Why can't the Abc Announcer say 'Forlán'?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by AASoccer, Jul 12, 2010.

1. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Actually, I think the most common Spanish pronunciation of José is closer to "Ho-say" than "Ho-seh." For example:

http://www.forvo.com/word/san_josé#es

Forvo.com is a pretty cool website.

2. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Those 3 people pronounced it Ho-se. Maybe you should rehear it.

If Jose was meant to be pronounced "ho-say", it would be spelled Josey.

For example, guey is pronounced "way". But que is pronounced "ke". Got it?

3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that's the point, the vocal sound doesn't exist in English so Hullit is the closest thing we have.

4. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I disagree with this, I think you should try to get as close as you can to the correct pronunciation as your native language allows. In this case Dah-VEED VEE-ya is much, much closer than DAY-vid VI-la. Just because his name is spelled like 'David' does not mean it's pronounced that way.

5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, it doesn't bother me, but the inconsistency is funny. For example, David Ortiz is Hispanic, yet they always pronounce "David" the normal way for him. Then, all of a sudden, the media decides to pronounce David Villa's name in Spanish. Why the change? Why isn't it Aston Vee-ya then? Ya know? Weirdos.

And how 'bout John Harkes. "PAH-da-why" Haha. He tried hard, but he got the accent on the wrong syllable. Hahaha!!!

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Pronunciation is arbitrary and regional. An English word can be pronounced differently in different parts of England. In most of this thread you're complaining about the length of a vowel, which is pettiest of all.

At any rate, david viya sounds incredibly awkward, especially when in the middle of a sentence by someone with a thick regional accent.

7. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe they can't pronounce the name correctly.