Why don't MLS and YA players support Soccer in the USA?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by capitalist, May 12, 2007.

1. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
  2. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    I skimmed through the annual report. Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where there is any statement that players don't support the U.S. Soccer Foundation. Maybe you read the names of donors printed at the end and didn't see any familiar names (I tried to read them but the print was too darn small). The report states that the Foundation works with both MLS and the MLS player's union to support Foundation programs including, interestingly, the fact that fines levied by MLS against players become contributions to the Foundation.

I suspect that what the Foundation and other soccer-related charities would really like from players is less their money than their time. And I'm sure that in many cases they get it. The fact that no specific players are mentioned in the annual report of the U.S. Soccer Foundation doesn't particularly mean anything.

3. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    That's what I was referring to.

I actually have the hard copy report as I've been supporting the foundation for several years now.

I sure would have liked to see Howard, McBride, Beasley, etc. in the Chairman's Circle (next to Drew Carey). It's shocking that there are only 9 individuals in the Chairman's Circle (donations of $5,000 or more).

Steve Cherundolo is listed as an MVP (donation btw $500 and $999).

4. Morfix redded

Morfix redded Red Card

Apr 22, 2007
    Re: Why don\'t MLS and YA players support Soccer in the USA?

Theirs the \"great\" support from nat supporters :rolleyes:. Usa is so far from futbol

5. frodoguevara

frodoguevara Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte Eagles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have faith brother. The soccer nation is coming. Just give it time. Ten years ago there weren't even soccer specific stadia in this country. A decade ago there was no Fox Soccer Channel, no Direct Kick package, and no MLS jerseys in Dicks Sporting goods. The wave is beginning to gain momentum, crest, and smash into our shores, and when it does soccer will be a third tier sport no more!

That being said to some support comes more in time than it does $. Right or wrong some people feel "well I've put in my time, why should I put in my money?" I'm sure that with the experience that Dempsey and others are getting over seas the feel that they are strengthening the nats, and that experience will benefit them in the long run. *please don't digress into a conversation about the differences between the international game, and the club game* Over seas club trumps country every time, but here if the nats start kicking tail people tend to notice that. Patriotism, and country pride being paramount in this country. So the people you feel aren't giving to US Soccer (the organization) may be doing more for the game in this by there actions than financial support from them ever could.

6. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004

If those who became rich playing soccer would actually give back, soccer would grow rapidly

7. diamonddnice

diamonddnice New Member

Jul 16, 2006

Their success alone has grown soccer here. Regardless, it's the US soccer Federation that needs a kick in the ass. And MLS. MLS is improving but it's still marketed largely towards suburbs and it has an image problem. Fix that and the sport will grow just fine.

8. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Sunil Gulati gave less than $100. Why don't crappy executives who ruined our coaching search giving more to charity.

It's absolutely none of our business who gives money to any charity.

9. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    True, but we would happier to see those who "made it" playing soccer give back a little to help the development of the next generation of soccer players.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    What kind of capitalist are you?

(seriously, tho, it wouldn't kill them to give a little. I bet a well written note might help some see the light. Or get fined more, at least.)

11. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    compassionate capitalist :)

12. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    that's actually quite funny? What did you think of Gulati's token gift?

13. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Gulati contributed btw $0 and $100. He clearly took the time to write the check.

Jeff Agoos also contributed an amount up to $100.

--------------------
    The U.S. Soccer Foundation's mission is to invest in people and projects that enhance, assist, and grow the sport of soccer in the United States. The Foundation was founded with the surplus funds from the 1994 FIFA World Cup with the goal of enriching the lives of children and their families through increased participation in the game of soccer.
    http://www.ussoccerfoundation.org/
    --------------------

Sounds like a worthwhile non-profit to support.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey that could be anyone from Raul Palomares to Uncle Phil!

If they invest in me I'l shake the bushes for some USMNT money!