Why can't the Breakers get players like this?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by socfandan, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I seriously suggest you stop insulting people and stick to the discussion at hand.

2. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Maybe Coach Dicicco should consider a 4-3-2-1 system. 4 defenders - 3 tucked-in defensive center-mids that can switch, expand and overlap in a conservative and disciplined manner -2 tucked-in but mobile attacking mids (Lilly and Smith) - 1 forward (Lauren).

Anyway, Smith will have to want to play as/from the second line of attack; the three center mids as the third line of attack from the midfield, one of them as the ANCHORING mid (while on attack) and the other two as the unfolding "interior wingers", with the ourtside defenders making runs as "outside wingers" for early or deep crosses.

I'm entitled to my dreams, isn't it!

3. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Who, where, when and how? :eek:

4. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Opinion #4: Unfortunately, the US game continues to shape players into a mentality of "what do you want me to do coach?" or "tell me what to do coach" or "that's not my position coach" or else they do not play... to which the right answer is "I want you to THINK in a PROACTIVE, ANTICIPATORY mode... and PLAY, PLAY, PLAY". This problem seems to be in action within the Breakers.

There is little that a coach can do against this when his/her true answer is "I just want you to play the game... play with your teammates, read the game, read it, read it, read it and then function, function, function accordingly."

Unless you want automatons and non-thinking athletes who constantly want to be told what to do or what not to do, individually and colelctively, in the pitch... as long as they win in the scoreboard... and even though the game, the league, the fans, and US Soccer looses out.

Got to work.. bye!;)[/QUOTE]

Now don't try to shed the responsibilities of a coach like TD onto the shoulders of the players. If TD is such a useless creature, why is he getting such a large retainer? We can from now on, according to this post, eliminate all the coaches and let the players find their own way to succeed. What a stupid suggestion!

5. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers

6. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't give two shits if you insult every player and every coach in WPS. But I suggest you lay off other posters:

8. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Bonnie Lass means "Nice Girl" isn't it? I wish you would honor the nickname you chose.

Bonnie, it is funny that you react so virulently to a comment that reads "reading your answer no surprise here".. an assertive comment yet not insulting, not offensive and not vulgar to call it an insult (?????)... yet you do not react to previous and current demeaning, offensive and vulgar words and sentences in other posts... yours included!!

So, you censor knowledgeable opinions and critiques labeling them "insulting"???? So, you only accept opinions that agree with yours or your friends'? You are personalizing... anyone has the right to express a critique... at least here in the US Bonnie. My critiques are not vulgar nor offensive nor insulting. Can't say the same about yours or your friends'

Why should I lay off other posts... Boss? Because I disagree with the vicious and uninformed non-sense desire to get a real coach, a very good coach fired? Sorry, no can do. I have not been neither offensive, nor vulgar, nor insulting. Just knowledgeable and direct. Yours is NOT a valid suggestion. :D

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You can talk in circles all you want, but I've stated my case.

10. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    So have I my dear Foe, so have I. :)

In circles? ?????

11. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ANyway.... Amy is assisting as well as scoring.... something she did not do last year... Look at sky blue the first half of last season, such disarray....seeing the same in Boston, minus the coaching change.

He may be trying to correct the ship, but unless the players buy into it.....

12. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    agree with you,...the stuff that is said on the posts by others with cussing, tghe wy they put down the players, etc etc.. about the coaches and teams, they never get reprimanded and you jsut stated an opinion on how you felt about needed a new coach...wow..this happened to me last year...stated an opinion... i see posts from everyone on all teams threads even though that may not be their team. of well...just like eveything else its politics and who you know...

13. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Okay. Classroom time.

SOCcer or Football AsSOCciation from its origins and from its inception as an organized sport differientated from its twin sibling (Rugby) has been a PLAYERS' GAME... and certainly more so than any other sport.... and there is a lot of history and understanding of the human condition that goes into this (not for this post). Its history shows that until the beginnings of contemporry soccer (sometime after the late 60's), coaches or managers were for the most part accessories, consultants or some sort of supportive staff to the players. It was the team Captain and the most influential persoanlities inthe team who dictated style, strategy, personnel, formation, line-ups and etc. The coach just made sure to support the players' game plan.

The absence of quality, creative individualities and true leadership in Europe's game marked the advent of the Coach and his involvement as we see it now... tactics, strategies and athleticim compensated for the former--thus making players, teams and the game more coach-dependent as players are now.

Coach Dicicco is a rarity in the world in that he remains true to the essence of the game and true to the respect for players... that this is a players' game that has to be put in the players' hands... that's the mark of a true, REAL footbal soccer coach.... even when, and if, players resist it due to their fear of freedom or to their need to be coach-dependant.

So, coach Dicicco should be praised for and supported in this endeavor, instead of being virulently attacked and referred to with such dehumanizing phrases that immediately invalidate your arguments..:mad:

14. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am reading ths correctly, TD is great coach because he does nothing, or at least interferes less than his contemporaries?

This presents an interesting argument that I would have ponder somewhat longer to make a final judgement on, but does he not select those very players both for his roster and for the pitch match after match that are currently underperforming? Perhaps this group needs somewhat more direction and understanding of their roles than what he as coach is providing if in fact they can not figure it out themselves?

If your comments about virulent attacks are directed at me, I must object. I believe that my points regarding his responsibility for, and contribution to, the past and current squads' failures have been fact based and far from personal.

I believe, as a shallow and ignorant American, that in professional sports, you are what your record is. A coach is responsible for selecting the line-up and putting those players in a position to succeed. This is a very strong squad on paper, as it was last year. Despite numerous roster changes, the results remain the same, in fact, I believe have consistently been poorer as time goes on, whether you assess pure W-L-T statistics or even make inherently subjective assessments of the quality of play on the field. If this is not the fault of the coach per se, then it is the fault of players who are underperforming. It is the coach's responsibility to define their roles, correct their inadequacies, or replace them. If Kelly Smith is the issue, play her in a position better suited to her strengths or sit her down. Same with Lilly or anyone else on the squad.

The day of players self-managing outside of pick-up games or over-30 games is long past. Perhaps a memory to long for, but not a realistic expectation of today's athlete especially at the professional level.

Maybe I don't need to ponder this any further :rolleyes:

15. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    No my dear, you are not reading this correctly and I don't think it is a matter of wearing prescription glasses. I was referring to the posts quoted in my post... and to whomever feels alluded to... and it seems that you do!

I feel tempted to reply sharing my knowledge with you but there is too much blinding hatred in your post, self- and otherwise... I don't think that a constructive mutual dialogue is what you have in mind... how can you claim to have the ability to judge the work of a professional, of your liking or not, under such state of mind?

By the way, I am still being asked to produce a picture I.D. at sports bars.. where attendees invited me to after lectures and clinics :cool:

16. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Thank you for the football (I still don't understand why a game here played with hands most of the time is called football and that played using the foot has to be called soccer) 'lesson'. I have been interested in football/soccer for more than 60 years and have played on the field when I was younger. I am not therefore easily fooled and intiminadated when it comes to things about football/soccer.

I see that the comment is directed at me but I do appreciate the knowledgeable response from Socfandan which I fully agree.

I just can't keep my cool after reading such queer remarks from this poster.

Like his post above, what an attempt to hide the failure of a coach by telling us his role is actually a caretaker, not much more than 'accessories,.... some sort of a supportive staff to the players.' Then why should we pay the coach the salary he demands? If the captain of the players/team is that much more important to the success of the team, she should be paid much more than the coach who is just a caretaker.

All ball games are played by players and therefore can be called a players game. But what has that to do with the role of a coach? When these games were played by amateurs years ago, certainly there were no coaches. If coaches are not required, why do all the professional teams have coaches and incompetent coaches are replaced without hesitation, well may be except a few.

I don't think TD is such a rarity in the world. We in Boston used to have another one, also from the WNT who ,when asked how his team should improve in the second half, answered 'play soccer.'

Well, you can praise whoever you want. But that only shows your knowledge of the game.

17. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    When somebody, without being challenged, tries to convey the impression that he is not old enough to be DiCicco, it makes you suspicious that he is indeed the man himself.

18. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ARod scores her 7th of the year in the 17th minute vs Boston after being denied on two earlier chances.

No comment, just fact.

19. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    this is awsome!!!

20. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Yeah, Arod appears ready to stage the fireworks show all by herself. I can't make sense of the lineup. Is Tarpley playing defense?

21. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read the commentary part on starting line ups, don't go by the names associated with the little blue dots.

I think we are looking at:

----------Naeher-------------
    Scott------Lepeilbet-Cox-----Fabiana
    Osborne----Smith---------Lilly
    Tarply-------Cheney-------DelRio

I think.

22. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    BREAKERS WIN, 2-1. Huge road victory for the Breakers in Philly! Heart, passion and spirit? Apparently they brought it all to the field today. Congrats Breakers!!!! :)

23. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BREAKERS WIN 2-1

No Comment, Just Fact

24. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the idea it was a 3-5-2. Whatever it was, it worked. We won 2-1 on goals from Cheney and Lilly.

25. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy Breakers Day!

Lilly's not ready to go into coaching just yet.