Why do KC, Dallas, and Columbus have teams?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Catfish, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I never understood why those cities and shoot what about Colorado?

Are these cities with lots of youth and amateur leagues? Because why Houston doesn't have a team is beyond me. They are the 4th largest city with large Mexican population...and we all know how passionate Mexicans are about there footie.

2. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, these cities all have lots of youth and amateur leagues. Dallas has a large Mexican population, though the Salvadoran population seems to have a larger presence at games. And...Mexicans may be passionate about their futbol, but that doesn't mean that they show up en masse to watch MLS.

See, that was a short answer.

3. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it had to do with where the investers were.

Krafts are in New England, Hunt in Kansas City and he also wanted Columbus, Anshutz is in Denver and he wanted LA.

I don't know who the original guys were behind the others.

4. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Why am I so not surprised that a fahrfan has zero knowledge of the size of urban areas in this country?

How many people live in the City of Chicago?
    When asked "how big is Chicago" is that the
    answer you'd give, or would you not include
    the 84 conjoined suburbs in the entire population?

Houston SMSA: 4MM
    Dallas/FortWorth SMSA: 5.5MM

Latino population by percentage:
    both are between 37-39%.

=bs

5. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    Before MLS even started, they tasked "location candidates" to sell 10,000 pledges for season tickets at $75 per pledge. Columbus is in the league because they actually met the requirement. New Jersey supposedly did also, while nobody else did.

Kansas City - Lamar Hunt. Also, FIFA loved the stadium when USSF took them through the potential venue tour.

Dallas - world cup host, mostly available stadium (Cotton Bowl).

Colorado - MLS wanted it after US vs Scotland drew 35,000 for a friendly. Denver is a very proven sports market for its size.

6. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    The city of Denver's population is about 40% hispanic homie (The Rapids play in Denver, not Vail or Aspen). We also have a ton of kids and soccer moms/dads from the burbs who attend the games. I'm a 28 year old non-hispanic male who lives in the city, so I'm not sure what catagory of Rapidos fan I fit into.....

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks

Paul and Hosscat.

I'm new to MLS so have to do my homework so I can spread the word without sounding like a boob.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    LA is the second largest city with a large Mexican population...and we all know how unpassionate Mexicans are about MLS.

9. Lone Star

Lone Star Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Pizza Hut Park
    I attended all the World Cup '94 matches here in Dallas, and I remember getting a handout one time about pledging money to get a team for MLS. I wasn't in the position to pony up that kind of money at the time, and I even remember Dallas being removed from the list of prospective teams. Color me suprised when the Burn showed up.

According to urban legend, Dallas was allowed in at the last moment when a team in Chicago fell apart. Right?

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only urban legend. That was the story in the Dallas Morning News when the Dallas franchise was announced as one of the first 10 in June 1995.

Basically, MLS couldn't get a stadium deal done at Soldier Field.

11. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    somewhat misguided...

What city has the highest MLS attendance?

but i will grant you that it is quite a tough sell to soccer cognosenti (which Mexicans definitely are) that MLS was a viable option the first 5 years. compared to their domestic league, MLS didn't/doesn't measure up. Central Americans, on the other hand, have weaker leagues, so MLS is a step up.

In due time, true soccer fans are suckers for a good game. There are many Mexican fans of the Galaxy. In time there will be more.

12. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Why attack KC, Columbus and Dallas? The first 2 cities mentioned are probably profitable or at least not losing tons of money. Dallas is close to getting its own stadium which is only costing the HSG a paltry $10 milion. Given these facts, the real question is why is MLS still in NY and DC when we all know these cities have terrible leases and are in no way close to being profitable.

13. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I thought Phil and the Krafts came onboard after MLS was already started? I might be wrong on Phil, but I'm pretty sure about the Krafts...

or I could be wrong on both..hell what do I know...

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As noted above, they told any and all comers that, in order to get a team you had to sell season tickets.

Columbus sold over 10,000.

This is why Houston "doesn't have a team" so it no longer needs to be "beyond you"

For further information, please check out this timely thread by the ever-essential Goodsport; it lists the 42 cities which made the cut and were invited to hold ticket drives. As you will see, Houston had as much opportunity as amyone:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70499

All those "passionate" Mexicans didn't show up at the mindow with ticket deposits. Or maybe nobody locally even bothered to organize a ticket drive. Don't know, and don't care.

Bottom line: if the interest was so huge, they could have gotten a team.