Why does Ricardo Clark continue to get call ups?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Udosean, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Udosean

Udosean Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Ok I get it, he's strong, got good speed, but this kid has the touch of a lead elephant. He is extreamly erractic on the field and cant seem to play defense without fouling. Dont get me wrong, he is a solid player, as a matter a fact he used to play for the same youth club in georgia that I played for, but to me it seems that Bradley thinks that someday this guy will just "GET IT", and I dont think that day is going to come.

2. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    The midfield struggled in general, but from my vantage point at the game, I thought Clark definitely looked sharper than Bradley. Clark busted up some possessions and also actually played a few balls forward (novel idea for a midfielder). Clark was getting after it out there, but I know he can do better. Our entire midfield can do better.

3. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored a cracker not too long ago, that's buys you at least a couple games. Plus he's one the best we got, right now, on D... I know that doesn't say much.

4. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    We are waiting to see him get crazy and kick somebody on the head

5. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    did you play for Lightning? how old are you? I played '76 lightning. Same as Clint Mathis although I was on the Lightning red starting the year he came over to Lightning and he played Lightning Gold the higher level classic team.

I wonder if Clark is taking a little more time to get into the swing of things due to being out from the suspension and not even getting as many touches on the ball as he should have been.

Really from last night the only two that deserve the no more call ups anytime soon and never threads are the outside backs.

6. genuineplastic

genuineplastic New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Texas
    Clark is a solid defender with speed and is an asset to the team. His consistent contributions to his MLS club gets him a look in the US side.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ooooooh, a 'Michael Bradley sucks' parody, the fanboys apparently running away from the actual Michael Bradley threads.

8. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause he's a bad motha...

And because he's been the best defensive midfielder to ever come out MLS from day 1.

9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Bradley wanted to pair him up with his solid RB and LB:eek:

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you. Clark wasn't great, but he was better than Bradley. At least a couple of those fouls in bad areas by Clark were committed after Bradley got abused by a Mexican player, and that player was headed toward the box (witness when Bradley allowed Bofo to simply turn right past him just outside of the box). The truth of the matter is that Bradley and Clark simply didn't form a symbiotic partnership.

11. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    He keeps getting called up becuase BB wanted to run his team with a fan vote, sort of like the NFL Pro Bowl and people on here have been asking for a long time why Clark doesn't start over Bradley.:D

12. Udosean

Udosean Member

Sep 30, 2006
    I played lightning with the 86 team. I played black, but during my time there the black and red played premier A and played in classic II tournaments.

13. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I really think Clark would be a tremendous RB, I would like to see them try it.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Because he's the best young d-mid available.

Seriously man everyone has a bad game at some point, you're acting like rico's been ************ everytime he's worn the US shirt. The dude had a bad game, just like bradley, just like corrales. It happens.

Who would you prefer to take Rico's place? Kyle Beckerman? a 40 yr old Mastroeni?

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    And everyone knows defensive midfielders neve need to cover for their fullbacks.

16. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just amazed by threads like this.

The Mexican midfield often makes ANY set of opposing midfielders look bad. Argentina, Brazil, European powers. Those guys play really well in the middle of the park. They are as organized and dynamic as any midfield in the world. Clark looked as good as anyone ever has for us in that situation -- on a day when his midfield partner looked a bit lost.

If you really watch a game, especially live at the stadium, you will see that Clark covers an amazing amount of space. (You will miss it on TV.) He is world class in his work rate and his coverage. And that means more than so many of you realize. He wins tackles. It is what wins ball games -- especially in his position. Again -- it is what wins ballgames even while you guys criticize him.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again, rediculous thread, its like we just lost this game people. 2-2 tie given our de facto two man backline isnt the end of the world.

Ricardo Clark is a good player, he's no Michael Bradley, and he sure as hell doesnt pair up well with him. But if Michael Bradley is injured or in card trouble (most likely the latter), theres no one else id like for bench depth than Ricardo Clark, perfectly comfortable with him in that role.

18. johlee991

johlee991 Member

Aug 4, 2007
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    What he said. He just fits badly with Bradley in the middle though. I think Mr. Bob thinks he's going to be the American Claude Makelele, but that's gonna be a reach, for sure.

Got to see him play a lot the past year over here in Houston on the telly and when they come visit us here in Frisco. Looks really good on the club level. If he is to play on the national team, he needs to be paired with oh... crap shoot, but perhaps... Benni F.? Hmm.... need much thought. And tacos. Gotta have tacos.

19. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guch said it... The number one concern on all USMNT fans should be finding people (preferebly taller then 5'6") who can actually play defence on the backline. We are horrible.

20. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. Ricardo is a good player, and he's still somewhat young as well. He covers acres of space, is a good defensive player, doesn't give the ball away as often as a guy like Mike Bradley, and Ricardo also has a viable long distance shot. I'm very comfortable with him in our rotation at CM.