Why all the VARguing? [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by zaqualung, Nov 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Which I very obviously note in my comment.

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    (well, there is "clear and obvious evidence of something being missed " - that being that the particular aspect of the play was over, finished, or as dead as Monty Python's parrot, in terms of next scoring a goal. It's a dead parrot, obviously.)

Now, where the play could continue is that Mitrovic could have continued to harass Trent into possible trouble. In which case, such incidents should be downgraded to an indirect, in-box, free-kick. As in, it's a foul, but its occurrence isn't impeding any possible direct goal. Apart from being overall fairer, it would add to the fun.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Penalties aren't about whether or not a player can score a goal.

Penalties have nothing to do with "impeding any possible direct goal"... closest to that in the rules is DOGSO, which would give a red not just a pen. And now we're just talking about how you want the rules changed, which still has nothing to do with how VAR will operate during this current season with the rules as they currently exist.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa - Everton.

Gordon scores after a corner is headed down to him, but the VAR check shows that he was just offside. Think the linesperson had it anyways... wouldn't have counted without VAR. Still 0-0.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramsdale comes out to the corner of the box against Vardy, there is a light clip after Vardy gets to the ball first... ref gave pen but it was suggested he take a look via the review booth. He does and rescinds the pen.

Vardy hung out his arm to draw contact, Ramsdale was making the effort to avoid contact which was fairly slight. I think it's a good call.

6. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NF - WHU:

West Ham goal taken away by VAR due to a foul which cleared the passer to make the assist -- Antonio ran in and completely took out a defender coming to cut passing lanes in front of the passer.

Obvious call, good catch by VAR -- they recommended the review and the ref took it away.

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forest goal taken away by VAR offside. Good call, he was off by a foot or so. Close, but off.

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR recommends a review of a handball in Forest box by McKenna -- he gives the pen and a yellow card. Honestly think there's an argument that was a red, clear extends arm to prevent goal from happening.

Henderson saves the pen! He's had a great match.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    are you on some kind of "VAR's Greatest Hits" tour, hobo?

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mentioning reviews/decisions as they happen as I watch this match. That's it. Been doing it for a while, on and off.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you're a dedicated guy, that's for sure. :)

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't even know where to strart about the West Ham v Forest disallowed goal because Antonio and his opponent bounced off each other with nothing to do with the play... and no actual foul..... ridiculous.... utterly ...

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason they scored is because the defense had to adjust to one of their players getting run over. Pretty basic call there.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Zak - you are as wrong as it gets. It was the same as an illegal pick in basketball.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if you watch that carefully, it's pretty clear that Antonio made a last-second adjustment to the direction of his run in order to slam into the defender and clear a path for his teammate. I guess he got confused and suddenly thought he was in the NFL.

as one of the cmms said, that would have been called a foul in a rugby match never mind football.

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Is pulling a player down by his hair covered by VAR. Not when it’s Chelsea I guess. :) :)

Neither the on field or off field refs thought so.

17. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I remember one of the talking heads gettin hysterical about our PK last match. Claiming the header wasn’t going into the goal when it was handled. Therefore no PK.
    He did go on about it making a bigger fool of himself.

I really don’t know why some refs will give a free kick for an offense on the field but will refuse a pen for the same offense in the area.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    VAR cannot account for incompetence. The Cucurella offense was the worst of the bunch. Under no circumstance should that we allowed.

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree with you -- but in this instance I think the argument is that it wasn't a red card and VAR doesn't rule on yellows. so the debate becomes "was it worthy of a red"? I'm not 100% on that tbh. yes it was despicable but was it "violent" behaviour?

I'm not sure it was. and if it wasn't - VAR wouldn't do a thing, even though the ref missed it completely.

morae of the story is Cucurella needs a fukking haircut.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And now the VAR Mike Dean says he effed it up. Jeez ....

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how??

"After getting absolutely lambasted around the world for a clear cut red, I've decided to finally swallow my massive ego and admit I got it wrong. Sue me."

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol what a ********ing clown show...

I guess it's better than them just ignoring the cricitism? Transparency, I guess? What a mess.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gives back a wrongly disallowed offside goal to Newcastle. 1-1 in Tyneside thanks to VAR.

burning247 repped this.
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR takes away a bad red card going against Newcastle. Thanks VAR x2! Still 3-3 and 11 v 11.

newterp repped this.