Why I hate Chicago

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Bill Duggan, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bill Duggan

Bill Duggan New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    MA
  2. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps we could avoid stooping to typing the word "KILL" until our fingers bleed and save the smack talk until post match (if then).

I, for one, respect Chicago. They are a good team that didn't win the Supporters' Shield on a fluke. The good news is that I think that they and the Revs are the two strongest teams in the league at the moment. They match up strength for strength across the board and thus Friday promises to be a superb match. I do think that it still sounds like Chicago is already looking past this match and that opens a door for the Revs. While Chicago has been winning lately, the Revs have even more momentum. I just hope that it's not just Beasley who thinks of the Revs as a last place team that got lucky and is just a minor obstacle to the treble for them. I hope the whole team thinks that and I hope the Revs come out with true fire in their bellies and grind out a win. No one (except the most delusional Fire fan) can deny that that is a real possibility.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping Razov pulls DMB's hair and then Curtin stomps on both smashing them, and Thornton eats the left over pies. :)

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Why I hate Chicago

How bout all of them tear their ACL's (wait, then I'll be a Mutts fan with MPF)

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the reason this thread works on the Fire board is because we don't really have alot to hate about the Revs. There's really no rivalry, just two good teams. I actually have a lot of respect for your team, they're not whiners and cheaters like this years DC squad. I don't think the Fire, or any Fire fan, are under estimating the Revolution. We know you guys are good, maybe not as good as us, but you guys are hotter. This is gonna be a hell of a game. I hope all your players stay healthy, and have a nice long off-season to rest:)

P.S. Will any Rev supporters be coming out to Chicago?

6. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we're really just a bunch of altruists.

I don't hate Chicago; I like the city actually. I don't even hate the Fire. I used to, but their two most hateable players (guess who I'm talking about;)) left and the team just don't look as cynical in its approach since Bradley high tailed it to the Rotten Apple.

However, I have the best interests of the Fire fans at heart, and I believe they won't be real fans until they've watched their team lose a few big games. Sincere appreciation, like great art, only comes with great suffering. :D

Friday night would be a great time to begin the emotional growth of the Fire followers!

7. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Re: Because we're really just a bunch of altruists.

And the MLS Cup of 2000 wasn't a big game?

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Because we're really just a bunch of altruists.

To quote Jacqueline Susanne, "Once is not Enough". :D

If you are a general Chicago sports fan, then you know what I mean by losing a few big games (you'll also know what I mean by 'suffering').

9. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    Re: Because we're really just a bunch of altruists.

In MLS terms, MLS Cup is as big as it gets. The 2000 final was enough "emotional growth" for me. Not that I wish it on you guys either, but better you then us.

Thanks for caring though...

10. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    If you take a look at a couple of obvious ingredients in the makeup of the Fire, you see they have everything it takes to become the next dynasty.

Razov, playing like a true professional and not stomping the competition anymore.. Ralph, an emerging superstar in this league.. Armas, returning to form with perfect timing.. Beasley, who, although he hasn't contributed as much as expected - is still one of the most dangerous players in the league.. Bocanegra, who is a cinch for years to come for a solid Nat defense.. Curtin, the best, unheralded defender in the league.. Thornton, back to monstrous proportions in goal after dieting from success.. Whitfield, who, if he can stay away from the 'old Fire attitude', can contribute with-the-best-of-them.. Gray, who can catch up with the fastest forwards in the league and stop them.. the emergence of Mapp...

One would have to be a fool not to recognize the strength that Chicago now has in place, and the coach has them playing, and BELIEVING - they are good.

If I didn't have any respect for momentum, I'd say the Fire will out-do the DC of old as the next 'class' of MLS royalty. But it is very possible that the momentum of the Revs could upset every objective, logical opinion that one could develop for a great side.

I, quite frankly, wouldn't mind seeing sudden death. I like this matchup... A LOT!

11. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the CTA closed "Demon Dogs", where I used to go for lunch two or three times a week.

12. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Fire fans think that losing an MLS Cup final after winning one in your first year of existence is anything remotely like the true suffering that every set of fans (except LA but after Sunday, I think they're learning) in the league has experienced.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Demon Dogs was given a 7 month lease extention. I guess you can save the hate for next season.

14. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I hate Chicago?

Probably for fielding that big-nosed freak Jerzy Podbrozny back in the day.

But in all honesty, I can actaully somewhat respect Chicago, except of course for Razov. Thats a given.

I'm expecting and excellent match.

15. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think that both of these threads are damn funny, because for the most part there isn't much for us to hate about each other. The only think I hate about NE is Franchino. You guys are a talented team that, for the most part, I respect.

Just want to ad that I don't think any member of the Chicago Fire is looking past NE. If anything they are focused on nothing but NE. It is everyone else (fans, commentators, writers, etc) who seem to be looking to the Cup already.

Exactly what was disastrous about this? It was one of the best, if not THE best, atmospheres in the league nearly all of the time. The Fire played well there. The town accepted the team and it's fans.

I, for the life of me, can't figure out the 'disaster.'

16. Cougar Jim

Cougar Jim New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Being from Chicago, I defend my city and my team, so I take this thread with a grain of salt.

But Bill Duggan DOES have a point about Dema Kovalenko...

17. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Me neither. The field looked ugly on TV, but the Revs' record there (a win and 2 draws in 5 games) was a heck of a lot better than at Soldier Field.

18. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    This seems like a little bit of pa-tooty to me (just my opinion).

Quite honestly, they've got good young players - but they're not that good. Their style is all based on disruption on defense and speed and power the attack. Very good stuff.

The Revs are a different team based on patience, control, and counter.

The Fire can certainly do some things this year that no other team can do. But so can the Revs at the point where their current maturity has taken them.

No dynasty in Chicago - ever.

19. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, because it would be completely out of character for someone like Ante Razov to suggest that the Revs had no chance of winning a do-or-die game at Soldier Field.

And certainly, someone as smart and well-spoken as DaMarcus Beasley would never look ahead to the next round of playoffs before the round he was playing in was complete. And his coach would never be so brash as to go on the record agreeing with DaMarcus if he did say something like that.

I mean, we all know that every single player on the Fire has a tremendous amount of respect for each individual player on the Revolution, and the team as a whole.

http://revsnet.matchnight.com/default.cfm?page=ARTICLE&show=161

Uh... nevermind.

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Come on.....

Momentum means something, but unless we choke, the Fire SHOULD win this match. I'm not taking the Revs lightly. I will be calling home from work to get the score...hope I can see the replay, if there is one.

Chicago fans know plenty about suffering. Just look at our current sports teams....the Fire is the best thing going in Chicago.

21. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Re: Why I hate Chicago

Nice one Beasley...you dunce. This is the kind of stuff that motivates a side. I think Beasley is overrated. He falls down alot and I'm a Fire and fan of USMNT.

22. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    I know this will rile but one can make a case that the Fire has been "near-dynasty" pretty much since the beginning. 2002 was bad but otherwise pretty solid over the long haul.

You guys deserve an MLS Cup title (IMO) but just not this year I hope.

23. redzin

redzin New Member

Jan 6, 2000
    I know this will rile but one can make a case that the Fire has been "near-dynasty" pretty much since the beginning. 2002 was bad but otherwise pretty solid over the long haul.

You guys deserve an MLS Cup title (IMO) but just not this year I hope.

24. cwhein

cwhein New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    USA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why I hate Chicago

I believe that quote from Beasley is from after the 5-1 drubbing N.E. inflicted on the Fire and not from this week because he refers to the Revs position in last place, which they weren't at the end of the season.

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know, BUT

teams don't forget these kind of quotes. These quotes stay on the locker room bulletin board and can come back to bite you on the backside.