Why are there so many indoor leagues?

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by WiscFan, Oct 17, 2009.

1. socrfan1

socrfan1 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    It all boils down to the fact that indoor soccer is kicking a dead horse, over and over. I was a big fan years ago but I finally realised that it just isn't going to work. Leagues and teams constantly on the verge of going bankrupt, piss poor attendance and how many teams/leagues have thrown in the towel over the years? There have been at least 11 leagues and, I lost count, probably well over 60 teams. How many failed attempts is it going to take? Outdoor, which is way more popular here in the States than indoor has a way to go so what does that tell you? Everytime a team goes under, eveytime a new league gets started to take the place of the last failed attempt, it just makes the sport look even worse. I love indoor but it is just not going to work.

2. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    well - for this year I have USL games to go to and a few NISL games
    I will take what I can get
    I have become a fan of this sport and will go watch what I can

3. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    More exciting, yes, but the high scoring is artificial. Take away the multi-point scoring and the garage door-sized goals (i.e., go back to the original MISL goals), and the two would be more equal (still, probably more goals in American indoor, though, and still more exciting). Of course, like I said, the bigger court has slowed futsal down a lot (a five a side court/pitch/whatever shouldn't be any bigger than about 110'x60' in my opinion, more like 100'x60'). I watched part of the Pyramid Tournament (futsal) a few years ago, and even I got bored after a while. I alway enjoyed going to the Atlanta Attack games when they were here.

4. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    In my opinion, the downward spiral started when the AISA/NPSL/MISL2 a) started screwing with the rules, and b) started trying to compete with the MISL. MISL soccer was just enough like "real" soccer to keep soccer fans interested, and different enough to attract new blood. It was fast, high scoring (6-5 as opposed to 1-0), and exciting. When the AISA (still a minor league at the time) introduced multi-point scoring and bigger goals, the ultimate result was not just higher scoring, but also a dilution in the quality of play. They finally won the battle with the MISL, and with the CISL/PSA/WISL as well, but again, ultimately, they lost the war, because indoor has become a joke. Give people a top-notch product, and they'll watch it.

If a group were to start a league (or even if the NISL did it) , based on the original rules, or something similar (FA small-sided rules adapted to hockey rinks, for example), and have good quality players, along with ownership who had a clue, indoor could begin to make a comeback, filling the smaller arenas first (like UIC), and then eventually, possibly draw 10-12,000 again. Not saying that it would happen, but it might be possible. People said the same thing about outdoor soccer in the US after the NASL went under, and look at what has happened.

5. Swampgas United

Dec 24, 1999
    Boros

Just a point on your history of the AISA. The multi-point system was started in 1988 for the 88-89 season. The goals stayed the same size. Before the 1990-91 season the AISA turned in to the NPSL and enlarged the goal size. The same year the MISL turned in to the MSL and guess what, enlarged the goals as well.

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Yes, that's correct. I didn't remember the goals getting bigger while the Attack were in town, but I do remember the two-point goals, and I remember the MISL/MSL enlarging their goals as well. I don't remember any increase in scoring, however.

7. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    There was a big increase in scoring: 3-4 goals per game. One of the Blast's first games with the larger goals they rallied from a 7-2 halftime deficit to beat St. Louis 13-9.

Scoring went from about 8 goals a game to around 12. The last year with the smaller goals there were goalkeepers with sub 3.00 GAA.

8. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Oh well. That could have happened without MPS. I was happy with it the way it was (smaller goals, single-point scoring), and from the looks of things, so was most everybody else.

9. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    It did happen without MPS. I'm talking about the MISL/MSL.

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Gotcha. :)

I still liked the smaller goals.

11. Soccer-Man

Soccer-Man New Member

Nov 12, 2005

Let not your heart be troubled my friend. There really is just one MAJOR indoor soccer league; and it's called thee MAJOR INDOOR SOCCER LEAGUE.

If watching the greatest collection of talent that has ever been assembled in the history of indoor soccer is your goal, than the MISL is your league.

There really is just one.

GLORIOUS

12. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Boobtastic. I thought the NISL was the future? I'm confused.

13. GoStorm

GoStorm Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Ah you mean the glorious non-replaceable NISL
    oh ya now it is the great MISL
    Jeez - jump the fence a few more times

14. urse10

urse10 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    i am an england futsal international. i would like to join an indoor pro team in the US. does anyone know how i can do this. I have dvds and you can see me on youtube by searching for robert ursell

15. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert - saw your profile and did a little digging on you. Looks like you're ligit. I have to be honest, you're about two weeks behind right now. Teams have pretty much wrapped up their open camps and are just about done signing players. Most teams are looking at their 18-20 players and are working on their preseasons, since the season opens in about a week. My suggestion (as mentioned by Skipper) is to contact the head coaches via their team websites and send your player videos and as much bio on your background as possible. Since you are a futsal player, some coaches in the league may have more interest, as a lot of futsal players already have useful tactics that transfer well to the indoor game. The only other issue I see is that you most likely need a player visa. Player visas are limited for each team, so that could make it a little more difficult. I suggest that you be as proactive as possible. Market yourself (as you are doing here). Coaches are always looking for that diamond in the ruff. Milwaukee picked up a keeper from Holland a few seasons ago through an open camp he attended. Another futsal player that came in and made a great impression. So much so he got a contract out of it. So hang in there and make your connections. If you have any other questions, send me a private message on this website. Good luck!

16. urse10

urse10 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks for the response headhunter.

I havebeen trying on and off for a year to contact these clubs. I only ever got a reply once from orlando telling me to get back to them in a few months.

I am currently on trial in singapores S league but would rather play small sided than 11 a side.

A few of my friends and some fellow players advised me that indoorsoccer in the states would be the perfect game for me.

I can assure you I am legit and Am widely thought of as the best futsal and 5 a side player in England. This is not me being big headed it's what many people say.

Problem is I have no contacts in the US and have found it difficult to make any.

If anyone can put me in touch with anyone it would be much appreciated.

Like I say you can watch me by searching Robert ursell on YouTube and I have DVDs of my England futsal matches

17. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert - send me your email address. I have connections...

18. urse10

urse10 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
  19. Headhunter21

Headhunter21 Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, got your message. will be in touch this weekend.

20. footballscoutau

footballscoutau New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Cant guarantee I am recommending the right videos but Robert Ursell is defintely on the pitch

Football Trials Australian V European Team Goal Chance 1st Game Unedited
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9Nha-6TgE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9Nha-6TgE[/ame]

Victoria V Balestier 1st Half Highlights
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUj-oXL_Fvg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUj-oXL_Fvg[/ame]