Why don't American cities bid to host the Club World Cup? Should there be a future U.S. bid?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by 00Kevin, Nov 21, 2014.

?

What American region(s) should host our first CWC?

1. California

29.7%
  2. New York/DC/Philly

13.5%
  3. Pacific Northwest

16.2%
  4. Texas

13.5%
  5. Florida/Southeast

27.0%
  6. Midwest

8.1%
  7. New England

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other US City/region

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Canada

8.1%
  10. Nooooooooo please do not bring the CWC to North America

5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CWC 2014 is just a few weeks away. I always found it peculiar that the FIFA club world cup never comes to north america. with the exception of Brazil in 2000, every edition of the tournament has been staged in Asia or Africa. The deadline to submit bids for the club world cups of '15 '16 '17 and '18 has passed and as usual there are no north american bids (bids were Japan, India, UAE and Brazil). The CWCs are an opportunity to host a competitive tournament which features the best team from every continent, notable entrants include the european champion (bayern munich in 2014, real madrid in 2015) and one local club (in our case it would be the MLS champion)

Why is it that American cities don't bid to host this tournament?
    Lack of interest? Waste of Money?
    CWC a farce?
    Too soon after MLS playoffs?
    We don't deserve to have a team in the competition until an MLS side wins the Concacaf Champions League?
    It would interfere with our chance of hosting the real World Cup?

Would you like to see a CWC staged in North America in the near future? What cities should host it?

henryo repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Most probably have no idea what it is.

KidFlash and kenntomasch repped this.
  3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I believe the tournament is always in December.

A lot of the U.S has pretty lousy weather in December. Plus it takes place over a couple of weeks. You would pretty much have to have the tournament at big outdoor stadiums so you could have grass and draw enough of a crowd to pay for the deal. Most of those stadiums have college and/or NFL football going on at that time of year. If it was just one weekend then maybe you could shoehorn it into the schedule at some of those stadiums but since it is spread out over a couple of weekends that would be tough.

Also, FIFA was asking for a minimum $25 million bid to host the Cup for the next few years. A local organizer would have to come up with a lot of sponsors to cover that kind of money. In many of the likely hosting cities they would be competing against college bowl games for sponsorships.

Most of the stadiums are making good money hosting friendlies in the summer when they have a lot more availability. And they don't have raise as much money to get the event.

KidFlash and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondered the same thing myself. Always thought Vegas would be a perfect place, but they don't have a stadium of the caliber needed. But there are other cities that would makes sense. Orlando, Miami or Phoenix all seem good options with big enough stadiums, good weather and a tourist economy. Phoenix or Miami would have to work with the NFL for scheduling but teams play two weekends on the road all the time so very doable.

This I think is the key. If you offered these cities a chance to host it, think they would jump at the chance, but at this price it just isn't worth it.

5. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With the CWC being held about from dec 10 to dec 20th would be a terrible time to gain any kind of major audience in the US.
    This is the final month of the NFL. It is about the time that the 4 of the power 5 NCAA conferences hold their championship.
    It would be nice for the US to host so that an MLS club can compete for the first time as the host team.
    Also with NBA, NHL, and NCAA men's basketball as well getting into the swing of their season's I am not sure how much major network space would be available to even tevevise the matches.
    ESPN is loaded with both College football and basketball and NBA basketball.
    CBS, Fox, NBC as well loaded with NFL, college basketball, college football will have some games still as early bowl season begins. ABC NBA. NBC NHL and FS1 with college basketball and NBC SN NHL.
    Canada may actually be a better location in having two rectactable roof stadiums that will have all of their sports being finished. Playing outside in Canada in Dec not very ideal.
    Would that put the MLS champ in it or would Canada make a bid for one of the 3 Canadian teams. more than likley it would be an MLS club US or Canada.

Mexico would be the best North American Country but they do not even host the Gold Cup.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it that American cities don't bid to host this tournament?
    Lack of interest? Probably*. Waste of Money? Very Likely.
    CWC a farce? "Farce" may be a strong word, but it's surely not gained traction.
    Too soon after MLS playoffs? Non-factor
    We don't deserve to have a team in the competition until an MLS side wins the Concacaf Champions League? Well, we won't have a team in the competition until an MLS side wins the CONCACAF Champions League (or, let's be honest, the Cosmos do, which is inevitable), but if you mean we don't deserve to host it until we have a team in it....that's probably not correct. If there were money to be made here doing it, it would happen with an MLS team or without it. And you have to bid for these things a few years out, so it's unlikely we'd know either way.
    It would interfere with our chance of hosting the real World Cup? Why would it?

KidFlash, henryo and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The timing is a certainly one issue. For all major CONCACAF leagues, except USA and Panama, their playoffs will clash with the tournament. Even then, there would be a very short turnaround for the MLS champion should USA host the tournament. Take this years timings for example, if USA was hosting:

MLS Cup final: 6-December
    CWC play-off: 10-December (OFC v Host)
    CWC QF: 13-December

Having 3 days for prepare for a FIFA tournament after winning the MLS Cup is... well... stupid!!

Of course, when/if USA do host the tournament, they will move the MLS Cup final forward a few weeks.... but then that will mean the regular season finishes earlier.... which means it will have to start earlier or have a more compact fixture list in an already busy schedule... no easy solution!

Personally, I think that Decemeber is the worse time for the CWC. UEFA teams are in the middle of their season, CONCACAF is concentrating on playoffs. Most of CAF and AFC are also mid-season. The only confederations which this works out for are CONMEBOL (even then there is a short rest time for most leagues) and East Asia.

The end of July I think would be the best time. Most leagues are in preseason, UEFA clubs travel the world, MLS teams hosts various friendlies around this time too. Would be easier to fit in a 10 day tournament here than mid-December. Hell, UEFA might even apply to host matches!!

henryo repped this.
  8. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    For some reason, I stated that the MLS Cup final was on the 6th!!!

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    This is the main reason in my opinion. And since tournaments are awarded back-to-back you need to cough up 50M at once. You either need a dedicated sponsor like Japan with Toyota (this is their baby going back to the Intercontinental Cup days) or government support like Morocco and the UAE.

As I stated on the FIFA forum, Brazil couldn't get any government support going and India also dropped out (probably due to similar reasons) so expect the CWC to go back to Japan and the UAE for the next four years.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just send the US Open Cup champion ;)

BTW J league end their season on December 6th, I think usually they finish around the first week of December, so they do have a short turn around also (when they host).

J league is changing their format next season, so that may change.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The newly formated International Cup has been a huge success and Guinness has gotten on board as the major naming rights sponsor. So CWC would likely be a huge success if hosted by the US. I would agree though the time of the year it is scheduled, December, aside from interfering with the MLS playoffs, It would not get the same kind of excitement and support.
    In the US and Canada mid summer is the prime time of the year for soccer. In December other sports are already well engraved. Especially football in the NFL and NCAA. Hockey and Basketball are also getting a lot of attention especially NHL in Canada and NCAA in the US.
    FIFA switching dates is unlikely. Waiting until an MLS club can win the CCL is also likely not needed. The Host country getting the automatic bid the MLS could go several ways in sending a representative. A team already out of the MLS playoffs. The previous years MLS cup champion or a Supportors shield winner could represent if they are no longer in the playoffs.
    In December securing venues could be tricky as well. A better turnout would come from warmer climate locations or at indoor venues. Provided that their is no football games scheduled.

Of topic a bit. The Guinness Champions cup i think should have an MLS rep as well as a Liga MX Club.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #12 Nico Limmat, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    If I'm the CSA and scrapping together 50M I would ensure the host team is Canadian. But until FIFA relax their requirements I see the current Japan/Arab World rotation continuing. Even China refrained from bidding after declaring initial interest this time around.
    In 2011 the J. League was decided on the last day and Kashiwa Reysol had four days to prepare for their first CWC match. Not great from a ticket selling perspective either I'm sure.

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't players who played in a UEFA league and Champions League and then the World Cup be tired and want a short break before preseason for the next league season that starts in August?

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  14. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well for the UEFA teams, I envisage this being a preseason tournament, in lieu of friendlies. The World Cup and being CL finalists didnt stop Real Madrid taking part in this years International Champions Cup. Of course, I dont know how many players that also appeared in the World Cup they fielded, but their first match was on July 26.

15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Down the road a bit the US could make a bid on the CWC. For now the the G International cup has really grown fast very quickly and can be played at a good time of the year for soccer in the US.
    If Canada were looking to a possible host country, I agree that they would want one of the 3 Canadian clubs in the CWC. Hosting the WWC will be their first major FIFA event, I am sure they do not want it to be their last. Canada would have probably just two venues in which they would use. BC Place in Vancouver and RC in Toronto with both being enclosed venues being more suitable for cold Canadian winters in DEC.
    Both having good availability at that time of year.
    Especially RC in Toronto with both Jays and CFL season's over and would not have conflicts with MLS playoffs should TFC be involved.
    If using outdoor venues be ok to use THF in nearby Hamilton also be available as well as BMO reno'd. both ability to expand to 40K.
    Montreal/Ottawa possibilities would hinge on new roof. This could be the type of event in which funding for it may be able to happen from private and maybe public funding

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams like R.M. probably make more money with their friendly tours than they do with the CWC.

owian and cflsteve repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the Club World Cup?

bigredfutbol and soccersubjectively repped this.
  18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, they're about to make 5 million if they win the CWC, so if they make more than that from friendly tours, please post the info.

fridge, I disagree that summer would be a better time, for the reason Evan pointed out. It can't be lumped as a preseason event. It's better to hold it when teams are match fit. The current time of year is good, it's a good way to end the calendar year and it isn't at all confused with a preseason tournament.

Hill Giant repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 million is chump change for a club like Madrid. They participate because it's an official FIFA tournament and they have to.

They do summer friendly tours because they're lucrative, and they build the brand.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    USD 5M is still pretty good for two matches. Yes, a club like Real Madrid makes more in some pre-season tours but they also play more games.
    A tournament for Mexican clubs? :D

*ducks*

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All things being equal, yes, it's a nice chunk of change for playing two games. For a club that earned over 750 million dollars last year, and is worth nearly 3.5 billion, I'm guessing it's not something they would choose to do in the middle of the winter break when they have league play and the Champions League to worry about in the Spring. The extra travel, the extra wear and tear--would only be worth the risk of fatigue and injury if there was more prestige. I suspect they would rather skip it, but it's an official tournament so they have to play ball.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not pooh-poohing the tournament; just pointing out that in a larger business POV, the ownership almost certainly cares more about broadening the fan base in a lucrative market like the USA than beating up teams from CONCACAF and Oceania when their European competitors are taking a breather.

(Although, in this case, Ancelotti might actually be happy to keep the momentum going and keeping his guys focused and match fit).
    Burn!

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.calcioefinanza.it/2014/1...-tre-continenti-per-ricavi-da-record/?lang=en

Probably an exageration. plus that is multiple games around many countries.

24. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no money to be made, and it would be hard to get anyone in the US to pay attention to it during this time of year. The prospect of the winter World Cup in 2022 is simply a nightmare for marketing the sport in this country. Like it or not, it will always be more or less of a summer/warm season sport and never a winter sport like it is in most other countries. There's only one club in the tournament that is going to have any name recognition to casual fans. There's a reason no traditional power countries have ever hosted this.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #25 Nico Limmat, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    I disagree. By now the European teams like to drop by and pick up this trophy. It's just a week out of their schedule. You talk about brand building, what better way to do that than with the term world champion?

Not to mention the additional jersey sales with this:

[​IMG]

Hill Giant and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.