Why did you choose soccer over baseball, football, basketball and ice hockey?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by psveindhoven, Feb 17, 2010.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I didn't just read your post, I've read ALL your posts in this forum for quite some time. fingersave might not know the context for my comments to you, but you should.

You're forever downgrading football because some of the players are fat, and forever downgrading baseball because the players aren't as sleek or fast or toned or whatever as soccer players.

My point is that there are many, many different sports out there. And each one of them has different physical requirements.

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    and again we can always go back to the argument of what is a "great" sport and compare them.

one of the reasons that i have been with a yellow card for almost a year is bc i called jim rome a clown, and that is what he is, he has never played sports, the same with cowherd how can they know who is a "superior" athlete and who is not if they never played any type of competitive sports?

i have tried about every sport out there and i have my own experiences.

i was fast and a good shooter in basketball, i could dribble too. i was a very good tennis player, i was really fast in american football. i have also done street hockey, martial arts, wrestling maybe not at a competitive level but i do have my own experiences with all those sports, i tried a little boxing, and i go to the gym a few times per week and train some kick-boxing.

not to mention i have done surfing, skateboarding, wakeboarding, snowboarding, sports where if you are fat would hardly make it.

volleyball is another great sport.

i have done a little baseball and i wouldnt mind trying some rugby or lacrosse.

i enjoy american football, i have said many times.

i grew up on michael jordan and mike tyson, i watch kobe when i get a chance so i dont hate on basketball.

it is what it is. fat people are not great or "superior" athletes, period.

shaq is like beckam, they have to be around better players to win something.

look at yao, he is a freak of nature and yes still too slow to win something.

lebron james, still have to win something.

shaq is prob the most succeful fat guy who has succed in sports where you actually have to run a little bit.

im not going to get into baseball. i know eventually i would enjoy the sport but that does not make it great.

baseball is borring, mlb players are fat and slow. they are not superior athletes in anyway.

i enjoy ping-pong, does that make it a great sport? heck not.

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    how does the word agility applies to shaq?

whats the difference between power and strenght?

haha

all shaq has is fat which is converted into strenght so he can push players around. thats it a fat guy who can succed in an easy sport like bk.

remember i love bk, and enjoy it but i dont think is hard to play it. is very easy to score, is very easy to dribble, is very easy to shoot.

4. John Mercado

John Mercado Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm the only one, or one of few that likes soccer only..cool. I grew up watching: NFL- played in school and can't stand it..sorry. Not enough action, tired of watching fat guys bent over waiting for the snap.

Basketball: If your tall.. your talented. If your really tall, your really talented . If your eight feet tall all you have to have is the ability to jog slowly and hang out near the basket. The hoops were set for six foot white guys many years ago, so no, I'm not impressed when they hang off them after stuffing it. Sure Jordon was, and some are, good athletes but still the for mentioned is true.
    If you have possession you can take out anyone in front of you unless they have been standing without blinking in place for five minutes then after depositing the ball in the hoop they call it a foul and you shoot again. Keep your elbows out when holding the ball and in everyones face; Shots are cheap have little meaning in a game, their team shoots your team shoots, lame!

Baseball: Like chess but for real rich guys. Not bad to watch if you are immortal or your team is winning every game.. then that's cool: 2001 Seattle Mariners- 117 wins, I watched- or the Yank's fans, they have it easy every year. There is a lot of different strategies to keep track of and a lot of statistics if your into that kind of thing the game is fascinating.
    When the pitcher throws to first to keep the runner honest for the third time and then readjusts his ball cap which gives the announcer time to reminisce about the players grandpa who made a play in the summer of 42' .. well that's when I fall off to sleep.

Hockey: don't care for it, but don't know much about it. Hard to relate: can't imagine wearing ice skates- AND beating someone over the head with a stick.

There is a reason soccer is so popular in the world. Try Imagining that American sports were foreign to you, would you really fined that much in them inspirational enough to adopt them? How bout cricket anyone?

5. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the 9 components of athletic fitness according to excercise science. This is not my opinion, this is what I was taught in college. These are commonly held beliefs among trainers and coaches that try to train athletes to maximize each of these according to their sport.

Strength - the extent to which muscles can exert force by contracting against resistance (e.g. holding or restraining an object or person)
    Power - the ability to exert maximum muscular contraction instantly in an explosive burst of movements. The two components of power are strength and speed. (e.g. jumping or a sprint start)
    Agility - the ability to perform a series of explosive power movements in rapid succession in opposing directions (e.g. ZigZag running or cutting movements)
    Balance - the ability to control the body's position, either stationary (e.g. a handstand) or while moving (e.g. a gymnastics stunt)
    Flexibility - the ability to achieve an extended range of motion without being impeded by excess tissue, i.e. fat or muscle (e.g. executing a leg split)
    Local Muscle Endurance - a single muscle's ability to perform sustained work (e.g. rowing or cycling)
    Cardiovascular Endurance - the heart's ability to deliver blood to working muscles and their ability to use it (e.g. running long distances)
    Strength Endurance - a muscle's ability to perform a maximum contraction time after time (e.g. continuous explosive rebounding through an entire basketball game)
    Co-ordination- the ability to integrate the above listed components so that effective movements are achieved.
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/conditon.htm

6. RedWolf

RedWolf New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Arkansas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to disagree on issue of being tall automatically making you better. Hasheem Thabeet is over 7 feet tall and plays for a mediocre team. Meaning he should be a huge star for Memphis, right? According to you, yes. However, not that long ago, he was sent down to the D-League. You'd think being 7 feet tall would allow him to just sit under the basket and swat the ball away all day long. But as it turn out, you still have to have some talent.

In fact, the average height of an NBA player is about 6'7". LeBron James is around 6'8", so it's not like he towers over everybody. Kobe Bryant is 6'6". Chris Paul is 6'0", Steve Nash is 6'1", Ginoblii is 6'6", Vince Carter's 6'6", and so on and so forth.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not realize we were arguing over what is a "great" sport.

For the record, I vastly prefer soccer to any other sport. Not really a baseball fan (mostly because I failed miserably as a Little League player! :(), although I've grown to appreciate it as I've grown older. I've always liked football, and it's the sport I played the most as a kid, but once I discovered soccer at the age of 30 it immediately became my favorite.

8. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The point is basketball depends too much on a single specific physical characteristic = height. Other than that, it's a good sport, but personally I don't see a reason to play and watch it while we got football.

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    and what makes a 6 7" player better than a 7"?

as a full time athlete, a true athlete, someone who knows about sports, who trains soccer 3 times per week and goes to the gym as well.

let me tell you this.

is SPEED. a 7" with speed would be dominant but sorry, they are just too slow to compete vs Kobe, Jordan or Lebron.

when I was in middle school i wasnt the tallest kid on the soccer team, everybody who played bk was taller than me, but they still would get me to play for the bk team.

you know why?

bc i had SPEED, i could anticipate the plays, i would outrun many people. shoot really good, had stamina, could dribble...

yes speed is very important in sports.

mike tyson had a heck of a punch, ali had SPEED.

ask any boxing fan what would be the result of a fight between mike and ali.

my grandpa would tell you. ali would murder mike. mike only needed one power punch to take people out, but how was he going to touch ali? ali was too FAST, ali would play with him, embarras him, dance on him and finish him in the round he wanted to.

now pay attention to those that play sports and stop listening to clowns like jim rome or cowherd, they need ratings, they would say anything to make money, they are broadcasters, they know jacksh.. about sports.

10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    although i was never a great scholar, never the smartest kid out there, dont know much about sciences.

you are saying shaq has great "power" but according to your info, speed is 1 of the parts of "power" so shaq is lacking that ability 50%.

i still dont see how agility applies to shaq.

he lacks most of the other components, or i would say he has it in very small percentages, which are prob the only thing he needs to succed as such an easy sport.

being tall isnt a tallent.

what great talent did shaq develop?

he is not a great shooter, he is not fast, he is not a great dribbler.

all he does is that he stays there, wait for somebody to shoot, and get the ball. he is taller and stronger (fat) than most bk who are in great shape like kobe and lebron.

so the conclusion is. shaq is nowhere being a superior athlete.

he is fat guy who was lucky enought to be born really tall and he got into one of the easiest sports out there.

11. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may have been better for you to stop at that statement and save the debates for the grownups.

You have no idea what you are talking about. For a guy with the size that Shaq has, he has an unusual amount of speed. That's what separates Shaq from the guy who played Chewbacca.

That's because you dont understand agility, dont understand what Shaq does, and dont understand what makes an athlete an athlete.

Sorry, but thats the truth.

If it were such an easy sport, then you would be making the nearly 2 million dollar per year contract that the veterans make in the NBA. It is an extremely difficult sport. But here you sit talking about how much better of an athlete you are than one of the best athletes in one of the most popular sports in the world. Seriously?

Its a gift, not a "tallent".

Goodness, dude. Keep digging your own grave.

Shaq is a highly refined post player with an unusual amount of strength and power. He dribbled well and passed well.

Your conclusion is ignorant. Seriously. You should just sit back, relax, and read other peoples opinions, because yours are so bad that they are annoying.

12. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    they need to invent a sport where if you are born with dark hair you can make 2 million dollars, i would be a superior athlete on that :D

13. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all agree that LeBron James is the greatest athlete alive.

Flame away now.

14. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I would still find them "inspirational" enough to adopt them.

Also, if height automatically made you such a great basketball player, why did George Mursean and Manute Bol do absolutely nothing in the NBA?

15. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    not everybody 7 5" dude out there is a great bk player for the same reason not every 5 7" is a great soccer player like messi.

is matter of getting into the game and practicing hard everyday, some tall people are just lazy to do that, the same with some short people.

fat people are not superior athletes. shaq just happen to be on lucky tall fat dude.

same with baseball, kind of disgusting to see all those fat guys playing the professional game.

i remember talking to a hot girl once, she said "i like athletes, soccer players basketball players, hot football players and hot baseball players."

if you notice she had to say the word "hot" first, and by that she meant she didnt like the fat ones :D

the lazy ones that eat like pigs and dont go running as often.

16. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there we have it from dependable authority "AguiluchoMerengue"...

Basketball players are crap athletes because theyre tall.

Shaq is fat.

AguiluchoMerengue is a better athlete than any player in the NBA because its such an easy sport.

...okay pack up this thread and end it. AguiluchoMerengue has spoken.

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    claims.

1. tall players are slow
    2. shaq is fat
    3. yes bk is an easy sport

whats wrong with those claims?

18. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

why?

19. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. tall players aren't slow. Case in point, LeBron James.
    2. Shaq is bigger than he was as a rookie, but I wouldn't call him fat.
    3. Basketball isn't an easy sport.

20. dachande915

dachande915 New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    HellPaso
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccer choose me :)

1 person likes this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1.

22. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    1. for the sport of soccer yes, crouch isnt the fastest
    2. yes shaq is fat
    3. yes bk is easy, who think bk is hard?

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You are a world class idiot.

24. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I put baseball in a same category as golf.
    They are not easy of course and you can make a lot of money doing it professionally.
    It requires certain skills, and they are athletes in ways. However, golf is some sport that 60 years old competes professionally. I caught Masters while channel flipping and saw the 60 some years old in it.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Who cares?

Besides, there are some amazingly fit 60 year-olds out there. Hell, I golf in a league with an 86 year-old who also runs competitively.