Why do we only play real competition every 4 years?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Allamerican74, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Was just thinking about this but if we're all completely honest and forthright we have no idea how most of our 1st teamers (doesn't matter who we think they are) will perform against real competition when it matters. I don't think we can base things on friendlies to really judge anyone's performance especially the recent ones. So we're left with only knowing this when we are in the World Cup every 4 years. We don't even have something along the lines of the Euro competition so we're facing good teams at least every 2 years if not every year. If the US wants to get to the next level we will need to address this. Some say Copa America which I would be a fan of and others have even stated merging our federation with CONMEBOL which is intriguing. Whatever it is we should probably start thinking about it because it will be difficult to evaluate our players always playing island countries.

2. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I hope we get invited to next years Copa America... we could have been seeded with a good performance in the last one and we turned it down.

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Well, we do put together the teams we need to assemble for World Cup Qualifying. I'd say that there is "real" competition when we have to play at The Office, at Mazatenango, at Saprissa, at Edmonton, at Panama City, or at Azteca. I think CONCACAF may have the toughest road matches in the entire world.

After all, we do have Columbus.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I would love to see the US play in Copa America.

Competitive matches vs Argentina and Brazil is what the USA need to take that next step.

5. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong playing better teams will help us but i think in many way our players have taken the next since so many more are playing in europe. Now it's the coaches turn to get overseas and coach/managa.

6. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is true, we very seldom assemble our best for a meaningful tourney. even if we went to copa, we would send untested players. the two most recent confederations cups (99 and 02) was the same. the us needs to take other competitions seriously. look at africa and europe. they take there championships seriosly, why can't the concacaf? all it would take would be for us to send our full-strength team once, after we beat countries 5 or 6 to nil, the other countries would follow suit too.

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    That doesn't matter if we can't turn it into results at international tournaments. Competiting in the Copa America is a great chance to turn it into results. We were actually pretty competitive in 1995, so we'd be even more competitive now - perhaps even a contender?

Copa America is an international tournament and a good one. To be honest, I'd love to see the USA enter CONMEBOL. We might miss qualifying now and then, but it'd be worth it up our game.

8. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    We are too far from Europe to fly all of our overseas players home for every game that isn't essential to our World Cup qualifying process. Check out the news stories about how many European club coaches and players were complaining about the CAF Nations Cup earlier this year

9. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005
    But if the US wants to become an 'elite' soccer nation like england, italy, brazil, argentina, etc. they will have to do much more than play in very hostile environments. Euro and SA teams play in very hostile environments too, but their competition is much more difficult. For example, I would much rather play Costa Rica in Saprissa than having to travel to Turkey for a WCQ.

I think if you really wanna see some good competition for the US invite England or Italy to the next gold cup instead of a team like South Africa. They will put butts in the seats, bring in big revenues and media attention, and are in their off season so we could see some great players. But thats just my idea...

10. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    They tried that already: it was called the Nike U.S. Cup.

It deserves a revival -- I'd have made sure to have invited Brazil, Mexico, and Spain.

11. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Granted it would be hard to fly all our best players in consistently but at least give the effort. Play in Copa, send the best team in that is possible, and try to win the damn thing. Schedule some European POWERS more than once every 4 years. Poland is good but not a power whatsoever. Please, PLEASE dont tell me that CONCACAF opponents are the toughest road games in the world again. They are tough yes, but not the toughest road games in the world.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm.

As a group, the road games in the hex are tougher than your typical group in Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Europe. Dunno about CONMEBOL...just having to go on the road against great squads like Brazil and Argentina, and then a mile high against Bolivia, and against good teams like the Guays and Chile, that's probably the toughest collection of road games in qualifying.

But the hex is 2nd.

13. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Good point ... but CONMEBOL is only one big round. Everyone is in, regardless. In the Hex, the teams are already battle-tested from a semifinal round. There are no weak links in CONCACAF's hexagonal.

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... Panama was a bit of a pushover. Someone like that always gets through at the expense of a complacent better team. This time it was Jamaica. That would have made it a damn tough hex.

15. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I heard someone said this after the last WC, why hasn't happened yet in 4 yrs time ?

16. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that unless things change, the Copa America is no more competitive than the Confederations Cup. They are, mostly, glorified friendlies.

Now if that changes, if the copa America truly becomes a tournament like the Euros where everybody is bringing everything they have to try and win it, well then I think it becomes imperative we get involved in some way.

The problem is that it hasn't been that way in a while.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    We already have the Gold Cup next year, screw the Copa America.

18. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You guys put too much stock in Copa America. Brazil and Argentina don't even send their top teams to it...

19. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last time i remember a discussion on this from a long time ago...the arguments of many of the people who wanted to keep the US team from playing Copa America went something like this:

-"we have to focus our energies on tourneys that capture the imagination of the American public, like the WC and the Olympics"
    Of course, we went on to NOT qualify to the Olympics last time..
    - "MLS is developing and we ought to let it keep their stars.. "
    You/anyone be the judge on whether taking 10-14 players from their MLS clubs really affect that long regular season where teams at times seem too lackadaisical to care....just like their coaches....
    -"COpa America participants send their B teams, it's not not good enough for the US"
    Struggled in the Confederations CUp in 03....
    And we struggled vs. Jamaica a week ago..... won the last GC at home vs. almighty Panama on PKs..... lost to England's B team.... and if two out of the 3 CA groups have Argentina or Brazil's B teams (i recall Argies came over not long ago and beat the US handily with that 'B' team, same with Brazil's U-23 team)..then by all means we should meet them even in that situation (ie not the best squads) , and i believe the players in the US would learn a thing or two about playing in intimidating atmospheres.... certainly do not want to see another GErmany-type debacle.... where people seem too intimidated and lacking in concentration (perhaps as a result?)

and a strong argument to play CA is also the HIspanic audience....IIRC, some MLS honcho had said that a large % of MLS fandom (at least compared to the genral population, don't remember all that accurately) is HIspanic...SO what better way to show our best MLS players to those HIspanics in the US that do not watch MLS Soccer Saturdays..... or do not ever think of purchasing DIrect KIck, than by having the US (and hence, many of the current American MLS stars) playing against the nations they follow back in their native countries?

Sort of the same reason i think MLS is doing the right thing having a club play in SUdamericana.....

20. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    It's not just a matter of playing in major tournaments, it's also the qualification process for those tournaments. Euro teams go through near non-stop meaningful games (EURO quals start in August). That is invaluable experience.

If I had a magic wand, I'd merge the Gold Cup and Copa America, play it every four years (in non-WC even numbered years), and have a fairly grueling qualification process to get the field down to 8 teams. If you assume four qualification groups (top two advance) with us, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina top seeds in those groups, you still set up some pretty impressive and meaningful games. Play it all on FIFA dates, and Bob's your uncle.

It'll never happen, of course.

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    We should have lost in the semifinal round at Panama City, but we got help from a mud puddle, Cobi Jones, and a referee's assistant who went to the Peter Predergast School of Officiating.

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    That's because there are two football federations in the Western Hemisphere. There is only one in field hockey, which results in pain and suffering when one-half of the globe only sends one team to major international competitions.

23. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm slow, but wth?

24. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Bob's your uncle. It's an expression that means something like 'and there you go' or 'you're all set'.

Point being? I said it would never happen, and I'm not saying merge the federations, but merge their championship tournaments (not WC qualifying).

Rather than having weak competition plus a couple invited nations which may or may not give a rat's as (is the Brazilian nation really captivated when they send a team to the Gold Cup?), why not have a qualification process that would involve tough, meaningful matches followed by a very strong field in the final tournament?

Again, it'll never happen.

25. OCKlinsmann

OCKlinsmann Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd always thought we need a World Cup every 2 years...but since UEFA have their own private money maker on Off World Cup even # years....they would not come. So why doesn't the US just Host a tourney during the European Championships...and invite the best 64 non-uefa teams based on FIFA rank....no qualifying nonsense...straight knockout tourney...NCAA style?

Just thinkin out loud?