Why are coaches not nationals as well?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by canis, Jun 22, 2014.

1. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have always wondered this.
    If you believe a coach can influence a team via motivation, tactics, or whatever ( I know a few people who actually doubt this, and see NT´s coaches as mere press agents :whistling: who put together rosters and not much more), and is part of the team, wouldn´t it be fairer to only allow native born coaches for each team in the world cup? Is there an obvious reason I´m missing (wouldn´t be the first time)?

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  2. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes.

And that way Argentina would stop importing coaches to all other teams in the world.

unclesox repped this.
  3. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    That's just stupid

4. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Would you care to elaborate?

5. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Coaches don't play the game, they put together the tactics of the game.
    The World Cup is about who's the better team, it would be a shame for a great group of players to not be able to perform to their full potential for the coach's lack of tactical knowledge.
    Once again, the cup is about the team (players)

6. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So you mean the coach is not part of the team. I disagree, the coach is a big part of it.
    The world cup is about nationalities, not just about teams (there`s a reason why traditional countries would never hire a foreign coach, with a few exceptions). So having the players potential boosted by a foreign coach doesn`t seem right.
    Im playing devils advocate here. Not sure either option is right, just can´t find a good reason not to regulate coaches as well, as they contribute to the matches alongside the players.

7. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    I respect your opinion, but still think a great group of players to be voided from the knockout stage or any further due to a particular coach's lack of tactical knowledge. That's all.

canis repped this.
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I would strongly favor counting the entire coaching staff as part of the team and applying the same nationality standards that are applied to players. Basically, you can coach a national team if you haven't coached another national team in an official match and if you are a citizen of the country you are coaching. That would be excellent for the development of the game in many countries, including mine. Foreign coaches have an important place in the development of football in various countries, but that place is best left at the club level. A foreign coach who does very well in a country's league at the club level, who hasn't coached another national team, may become a citizen and be recruited for that national team. But I don't see much gained in the long run by having mercenaries coming and going with various national teams, except stunting the development of domestic coaches and their ability to get the requisite exposure and experience at higher levels in football.

Let me be quick, incidentally, to mention that many Iranian fans vehemently disagree with me. But that is my strongly felt view on the subject and find what is suggested by this thread simply fascinating.

Robby_RE repped this.
  9. Robby_RE

Robby_RE New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I agree strongly with you because i think that the World Cup Tournament is the only one left in which we can see true Football ..thanks to the supporter's passion, the spectacle of whole nations who rejoice and the incredible atmosphere created..
    And for this reason i believe that in this competition must prevails love for your country that only belonging to a country could give you! So i think that coaches are certainly a part of team and a part of the country who is playing the World Cup!

If not, it all comes down to interests that are beyond the passion and love for knitting!

Examples: Capello with Russia..or other many

10. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Even if theres a law that only national coaches are allowed then the NTs could easily use a foreign coach for the training and tactics before the games and have national coach just for changes in the game.So whats the point then? :)

11. Robby_RE

Robby_RE New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    when we do these kind of reasoning we, i think, assume loyalty and respect for the rules...
    Without these values then everything is possible...and would be a no sense give rules.

Example: an italian player could play with Spain falsifying his documents related at the country where he was born but we can't assume this

12. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So only a native Ni-Vanuatu can coach Vanuatu at international level?

13. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess he couldn´t be much worse than his players...

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which is why a foreign coach should be brought in, to help improve their performances and status.

15. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    the thing is, why would you allow that if the coach and staff are to be considered part of the team.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Because I'd like to see 'minnow' nations have the best opportunities to improve.

17. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Doesn't make it fairer though.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Life isn't fair.

19. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol. And there isn't much you can do about it. But you could certainly do about this.

20. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If you limit it to only certain countries being able to bring in a foreign coach while others cannot, then I agree, it isn't fair.
    But since every country has the opportunity to bring in a foreign coach, why isn't that fair? The playing field is level for all, correct?

21. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Because richer associations are able to hire better coachs. I don' t see Haiti paying 8M to capello as russia does. And besides, nationalities play a major role in wc.

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, as a Spain fan I certainly wish Diego Costa hadn't been available. :D
    Would you feel better if coaches, like players, have to be in a country for five years (or whatever the number is) and gain citizenship before they can coach said national team?

23. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hehe, I can emphatize with you on Costa. He was such a dissapointment. I think that rule could be good enough. No matter the amount of years. Maybe just citizenship would be enough. Dunno, i just created this thread to listen to opinions so I appreciate yours [emoji106]

unclesox repped this.
  24. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Or why should that group of players be voided because their GK sucks. They should be able to take a foreign GK no?

OP I do agree with you. The national team should be the national team. Foreign managers get a medal too

25. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    And how do you prevent a NT from hiring Capello or v.Gaal as "3rd assistant medic" sitting besides the "trainer" on the bench? Or train with the team before the games?
    If you can't enforce a law, ...