Why does Michael Moore wear a Michigan State cap?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Catfish, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He still sports it after all these years. I saw a few things here and there on the Net that said he didn't even attend MSU.

So what gives? Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't play for the Mets but I wear their cap

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He didn't attend Michigan State but he was a regular at their cafeteria. :D

4. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    LOL. Seriously, Moore spent some time at the University of Michigan at Flint (not Ann Arbor as some folks believe) but did not graduate and began his career writing for the local free weekly paper there.

I don't know where his affinity for MSU comes from. He used to wear a Detroit Tigers cap for many years and I've seen photos of him wearing other college caps that were probably gifts from students at schools where he has spoken.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I heard all of that too, but just curious as to why he is mostly seen with a MSU cap on?

6. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    It took me about .21 seconds to think of three people of my immediate acquaintance who are ardent University of Washington football fans despite never having been students there. Only one of them even bothered with graduating from a four-year school.

If this phenomenon happens in Washington, I don't see why it can't happen in Michigan. Or Alabama. Or Florida. Or Texas. Or North Carolina. Or Maryland. Or California. Or ...

7. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    To cover his head.

He never played for the Detroit Tigers, either. The guy has a collection of baseball caps. If someone sent him a Columbus Crew hat, he'd probably wear that, too.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, fine. I understand your logic and agree, but why not U of Michigan instead, they are much better overall in sports. But MSU was a pioneer in civil rights and student admittance.

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    :rolleyes:

And with that, I'm out of this thread and on to more important things. Like the Dick Cheney/Washington Nationals thread. Or maybe I can go find some weird news for my weird news thread.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. I still can't figure out why God created NC State fans.

11. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I can assure you this is definitely the case in Michigan -- only it happens with the good school here in Ann Arbor, not that piece of trash up in East Lansing! :) (I kid, I kid, theres nothing like an MSU party, especially after they lose in Basketball).

State fans are either alumni or from the Lansing area, with pockets of fans further up north, but the rest of Michigan is pretty much Maize and Blue.

I've always found it odd that he wears a state cap as well, but perhaps its just one of his favorites?

12. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    maybe they just happen to make the biggest caps in the world, which happen to be the only ones he can fit his stupid big fat head into?

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    He probably grew up a Spartans fan, nothing wrong with that. Plenty of things to bash Moore on, but that isn't one of them (I'm just glad he doesn't wear a BC hat!!).

14. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    Well, as you well know, my alma mater Wisconsin are the national champs but I doubt Moore would wear a cap with 'W' on it.:p

Awesome game by BC by the way! That final shot...wow!

With a young team like that, the Eagles (my mom's alma mater) will be a strong contender for the rest of the decade. :)

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Don't know if you follow the Hockey board....but yeah, some friends and I drove from ********ing Boston to Milwaukee for those games. Nobody expected us to make it that far, and if we couldn't win the championship I'm glad an Eaves won it. And you guys clearly deserved the win--had the better team, which is no knock on us considering our team was about half freshmen. That said, none of those facts made it any less heartbreaking.

As for the last shot.....my seats were 3 rows back, in the corner, and I could see everything that was going on in the goal in front of me very clearly. I'm just extremely glad that BC had the goal in front of me in the 1st and 3rd periods of that game. If I'd had to watch Harrold's shot clang off the post in brutal up-close detail it would've taken about 20 years off my life (that's on top of the 15 years already taken off my life by that weekend, what with its several days of binge drinking, eating of fast food for every meal, long hours crammed in a Honda Accord, and disappointing hockey results)

16. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    He either wears it cause he's a fan (shocking possibility, I know) or he just needed a cap to cover his head and wanted to represent his home state. And why Michigan State over Michigan? That's easy, Michigan State is a cow college that jives better with his projected image than the University of Michigan which usually bitches and moans about how it is supposedly as good as an Ivy and aspires to be viewed as an elite school.

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    We are known as an elite school. Makes the girls not quite as hot, but damn there are some freaks here...

18. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    No, MSU is much better than Michigan.

Besides having a MUCH better basketball team, we also have a better soccer team, a better baseball team, a better hockey team, a better (pretty much every) team.

The only thing they beat us in regularly is football, but it's usually a pretty close game (the last two have gone into overtime).

Michigan is only precieved to be better in sports because they are a "football powerhouse", but realistically that's the only thing they are good at.

So far this year in the major sports:

Football: 0-1
    LOSS 31-34

Basketball: 1-1
    LOSS 67-72
    WIN 90-71

Hockey: 2-0-3
    TIE 3-3
    WIN 2-0
    TIE 1-1
    TIE 5-5
    WIN 4-1

Soccer: 2-0
    WIN 2-0
    WIN 1-0

Baseball: Don't play each other til April 28.

Michigan State has 5 wins, 2 losses, and 3 draws against Michigan.

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I ment overall NCAA trophies. I know that MSU is not great at football, but excellent at basketball.

20. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Flint is closer to East Lansing than Ann Arbor. Pretty simple.

I'm not going with him wearing it for anything truly deep like being a pioneer for civil rights or something, he's probably just a fan.

The only thing even remotely political about it might be that MSU is more down to earth than UM, and Flint pretty much defines blue-collar.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another thread, I found out that Michigan only has 2 football championships, which shocked the hell out of me. MSU got one in 1965 (actually I'm 95% sure it was half of one) and I think they won one in the early 50s. So while overall Michigan is way better, in terms of championships, it's close.

In basketball, it's MSU 2, MU 1, so that's close, too.

Michigan has got to be among the leaders in losses in the final game...76, 92, 93, off the top of my head. Did one of the Cazzie Russell teams lose in the championship game?

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bro, you have no idea... it's said that that the most rabid Crimson Tide fans are those who couldn't qualify academically.

23. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the college basketball thread, which asks how many schools have won in men's basketball and in football. Someone had a link to UPI and AP polls.

Your link includes several from before the Taft presidency. Good luck with that. ;) (My grandfather and uncle are UM alumni.)

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that's probably true for many of the most rabid (....:p ....) Dawgs fans as well.