Why do so many BSers place so much hope in JOB???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USAin2006, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I don't have JOB in my starting midfield, but I'd pencil him in as 1st option off the bench in midfield, although convey is a close 2nd....

o'brien does many of the same things reyna can do, and after those two, as many have pointed out, the drop-off is huge....

so if o'brien is reyna's caddy, can handle 15-20 minutes per match, that's a threshold where I have him on the side...

if JOB can handle more, that's gravy..

2. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Actually, I don't think that says anything at all. FC Dallas fans don't want to pay full price for an player who didn't play all season and is very likely going to be sold to Europe by MLS without them having a say.

But EJ as a player? They want him. They'd be retarded not to.

As for JOB, I think multiple quotes from Arena show he has not delusions about JOB's status with the team. He is a terrific player, but is always hurt. If he's healthy, great. If he's not, well no big deal because that's what we're expecting.

But I do think JOB gives the US team something no one else on the roster can. A central mid with athleticism, creativity, offensive ability, and sublime passing skills. He is much better offensively than Reyna. He's unique on the team.

But, we could plug in Mastroeni for him, or rearrange the lineup to replace him, as we have some midfield talent. At forward, though, there is an ENORMOUS dropoff after EJ and McBride. That's why EJ is so important. Just because in his absence, the US is far less potent offensively.

3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, that fans are idiots?

Or as stated above, he is not worth it because of his high salary and USMNT committments?

Or both?

4. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8

and he was easily our best field player at the last world cup

this guy is incredible when healthy... but as we all know, that's rare

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping he is able to get on the field in some capacity in Germany, obviously. For a while there he was looking like the heir apparent to Reyna, to answer the thread starters question. He has the talent to be that player, but he doesn't have the health. I'm pretty aggrivated with being teased with this kind of midfield talent. Mathis' star was damn bright before he fell from grace and Johnny O. was, as stated above, sublime to watch at his peak. But he just can't keep his body together.

That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes, I guess.

6. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    1. Goal against Portugal (was brilliant in midfield)

2. Assist against South Korea

3. "MLS assist" against Mexico

4. Phenomenal against Germany

There are four reasons from the biggest stage in soccer.

7. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are a lot of delusional folks on here, i'll never argue that (although some would say i'm chief amongst them ;) ). but i'll lay much of the blame for this on Arena. HE is the one that keeps bring up JOB's name.

he always mentions his name as etched in his "ideal lineups" or his "ideal midfield." and, yeah, i understand the concept of "ideal," but at some point you just gotta get more pragmatic. my ideal midfield for the US would have Totti and Vieira in it, but guess what--neither is American, so that ideal lineup doesn't do us a whole lot of good.

yes, i know he is quality and, in peak form and fitness, better than any alternative we have. but i rate the chances of him magically getting to peak form and fitness by June '06 at 15-20%. it's one thing to fantasize about having him, but let's not depend or rely on having him.

8. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It isn't because JOB is required. It isn't because JOB is playing well. It is because JOB is the best player to have ever made an appearance for the USMNT.

Our best Olympic team had him running the midfield. That teamd happened to do pretty well against a Czech team that features some of the players we will be playing against this summer too. 8)

Two of our three World Cup wins over the last 15 years have come with JOB starting in the middle of the midfield. JOB was excellent against Portugal aside from an unlucky clearance. JOB set Mathis up perfectly against Korea and played very well. JOB was stellar yet again against Mexico and...well...even kept Blanco from getting a point blank header with "a little bit the head of JOB". We also remember JOB looking excellent against Italy and Holland in the run up to the Japorea.

JOB and Pablo are the *only* midfielders for the US to have started two World Cup wins in the midfield. Think about that.

JOB is good. JOB is like a lucky rabbit's foot. JOB is...always broken. 8(

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he'll ever be in 'peak form and fitness' again. :(

10. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't think he even has a shot at being healthy enough to be in a position to make the first XI come kickoff vs Czech Republic. but some would say i have defeatist tendencies.

which reminds me: i will bet anyone, ANYTHING that JOB is not on the field when when the ref blows his whistle to kickoff our match with Czech Rep. on June 12th, 2006. any stakes you want: avatar, sig line, money, pride, karma ... anything you can think of. BTW, to this point, i've had exactly zero takers.

it's funny, b/c we've got all these people on here who have "JOB" etched in to their WC starting XI ... yet no one -- even the JOB kool-aid drinkers -- will go any where near a wager like that.

BTW i sincerely would LOVE to be wrong on this. i would love for JOB to be on the field in WC 2006.

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was at the HDC today. Wasn't with the national team, but with some other guys. I guess he is still rehabbing.

james

12. Tertius

Tertius Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Delray Beach, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    I would take that bet. I've no idea what to actually wager on such a thing, but I would still consider it a decent bet.

13. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually, it's a horrible bet, without odds.

i wouldn't take that bet (at 50-50) for anyone, much less made-of-glass JOB. there's just too many things that could happen: he could get a long term injury at ANY POINT from now until June 12. he could hurt himself in training, on the last session before the match. he could get food poisoning the night before. he could sprain his ankle coming down the steps of the team bus the morning of. he could get abducted by terrorists on the way to the pitch. he could walk under a falling piano on his way back to the hotel. of course he's not wiley coyote though.

you've got way too many variables against you and very little in your favor. other than the fact that Bruce has one huge man-crush on him, and will likely play him if he's anywhere near 85-90%.

but i will certainly indulge you, if you wish to partake. i'll sport a crystal palace avatar for 6 months, if you like. i'll sport an I DOUBTED JOB sig line for a year. whatever you want. you can be creative.

again, i would love to be wrong. that would mean we are starting a skilled midfield in the WC.... everyone's a winner.

14. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Not picking on you because many others have espressed the same sentiment, but the emphasized language is what I don't get. What, exactly, would you have Arena do to prepare for a WC without JOB that is not already being done? As you've noted, he's not played many games with the national team in the last few years, so we've been preparing for life without JOB already. What more should we be doing? Is Arena saying that an ideal line-up would include JOB (which almost everyone agrees is true but just disagrees as to its likelihood) somehow hindering our preparation for a WC without JOB? I don't buy that.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I'm not coubnting out o'brien until he has an injury that counts him out...

still, i'd be satisifed with a 20-30 minutes of JOB in june in any match...

if there's more in his body, fine, but I'm NOT expecting any more

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Everybody loves the sound of a train in the distance. Everybody thinks it's true."

17. bridgeviewturd

bridgeviewturd BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 30, 2005
    bridgeview
    On To Soccerwurst 2006!!!

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thought I already took this bet, back when it was merely silly and not here now when it is absurd. Oh well, I'll take it again. A case of real Czech Bud if JOB doesn't start against the Czechs (assuming, of course, you are of legal drinking age and reside in a state where gambling over sports with booze is legal, otherwise, I'll send you one of my Hartman bobbleheads.)

On a side note, I think HDC is where that fancy sports injury outfit that JOB was back rehabbing with is housed. I imagine he's there doing whatever they do to miraculously get him back in time for my bender, uh, I mean bet.

19. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you originally took the bet when you thought it was simply "will JOB make the 23 man roster?". then i explained my terms. you ended up accepting, but i felt i muscled you into it. but if you still are gung ho ... absolutely. i'll bet you anything. Czech Bud?? sounds dandy. :D

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Heck, you seem like a nice guy and I don't want to think I went a bought an ugle green and yellow Den Haag scarf for nothing.

Now I'm driving down to HDC to fix that **&^^&%^'s foot once and for all!

Or I'll just change my screen name in June.

21. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Make sure you take care of the groin and hip while you're there.