Why Bush won? Fantastic analysis from Salon

Discussion in 'Elections' started by MikeLastort2, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    No, you just insinuated I was "ignorant" or "gullible".

I extracted "stupid" from your condescending attitude about why people voted for Bush.

That, in a nutshell, proves why some Dems don't "get it". To you, any vote for Bush was an obvious vote for "ignorance" and "gullibility", that somehow all Bush supporters can be painted with a wide brush.

Maybe I get off on tax cuts? Perhaps I like going to war? Hell, I do own quite a few WWII movies. Maybe spilled blood on foreign soil gets me oh-so-excited? Why don't you add, to "ignorant" and "gullible", "blood lusting"?

It's sort of like me coming to the conclusion that all Dems are self-absorbed elitists who don't understand the common man based entirely on reading the pablum you spread around the boards. I know that's not true, but based on my limited knowledge of you and your ideals I could easily come to that conclusion and then voice it over and over as "fact".

2. marylandred

marylandred New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    No, the Union did. The North. AKA not you. Us. The blue states. Not red.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I was listening to Ed Schultz on Air America on Wednesday, and he was saying that the Democrats just don't get a lot of things. One example that he gave was the idea the Dems had that Kerry would win because there were blogs and internet sites touting how good he was, or something like that.

He mentioned that the Internet sites were good, but the one thing we're lacking is a basic media infrastructure like the Reeps have. They have Limbaugh. Who do we have? Uhhh, pretty much no one. They have Hannity and we have, uhhh, not Colmes. They have Bill O'Reilly and we got bumkis.

Botttom line is that the Reeps repeated their messages, true or false, over and over and over again, and after a while they became true, regardless of whether or not they were, to the people who listened to them

Until the Democratic party can build up an effective mass media propaganda machine getting out to the masses on a regular, repetitive basis, Democratic candidates are going to have a tough time winning anything.

4. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you read too much into everything. I don't associate "ignorant" and "uneducated" with intelligence. I know plenty of intelligent, yet ignorant, people. and vice versa. All I stated was that reps, in general, were ignorant of Kerry's policies. And, no, i don't think i said that "a vote for bush is a vote for ignorance".
    And if you read ALL of my "pablum", you'd know that i'm a white, middle class, tolerant, christian female.

You've really got this agressive ax to grind, don't you? It just makes me wonder why you're sooo defensive. Fear? :confused:

5. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right Mikey! You and me gotta start a tv show!!! :D

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Just an FYI - if not for the declaration of martial law in Baltimore and the incarceration of its entire state legislature, Maryland would've seceeded.

Also, the Empancipation Proclamation freed slaves in states that had seceeded and which were still at war with the Union. It did not free slaves in Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri, West Virginia, and Washington, DC. They remained slave states until after the Civil War was over, when they were freed by the 13th Amendment.

"We show our sympathy with slavery by emancipating slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free." - William Seward

7. marylandred

marylandred New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Just so we're clear: I'm not from Maryland, but New York. I see confederate flags all over here (MD, where I live now), much to my chagrin.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Having particular beliefs does not reflect ignorance or lack of intelligence or inmorality. For example, somebody who believes life begins at conception is not ignorant or stupid for wanting laws to protect such life. Somebody who believes life doesn't begin until birth is not ignorant or inmoral for for believing that laws protecting the rights of women are more important. Both are intelligent and logical conclusions based on their particular premises.

There are extremes, of course. Here is an example: I think most Americans believe in the separation of church and state, in the sense that Government shouldn't tell them how or whether to worship. But for judges to tear down a work of art from a courtroom because it depicts the 10 commandments smacks of liberal zealotry. To believe that such statues are a threat trully is ignorance. Regular people are too intelligent to accept such crap, and they don't want the country to keep moving in that direction.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liar.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're referencing the Alabama case, that wasn't a "work of art" it was a piece of political propaganda that came into the building under cover of darkness.

11. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ten Commandments are a piece of political propaganda? Hmmm. Okay, the left just discovered religious voters a couple days ago, but this can't be considered a good start...

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Hell, no. It's because I was raised in the South where women don't run their damn mouth all the time... :D

(All members of NOW please note the "smiley" indicating a joke prior to asking for the death penalty. Than you)

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Check your history books. Lincoln was a Republican. Sure, geographically it was the North, but politically it was the Republicans.

Who says we aren't progressive on civil rights? ;)

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That is absolutely 100% untrue.

15. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    But can anything truly be said to be 100% untrue???

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I would agree with that if the 10 commandments are something that we've had in government offices since time immemorial. We haven't. This was a recent act. It was a clear attempt to provoke those who believe in the separation of church and state. According to our laws, it is illegal.
    Had this thing been sitting there for years, I'd agree - its part of the heritage/culture/society, let it go. But it wasn't. What gives the Judge the right to put his version of the ten commandments there?

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes.

The biggest lie of this campaign was Bush's statement in the third (I believe) debate that "most of the tax cuts went to the middle and lower class". That is an absolute falshood that trumps everything Kerry has said. Especially since Kerry never said "Bush will have a draft."

18. marylandred

marylandred New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    He's one guy, he didn't start the abolishionist movement. He did the right thing when it was demanded. The movement was cultivated by Northern moralists who knew the difference between right and wrong, and were much more open-minded. Unlike their Southern counterparts.

Today, colors differentiate these states. Can you guess which color relates to which group?

19. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Easy now. It was a joke. I am well versed enough in history (especially that of the South and the CSA) to know what I said is actually ironic. The party in power that freed the slaves is now the dominant party in the part of the coutry that held on to slavery the longest.

Besides, you know I divested all my shares of "Enslaved Cotton Pickers, Inc" years ago....

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even if we were to allow the dubious premise that a sculpture depicting the ten commandments does in fact represent political propaganda, are you arguing that a creation (such as a sculpture) which is opinionated and reflects its creator's point of view cannot be considered a work of art? Because your definition would eliminate a lot of great art from being considered art.

I am not saying that this particular slab of granite was turned into great art, or that it was particularly inspiring, but I don't think the zealots removed it because it was bad art. They removed it because they are extremists who are offended by anything that may have any religious implications at all. I think that if we had Michelangelo's statue of Moses in the Alabama courtroom, the extremists would want to remove it as well.

21. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The worst thing the Democratic Party could do is pander to fundamentalists who hate them. Anyone voting on "moral values" in a time of war is not a reachable vote.

The slogan for the Democrats in 2008 will be very simple. "Had Enough?" If the Republicans can recover from 1964, if the Democrats can recover from 1972 and 1984, and if the Republicans during the 1990's failed to say "We need to be more secular and rational," then there certainly isn't any reason for the Democrats to panic.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'm originally from Pennsylvania. Even though it was a "blue state" and a Union state during the Civil War, there are parts of my home state (essentially just about anything but suburban Philly, Pittsburgh, and some areas near Harrisburg) that would make the deepest backwater hellhole in Jesusland seem progressive in comparison. :D

23. marylandred

marylandred New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Sorry about that; there are multitudes of Republicans who would argue that to the death, knowing they don't have a leg to stand on.

The more I think about this stuff the more I want to move to Canada.

24. marylandred

marylandred New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    Yeah, I know. I lived there awhile, too. Kind of moved down one state at a time. Maybe if enough of us move down to red states, the good guys can win an election.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Alabama case, OF COURSE!!