Why do we hate Bush (today)?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Demosthenes, Oct 23, 2003.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    We "forgot" after September 11.

I'd rather we be in debt than dead.

2. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, they're not mutually exclusive alternatives....and the difference between those two outcomes will be trivial for the subsequent generations that have to cope with that debt.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some people like to have it both ways. They blame the deficits on the tax cuts but they cannot accept the fact that the tax cuts created a stimulous. Do you have a small business? Do you have to meet payroll every month? If so, then you surely must appreciate how the tax cut helped you. It helped me to be able to rehire two workers. That is nothing to you maybe, but I am but a small grain of sand in the economy, and for those two workers it means a lot.

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Let me make this short and sweet, since I'm fed up with this argument.

First off, that's what I heard the last time we were in debt. The "next generation" would be saddled with it for eternity. Well, it went away like a shot when the economy roared back.

And the next generation will have to deal with whatever hand they have dealt to them. This current one is fighting for the country's life. If that inconveniences your beloved "next generation," tell them that's tough luck. It will be their contribution to our current struggle. They don't think they should have to make one? Ask them why they deserve a free ride.

5. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Re: Re: Why do we hate Bush (today)?

Yes one can say that but I wouldn't. Remember how many stories their were about the terrors that awaited the US military in Afganistan? They kicked the Russian's butt. Many of us were unsure how we were going to defeat them this time. I think most of us were surprised how easy it was to defeat the taliban in Afganistan so I doubt there would have been the stomach to do it before 9/11, no matter who was president.

Maybe one can say that Clinto should have bombed Afgani terrorist camps more often but the thinking at that time was that the Israel/Palistinian conflict was the source of terrorism.

Don't underestimate the American people's ability to think "Terrorism is no longer much of a threat" and that we will want to go to sleap again. Sooner or later we will elect someone who doesn't take terrorism as seriously as he should. Then a couple of years later BOOM!, it will happen again and we will take it seriously again.

This is a long, hopefully less than a 100 year, battle against people who find the sense of purpose in their lives through killing. We will need reminding of that from time to time.

6. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Re: Re: Why do we hate Bush (today)?

Uh, no. When Bush was still on the campaign trail and the economy was still booming, he wanted to cut taxes. A lot. You're acting as if he didn't intend to cut taxes until the economy started heading south. All he has wanted to do is cut taxes, regardless of the health of the nation or the effect on the budget. The only thing that changed when the economy tanked was his stated rationale.