Why H.S. soccer is so bad. (vid)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by nonya, May 11, 2012.

1. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Well maybe not bad, but just watch.

PK or not?
    Red Card or not?
    Referee position?
    Is there even an AR?

This was a boys playoff game in Georgia a couple of days ago.

2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well setting aside the point that the cameraman looks to be about as far from play as the ref... I don't know. It isn't clear. If you call it though you almost have to give the red.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    The AR is and should be off screen to the right. The touch line is the blue line, not the white. Tough call from camera angle and distance whether the contact was in or out of the PA (again, the blue line), but the AR was apparently in position to see that. (And no, that's not me.)

4. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PK - yes
    Red - no - think other defender provides enough cover
    Referee position - shocking
    AR - apparently not, at least not visible in vid

5. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Maybe because it's played on a football field with tons of different lines. Is that Blue on Green we're supposed to be able to see easily at distance? Doesn't really pop out does it.

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    It's easy enough to see when you're standing on it.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without knowing what occurred immediately prior, how are you certain of that? I actually take some comfort in the fact that the referee is clearly sprinting faster than the players once he enters the frame. It suggests that rather than him being lazy, there was a reason (valid or not) why he was caught out of position.

This is a very limited video with absolutely no context and it doesn't even clearly show if it's a foul or not. I'm not sure what the value is or how this makes a larger point at all.

NHRef and aek chicago repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Or what about it is particularly unique to HS soccer.

9. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Duh! The clock was counting DOWN! Spoiled the whole thing for me. :p

swoot and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    :ROFLMAO:

11. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Some fields I go to have football, and lacrosse lines. They also have big THICK football lines on the touchlines and endlines of the field where you're suppose to be judging in and outs of play as well as goals. I don't think that's easy...to estimate when the grass should start and when the ball is completely over an imaginary line.

12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I don't understand what you mean. The line is part of the pitch, regardless of how thick it is. The ball's either out or it's in.

13. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    No it's not that simple because 20 yards of the line is standard 4 inches wide. Yet the middle part about 60 yards I guess is a yard wide. So do you allow the ball to go all the way a yard out in the middle parts yet only 4 inches at the ends?

Some fields are just marked poorly. Like the names of the schools covering over the sides of the penalty areas making it difficult to see where they end.

14. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    PK: No, looks to be just outside
    Red: Not for DOGSO, there's the keeper and another involved defender
    Referee: Clearly trying to catch up to a fast counterattack
    AR: Presumably where he belongs outside the touchline at the 2LD.

How this is specific to HS soccer: No clue.

15. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the field is marked correctly, the outside edge of the 4" wide line is flush with the outside edge of the 36" wide line for a straight continuous boundary (so the wide line goes further into the field). The ball is out when no part of it is over the line.

16. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I'm assuming you've never played american football but the lines in American football are the boundries. So the 4 inch lines aren't at the outer edge of the 36inch line, it's on the inner edge. That's what I'm saying makes it difficult.

It wouldn't be a protest if the lines had the same outer edge, why would I complain about that? I'm complaining about eyeballing the ball in and out of play on lines that aren't clear.

17. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Played it no, watched it since I first learned how to turn on the TV, yes. Look if you are playing on a field that isn't marked for soccer, well how in the world are you playing on a field that is only marked for American football? In addition to not marking touchlines/goal lines, did they not mark a penalty area? Tell them to mark out an actual field so you can play the game.

18. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    It is marked for soccer but those lines go INTO the already existing football lines. Also I won't be the one to tell the coach to mark his new million dollar field correctly...I will be asked to not come back.

IASocFan repped this.
  19. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hang on, I think I see the problem here. Are you talking about the goal lines? If so, the white football stripe is meant to be the "grass" and the back of the end zone color is the line. The back of the soccer goal post would then be tangent to the inside edge of the white. If you are talking about the touchlines, I have a hard time believing any million dollar field is using the football sideline at all.

20. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I'm talking about the touchlines on some fields...and the end lines on others. I've been on fields where there's a color line and the endzone color, and that's simply pure yard wide white. Players tell me on those fields that when the ball touches the line it's out...I say not because there's lines that extend beyond those that are 4 inches and we use those as reference.

You can have a hard time believing it, I've seen it in 3 separate states. Usually it happens at fields where space is at a premium but sometimes not. I've even seen those fields used in High School finals, it's ridiculous.

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I think I see what you mean... the frame capture of the OP video illustrates it. But that's the (American) football sideline, not the (proper) football/soccer touch line. The touch line is ordinarily a completely separate line of a different color. I've never had to officiate on a field that was marked for soccer only with a line like that in the picture above. If I did, I would do the best I could, and then complain bitterly about it in my game report.

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Agree -- that's too narrow for a decent soccer field. but the coaches box lines, etc., may interfere with the touchlines.

One turf field in my area very nicely uses white for football and yellow for soccer, with some being the same line, quite nice actually, except the soccer field is 120 yards long so it uses the back of the football enzone lines, which are wider than the soccer lines, and matched up the insides of the lines instead of the outsides. :eek: So the goal line essentially moves an inch or two into the field outside what would be the football field. Oh well -- still much nicer to play on and ref on than many of the overused grass/dirt fields . . . .

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm sorry, but I don't understand where people get the notion that a trailing defender = cover.
    At the point of the foul, the other defender is a yard and a half behind the attacker and to the left.

While the LotG state "the location and number of defenders", the ATR states "not more than one defender between the foul and the goal, not counting the defender who committed the foul."

Clearly, this defender is not between the foul and the goal.

A trailing defender does not defeat the Defender "D".
    Likewise, the keeper is only relevant to the "Distance to Ball" "D", not the "Number of Defenders"

24. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In my opinion, the second defender has an opportunity to contest for the ball before I would expect the shot. He certainly is going to affect how the shot is taken and will make it more difficult. If he wasn't in position to make a play, fine. But I think he is.

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Disagree -- at least as you phrased it, though I doubt we actually disagree. As you quote, the ATR language is "not more than one defender" -- that "one defender" is typically the GK. If the GK isn't there for some reason, then there would have to be two other defenders to defeat the Number of Defenders D.