Why do you support the team/s you support?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by DNA, Nov 22, 2004.

1. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I personally support U.N.A.M Pumas because the first futbol game I saw live was Pumas vs America at Estadio Olympico Universitario about 15 years ago. I don't even remember who won or anything all I remember is that I had a good time. My uncle being a graduate from U.N.A.M took me to watch that game and I have been a fan ever since.

How about you guys?

2. melman152003

melman152003 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Chi-Town
    I used to love my Toros de Celaya because that was were I was from but since they sold the team my team has been Cruz Azul because I went once to a Celaya vs. Cruz Azul game and just like the team ever since.

3. Makaveli 13

Makaveli 13 New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    > Guadalajara <

> Since i was raised....my dad always taught me about the '80s Chivas and stuff like that. I remember seein' Chiva games and i would be like..wow..great team. I have Chivas blood. I went to Chivas-Toros Neza whent they were campeones in '97. That oepened my eyes even more w/ my love for Chivas. The ambiente and crowd (Hinchas, porras, Estadio Jalisco, etc. ) was great. I remeber when i went to Chivas-America in Chicago a couple of months ago.... Chivas 1-0 wilas :cool: . El ambiente made my day. Being in the Hinch Chiva in Chivas-Atlas in Chicago was a great feeling. Guadalajara's tradition is important too. ONLY MEXICANOS :cool: . <

> Atlas <

> Well....as much Chiva that i am...also Zorro :D . I got influenced from my uncle and also my dad (he's a Chiva-zorro like me). Atlas's way of playing has always fasinated me. I was really upset when they lost vs. Toluca in '99. That team was great. Osorno...R.marquez...Zepeda....Cabuto....Andrade....Morales...etc. Ive been to many Atlas games...one in California were they played vs. aToluca in Spartan Stadium...and at the last minust..Osorno scores and makes it 3-2.
    Atlas has young plyrs...and thats whu i like about them. They give chances to young players. PLus they have some great goalies (Oswaldo Sanchez...Erubay Cabuto....Somethin' Navarete....Anotnio Perez..Roberto carlos Castro) <

4. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support Man Utd because in the early 90's when they'd show hi-lites on the old SportsChannel, the Red Devils always played the most attractive soccer to me. Little did I realize I was falling in love with one of "those teams"!

I support SJ Earthquakes because they were the first major professional team I had the chance to go see when I wanted to (my fav team in the NASL was the Vancouver Whitecaps, but I was only like 13-14 & living in No Cal)

Lee

5. Makaveli 13

Makaveli 13 New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    > I would always go check out San Jose Clash's matches at Spartan Stadium. I lived right there in San jose thats why. <

6. Numero_9

Numero_9 Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I like Morelia since i was born there and theyre a decent team. And i like Toluca because of their offensive play and how they always have good seasons. And its something different rather than the usual Chivas or Pumas or America or Cruz Azul. now we should make a thread explaining y we dislike some teams or we can just use this one for both explanations.

7. AtlasZorritoX4

AtlasZorritoX4 New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    ~NORTHERN CAL14NIA~
    Since i was about 11 years old my dad kept taking me to these games in California...Atlas-Amer....Atlas-Morelia..and etc. But ever since I met Jose de Jesus Corona last year ive been a fan.

~SOY ROGI-NEGRO POR CORAZON~

8. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I guess I follow Tecos most closely because of my stupid brother.

Typical conversation:

Thrashboy: "Dude, Tecos are going to beat Chivas on Saturday."
    Me: "Uh, if you say so."
    T: "I'm calling it now, Leaño scores the winning goal."
    Me: "More like the winning own goal."

Plus I have two friends who go to UAG.

9. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was 4 years old when my grandfather took me to my 1st game, the 1975 final in the Azteca between AMERICA and U de G. AMERICA won 1-0, goal Kiesse. We also lived about 5 minutes from their training facilities in Coapa ... AMERICANISTA ever since !!!

Futbol is the only sport I really follow and since I live in the Bay Area, SJ Earthquakes have become my 2nd team. I just love the feeling of being at a soccer stadium, being with friends, drink some chelas, look at the girls ...

10. ut8man

ut8man Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The SLC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whatever happened to Pavon?

11. ut8man

ut8man Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The SLC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is part of a previous post of mine, I lived in Mexico City for two years and this is why I support La Maquina Celeste...

"...Being a huge sports fan and a big soccer fan I knew I had to chose a team to affiliate myself with. It seemed like people were fans of mainly 4 teams; America, Chivas, Cruz Azul and UNAM. Necaxa had just won the title with Aguinaga (que feo) and Delgado, they had some fans and in two years I never met one Atlante fan. (I actually lived in Cuatitlan-Izcalli right next to Necaxa's training center.) But these two just didn't factor in to the big picture. Now you have to realize that I was there as a missionary so I didn't have any time to watch soccer games or read newspapers. So what I learned was just from talking to the people. I didn't like America because it seemed like they were the Yankees of Mexican soccer. I hate the Yankees and I can't stand people that are only fans when their team is on top or because it is the fashonable team to like. Las Chivas were from Guadalajara so they were never considered. I spent my time in the northern part of the city and el Estado de Mexico so I was far from CU. To me it was cool that Cruz Azul had a big following of people that just seemed to be normal, hard working, everyday sort of people- Los Cementeros. That and a friend in Izcalli was a fan, so I jumped on and just went with them. A proud Azulino. I did get to go to one game right before I went home. I was December 2000 at Estadio Azul and the "vuelta" of the liguilla match up with Atlas. We lost."

12. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Club America. Why am I a fan? Devine Intervention....

13. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    With that name I always though you were a Cruz Azul fan.

14. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I'll say...thank god you arent a fan of my team :D

15. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When I first signed up with bigsoccer, it was to talk about the Earthquakes and I was "trying" to be creative. It wasn't until later that I have started participating in Mexico's forum. Therefore the confusion and what in this forum is a lame handle ....

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always been a Chicago sports fan, well except for the Cubs, Go Sox!!) since that is where I was born and raised. I was a huge fan of the Chicago Sting from the old NASL and with teh inception of the Fire I have become a huge fan of theirs.

As for teams around the world, I enjoy watching Boca Jrs, I like Man Utd and Bayern Munich. I try to watch as many games as I can on Fox Sports World and I really enjoy watching the different leagues worldwide to see the differences in play and style.

17. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Why do i support Chivas ? Call it fate if you will.. I grew up in Los Angeles when all their major teams were doing well.. The Dodgers with fernandomania and their World Series win, the Lakers with Magic Johnson, Gretzky with the Kings and the Raiders not sure what they won but they used to be on everyones list, Raider Nation.. With all those good teams and great players i never really caught on and followed any of those teams. Instead it was Mexico losing to Norway in the World Cup 94 that made me a fan.. It was weird considering i had never followed Mex in Olympics or any other sport..

None of my family or friends followed footy so i was by myself,, I used to go visit my friend across the street and his old man is a hugue soccer fan and he and his mates would allways be watching the games on t.v. so i ended up hanging out with them and they would take me to bars to watch the liguilla games and to the stadium when Mexico was in town.. Well they happned to all be from Guadalajara and thus Chivas fans and as fate would have it my family is also from Guadalajara and my grandparents were also Chivistas.. So i guess it was just meant to be..

18. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    I too was very impressed with Atlas while being coached by Lavolpe!

They were playing some attractive futbol then!

I will always have respect that team.

19. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    MFL

Club Necaxa

Simply put, I became a fan once I heard they were coming to Aguascalientes. I was even hoping for a name change to something such as Club Deportivo Aguascalientes or Club San Marcos. I remember taking some heat on these boards for suggesting that.

Prior to that I was a fan of the team from Aguascalientes (Gallos) who were playing in the Primera "A". They came close to making it to the Primera only to lose in the Finals of the Primera "A". Shortly after they were purchased and moved to Guadalajara prior to Necaxa's coming to Aguascalientes and I think they became Club Tapatio.

MLS

Chivas USA

Prior to becoming a Chivas USA fan, I am proud to say that I have supported MLS since 1996. Wanting to see the sport grow here in the states and also to see some live futbol, I would make a point to attend at least 5 Galaxy matches a year.

Some have asked if I was ever emotionally tied to the Galaxy. I can't say that I didn't mind if the Galaxy won, because this made for a better atmosphere at the stadium since the crowd would become more involved in the match. Yet I just never had that gut feeling that said this was my team. So the answer to that question would be "No".

The only constant would be my dislike of the Columbus Crew. Reading racist post after racist post on these boards by many (not all) of their fans on these boards have led me to feel this way (yet this topic is most likely suited for another thread).

Upon hearing that Chivas USA was coming to town and that it would be owned by a Mexican entrepreneur and have a Latin flavor to the team, I told myself this is what I wanted all along and yet never quite knew it with all my years of supporting the league.

Another factor of me becoming a Chivas USA fans was reading all the xenophobic posts on BigSoccer in regard to Chivas USA. The choice was easy; Chivas USA would be my team to support in MLS.

20. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Club America

It's simple really. Win or lose, we are the best.

21. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Sig?

FDP.......

Where did you get that sig about JLG?

22. nergserg

nergserg Member

Jan 15, 2004
    SoCal
    So when I joined these boards I picked Santos because they once played in Estado Francisco Villa in Zacatecas, are nortenos, and because everyone else was either chivas or america. If I had to pick, I figured it is better I pick a different team than everyone else than pick the same ones or not pick one at all. Other than that, I always root for Chivas. My family is from southern Zacatecas, so trips to Guadalajara were frequent. I am pretty sure people on these boards follow more than one team in the MFL or just enjoy the spectacle.

And now I am a Chivas USA fan. Torres is from the high school I graduated from and also the same hood. My brother also keeps in touch with some of his family too. So now I have a new allegiance. I wish him the best. I thought the Galaxy offensive schemes hindered his potential and vision. Now its his chance to shine. VAMOS CABRON!

23. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    queer

24. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I like sports in general as you fellas might of noted. I started to follow futbol I would say after USA 94. That's when I began to follow the odd teams located near our town in Mexico. By the time France 98 came around I knew some of the players and began to follow more closely. Around that time Chicago recieved a MLS franchise, the Chicago Fire. I went to the first few games by myself knowing that friends did not like soccer. After that I was hooked! It became the only sport that I truly cared about. 1998 I was at all the Fire games and by that time most of friends all liked going to the games with me. Ever since then it's been a big party to go to a Fire game. I knew that Mexico had teams so when I traveled back to Mexico my cousin and I started to talk about his team Chivas who at the time was Bankrupt and in dire trouble if my memory serves me right. Anyway he asked me who I like I named a lot of teams that at that point I knew very little about, but not Chivas he asked what I had aganist his Chivas. I told him that I find odd that Mexico's most famoust teams is in financial trouble and that I could not get behind a team that struggling to pay its bills when they make tons of cash. As time went by thanks to Megatron and the fact that I liked Lapuente I began to watch America play weekly and soon after that I became a solid fan of America. I like the Fire still, but the league leaves a lot to be desired. I'll never turn my back on my teams.

25. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    Why am I an America fan ?
    Well at one time as a kid, and I didnt know better I was a Chivas Fan :mad:
    Hell, I still have a Jersey worn by Daniel Guzman and signed by all the Super Chivas , But since the days of Behacker, Blanco, Del Olmo,Biyik,kalucha and team . I enjoyed the way America played and I just started watching America and would rather see America Win then the chivas . Lately though (this year) I avoid watching the Team since its only a shadow of what it once was and its depressing to watch . The team needs to make some drastic changes ! .