Why didn't the game get switched to ABC?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AngelaMerkin, Jun 26, 2009.

1. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Just wondering? I don't believe ABC has any programming of merit on, and the casual US sports observer always enjoys a championship game. Having it on OTA television would have been a major boon for US soccer as a whole. I secretly think they didn't move it to ABC because they know who we have commentating ;)

But hey, from ESPN2 to ESPN... I'll take it.

edit* sorry, I believe this should have been in USA Men general... unless we are to analyze the breakdown of demographics for ABC viewing...

2. eapleitez

eapleitez Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing. Sunday daytime television programming is usually a wasteland. Makes no sense. Ah well.

3. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess (and having no knowlege of it) is that it is better for us to have the game on ESPN. If they switched it to ABC, the local ABC affiliates could theoretically decline to carry the game and instead run their local programming/infomercials. We've seen it before with big games where the local station decides to run a telethon or just infomercials instead of the game which then causes a big uproar on here. With the game staying on ESPN, everyone will be able to watch it.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Because the ratings would suck worse than whatever ABC or the local affiliates will run instead?

Sure, we'd love the "respect" that that kind of move would make, but there aren't enough of "us" to watch the game to justify such a move.

5. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll be surprised how many people tune in on Sunday. I think we'll see one of the largest viewing audiences in US soccer history.

6. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    glad I saw this, I'm going out of town and won't be back till Sunday night. I had my DVR set to record ESPN2 and would've been pissed if i'd missed it. I wish cox would do a better job of updating programming.

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why on earth would they switch to ABC?

8. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    because it's free and not everyone has cable. I got cable two months ago for the first time in three years. Between food and rent in Manhattan, those luxuries like cable go by the wayside. I still think for the casual sports fan, if you put confederations cup final against Brasil on ABC, they will watch it. The US sports public likes seeing quality games, and this would be one. I understand the apprehension with affiliates, but ABC needs to have the stones to tell their affiliates there will be repercussions if they don't show the game.

Are there even any cable providers that have ESPN but not ESPN2 anymore? I mean, it's really more a symbolic move than anything now that I think of it.

9. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has 96million+ television subscribers across the country (just ever so slightly higher than ESPN2). This works out to be 85% of all television households. The move from ESPN2 to ESPN is completely a symbolic move to show that it is the most important sporting event that they can carry during that time period.

Sure there are 15% of the households that don't have ESPN but I think those 15% would watch the game somehow if they were interested. The ratings for the game of course will not include the many soccer fans who will watch the game at bars and ratings are only done by a small sample in each market.

10. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the network would not make demands toward affiliates due to them not carrying soccer. Even though there are many of us who are passionate about the game, it is still a relatively little viewed sport on television here. I do believe that this game will have much higher ratings and viewership than a normal game due to the importance of it and the day/time it is being shown.

11. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I was about to say, doesn't nearly everyone with a TV in their house have ESPN?

The ratings would be the same either way.

12. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes almost anyone who cares about sports, let alone soccer, HAS to have cable. Are you really going to draw that many non sports fans into watching a soccer game? I wouldn't think so.

As of right now this Confed Cup run is a sports story, not really a general interest story.

13. norfcath57

norfcath57 Member

May 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There may be one other consideration: Since the switch from analog, some tv's, at least here in Philadelphia, were still having problems getting reception. How many I don't know.

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Yeah, and why aren't NBC, CBS, PBS and Food Network simulcasting this final, each with a six-hour pregame as the world's greatest sport deserves? And shouldn't no fewer than four radio stations in each of the top 48 media markets in the country send commentators and reporters to South Africa right now?

Just a bunch of haters in the mainstream media. :mad: :p

15. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a question, does anyone know if there is ANY radio coverage of the USMNT? And would we be about the only country, maybe Canada? that doesn't have radio coverage of its national team?

16. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 90's ABC aired quite a few US matches and MLS matches as well. I grew up in a home without cable and those matches are what turned me onto soccer. I believe there are a few more people like me that could be reached by puting the match on ABC.

17. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Im glad that I just get to watch it. I work at a grocery store and would have had to work from 10:30-6:30, I did what any U.S.A. soccer fan did and went though hell and high water to trade shifts and be able to watch this game. Soccer before work always.

18. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well played my man...I on the other hand will be driving home for my college graduation party.....thank goodness for the iPhone being able to play live tv while im driving ;)

19. Diora Maria

Diora Maria Member

Jul 2, 2002
    The house that Mickey destroyed is broke. So they are dumping all of their non profitable programming. We should count our bessings. A couple of years ago they moved skating to ESPN. It was then picked up by NBC. NBC decided to put everything on Univesal Sports. Univesal Sports is only available to those who live in certian areas and have certian cable providers. Track and Field US championshps are on ESPN. The World Champions I believe are on NBC. The Golden League which was show on ESPN last year will be shown on Univesal Sports. So no sports outside of golf, baseball action sports, race car driving and football on the regular stations. If it is a World Champoionshp it may be show on regular tv .

I think that paid programming should be banned. It is a waste of a good weekend.

20. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think its a good idea, so that local ABCs cant deny the game (remember the world cup complaints?)

Many people dont have cable...but how many people dont have internet access? ESPN360 is pretty popular. And theres always the local bar. I watched Brazil-South Africa at an Applebees.

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i have never watched a game on espn360 and i dont have espn in engish.

i have univision though :cool:

the game should've been on abc but somebody is dumb enough that they didnt realize that many people without cable would watch it.

GO USAAAAA!

22. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ESPN (cable)
    ESPN360 (legal online)
    Univision (free OTA)
    Other internet viewing methods

Theres no household in america that doesnt have access to this game

23. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Honestly, we're reaching the point rapidly where ABC will be putting its highest rated sporting events on ESPN anyway.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought about that and it's not a big deal for me since I can get all our games on TV. I've been in Canada for a few days and spent the rest of my life in the United States, so I have no idea what the buildup would be in England for a World Cup game or a Manchester United-Chelsea Champions League final (I used England as an example, the same could apply to many countries).