Why can't American basketball fans be like these fans?

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by YankBastard, Aug 16, 2006.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or understand that the average NBA fan spends a ton of money for tickets and expects to be entertained and not provide their own entertainment. But yeah, this happens at the vast majority of college games.

4. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No college basketball is the only basketball games I watch, it's the only thing that's close to international basketball. My bad, I mean't professional basketball.

5. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly the type of lazy-ass American mentality that I'm talking about.

6. Nyghtewynd

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either that or it's civilized. One of the two.

Look, I'm no NBA apologist. I can't stand the stuff. I've been to exactly one game, and the music during play about drove me out of my gourd. But I understand it. If I'm spending $100 at a restaurant, it's not going to be a buffet. I want good service, and I don't want to do a thing. That's what I'm paying for (in part). That bleeds over to sports, also. NBA tickets are REALLY expensive, and exclusive. Those people who sit next to the court spend hundreds of dollars per seat, and a lot of them are there to be seen and not to actually watch the game. They are NEVER going to act like that. They're paying for a service, and they want what they pay for.

7. argaen

argaen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Tucson, Arizona
    Watch more college basketball. There are even funny chants, aimed at breaking a players spirit, that you won't hear at any other venue in america.

I have to agree with Nyghtewynd. The more expensive the games are, the less passionate the fans become (in america). This can be seen by watching any University of Arizona basketball game. Since the rise in prestige of the basketball team the ticket prices have gone really high and consequently the only people who are getting season tickets are the old and wealthy..who in turn are an extremely quiet, non-vocal crowd. They will even complain when you stand up during games. Other colleges that have huge student sections will generally have more rowdy fans that creates an amazing atmosphere.

8. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    Didn't see anything special. The camera was filming the top of the arena most of the time so I don't know what you saw that pumped you up.

9. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NCAA Basketball. Like I said, you obviously haven't been to one either... no? :rolleyes:

10. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well said

11. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    How random was that re-done rebel battle flag?!

12. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many clubs all over Europe use "re-done" rebel battle flags.

13. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa
    college basketball is fun but the level of play is nowhere near the level of the nba.

14. Nyghtewynd

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. You aren't allowed to travel and you have to use your teammates in college. It's a lot different.

15. patrickm

patrickm New Member

May 3, 2003
    usa

how much do you actually know about basketball? name me the nba champion over the past 40 years who did not play good team basketball. please, i'm anxiously awaiting your great insight into this. division 1 college basketball is a fraud. amateur for the "student athletes" and totally profe$$ional for the coaches and the schools.

16. MerikanMaster87

MerikanMaster87 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Boston
    maybe thats the actual reason our country is fatter?
    less jumping around at stadiums

17. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed at live events that us Americans watch a live performance like a sports event the same way they watch TV.

18. MerikanMaster87

Jan 5, 2006
    Boston
    its part of the lifestyle over here man.
    I see youre thinkin alot about this....so let me help you out.

first off. we dont need coordinated chants.
    second off. why sing your vocal chords out when the game just started? and when your team is sucking?

third off. Theres plenty of countries where the atmosphere is not 'rowdy, coordinated and ecstatic' at every single game. however you think America is the only country like this? It sure seems like it.

19. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not really about helping your team out that much. It's more about having fun than anything. The difference between them and us is they find it fun to do that and we find it fun to do....nothing.

20. MerikanMaster87

Jan 5, 2006
    Boston
    nothing? I beg to differ.
    its all relative, you know? compared to greek b-ball fans, we get smoked in
    crowd atmosphere.
    but you know what, Im comfortable with the reality that a USC-Texas title game, or super bowl are pretty frickin nice venues to be at, and the atmosphere is killer.

21. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same thing is happening in some of the big soccer clubs in Europe. The ticket prices get pushed up, and the crowd gets much calmer. You notice it the most at places like ManU, Chelsea, and maybe Juve. Watch a match like ManU - Aston Villa fifteen years ago and compare it to a similar non-derby fixture today. The crowd is much less intense.

I went to a Washington Wizards game a few years ago to see Jordan play. It was like being in the middle of a reception or something. So boring.

22. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I've never really thought the super bowl had a great atmosphere. Probably because suits get so many tickets. The confrence title games have much better atmospheres.

23. Ao Kuang

Ao Kuang New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Apeldoorn

We've got some nice things ourselves:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z1VDXHqPA4

24. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
  25. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    Are you serious? I always figured teams like quinnipac and davidson could easly take on the spurs or the heat.

As far as passion its obvious college is the way to go. People who go to NBA games reguarly are upper middle class suburbanites which i always found odd since many NBA players are from an urban working class or lower class black neighborhoods and now theyre playing in front of a bunch of which surban quite suburban families in collared shirts and slack relaxing in the recliners NBA stadiums provide. Every now and then i get suckered into going to a pacers game and it really is a borefest especially when you consider IU's right down the road