupid enough to cost them WCQ matches, tho we'll have to wait and see.

Do you actually think italian soccer is all about love for the beautiful game and not about greed, power and money??

11. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, FIFA as a whole is a model of what should be done for the best of the game.

Sarcasm, for those of you out of the loop.

12. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Racism probably has a spot in there too and shouldn't be stuffed into the etc... category.

13. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    all too true, absolutely.

14. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Hmmm. Let's cut Ahn from Perugia just because he scored the winning goal against Italy. Yeah that seems just about right. Screw you. We don't want your support.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At least it would be fair to say that he's not a glory-hunter. :D

16. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cutting out Ahn was the decision of Gaucci, who is a world reknown charlatan. He is also the one who wanted to sign two female players as a publicity stunt. When Trezeguet scored the winner vs. Italy in the Euro 2000 final, did Juve cancel his signing?

17. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You may not want it, but you definitely could use some support. And what is happening right now within the USSF isn't the way to achieve it (IMHO). Take care.

18. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    America is too ignorant. I live new jersey but would never see a metrostars game. I do not care for the MLS, i think its a joke personly.
    If america ever won the World Cup it would be in the news for 2 days no big deal. America has football, baseball, and baketball. In Italy its mainly all soccer. That's all they care about. Not many americans take time to see how great of a sport calico is. And if they do they will see an MLS game, you can't compare Serie A to the MLS. Look at how many people go to a reglaur mls game, 5,000? if that. Look at a Inter or Milan game for the most part in the 60,000- 70,000s. Sure you can point out Juve and say look they are not selling 60-70 thousand but look at Napoli a team in Serie C, selling around 40,000. Plus im an italian before im an american. I was born in a city 30 mints from Salerno. I moved here when i was 5.

THATS WHY I SUPPORT AZZURRI AND NOT USMNT

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If you never personally see the MetroStars play, how do you know it's a joke?

20. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    gotta love it, a guy who is a fan of Napoli...rife with corruption, scandal and bankruptcy calling any other club a joke.

Doesnt sound like you have ever given the MetroStars a chance. That's a shame, and also very igorant to speak of something you've never seen.

21. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    If you guys aren't supporting the US nor MLS, then what right do you have to complain that soccer isn't poplar in America when clearly you folks are the reason for the downfall? Maybe if we had more support from you Eurosnobs, the coverage would actually be better. I don't like the attendance nor coverage, but I'm doing my part regardless by supporting it instead of hopping the bandwagon like a bunch of five-year olds and only watching those "stars" play in the boring Euro leagues. If you love the game of soccer, you would watch it regardless. I watch the boring Serie A just because it's soccer, even if it puts me to sleep, which it does.

22. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    So go back to where you came from if you're not satisfied with America. No one's asking you to stay here.

23. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    People this stupid, simple minded and ignorant make these boards fun.

Great stuff. Absolutely great stuff.

BTW - Thank God my immigrant German father had enough courage, brains and understanding to teach me that the US is now my country. It comes first becuase it gave us opportunities we never could have in the old country. Great to respect one's heritage, just don't be fooled by it.

Simple nostalgia and romanticism for the old country is the whine of fools and simpletons.

Thanks for teaching me that pop. I get it.

24. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    And I'm glad my immigrant Chinese father and Taiwanese mother told me the US is my country, not China nor Taiwan.

25. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Good for you.

I've noticed that many immigrant parents seem to be unwilling, embarrassed or afraid to tell their kids why they left their "home" countries. If it all.

They usually wax poetic the "good" things in their mind and forget the rest.

99% of the time it's persecution, freedom or a complete lack of economic opportunity that "drives" these people here. Yet, the "old country" is preached as some wonderland to the kids, who gladly sign on as youngsters who will listen to anything a parent tells them. These kids then grow up too simple minded and ignorant to put two and two together.

Sad, but reading this guys post makes it humorous. Simpleton. No other way to describe his thought process or analysis.

BTW - The greed and corruptiuon part is hilarious considering the fact that he says he is a Serie A fan. Anyone who knows the game is laughing there ass off at that one.
    Bribes, scandal, litigation, etc, etc, etyc...Italy, the moral highground of football.

Has to be a 12 year old with that firat post. HAs to be.