Who's the worst starting 'keeper in MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the DCU vs. Harbor View FC mid-week match reminded me of how bad Nick Rimando is.

Surprisingly though (to me at least), if you read the DCU board threads, most United fans seem to think he's pretty good or at least on par with the average MLS goal keeper.

So my question is, if Nicky is not the worst (projected) starting keeper in MLS for 2005, then who is?

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.J COuntess....

check please.

3. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd say DJ, but I don't know anything about Zuniga either. Bo is probably high on the list too.

4. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Nick Rimando isn't horrible, but he is pretty average, and prone to some howler mistakes. I used to think he was absolutley terrible, but, you have to give him credit, he played out of his skin for most of the playoffs in 2004, and that's all that matters. He is mad short, tho, and I'm quite glad he's not my keeper (and yes, before someone mentions it, walker had a howler vs. DC last year, but he also had USMNT caps).

The goal Rimando gave up against HVFC was bad, but it is preseason. And, Stokes (?) did also run him over, which surely doesn't help.

Worst keeper in MLS in '05?

D.J. Countess.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  6. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Added the poll. And I agree, Countess sucks bad. He's the reason why I set it so you can vote for more than one. :D

7. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you think Nick Rimando is the worst starting Keeper in the league, after he won the MLS Cup? He makes mistakes, sure, but I have seen much worse. His height is the biggest draw back for him. of course, I am a homer

iViva Montclair!

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's definitely DJ Countess

9. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe it's just me but I don't buy this belief that he suddenly worked hard and gained talent. I think that he's mediocore at best, but plays behind a very good defense that makes him look considerably better. I could be proved wrong this year, but we'll see.

Either way DJ is clearly the worst as of right now, even if he does have probably the most potential.

10. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's odd that so many have voted for Zuniga without ever seeing him play. That's either ignorant or arrogamt (if you naturally assume that American will be better than an establish top MFL goalie). Let's give him a chance eh before damning him?

I think DJ is a huge gamble. I don't really rate Bo or Jeff Cassar.

11. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    poor DJ, i hope that the Real Salt Lake Coach does not read these attacks. He might end up in the bench, jeje

12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SLC with D. J. Countess is screwed.

13. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    Agreed, and he's not even the starting keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!

My vote is Rimando, and if you saw the Harbour View game, you know he SUXXORS.

14. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I believe Zuniga is presently injured. If so, he might be the worst right now.

DC ought to pick up Meola. He would be pretty cheap right now.

15. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I don't think Bo will repeat his gaudy 2004 stats, but do keep in mind they were better than Meola's who played behind the same defense. Also, before that he was a pretty solid backup and I think he just mighta learned something from backing up guys like Brad Friedel and Tony Meola his whole career.

As for the worst starting goalkeeper in 2005, it comes down to Zuniga (who might be replaced by Guzan), Countess, and Cassar. Zuniga was a national team goalie in his prime, so I'll take him off this list, because even though he's old and injured, the 'keeper position is about experience. Countess oozes potential and was regarded as the goalkeeper version of Beasley and Donovan years ago, united with his old U-17 coach I hope he'll improve. Cassar, well I wasn't nearly as impressed with him as Dallas fans were last year, and I wouldn't be suprised if Garlick beats him out for the starting job (also shame Ring got cut).

Also, what's all this hate for Nick Rimando? So what if he had an injury-riddled 2004? He came back to form in the playoffs. Don't you remember the Nick Rimando of 2001-2003? Yeah, he's the smallest kepper, but he's the most athletic.

16. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Agreed he's athletic, but he makes terrible decisions. I'm a United fan, and I cringe whenever I see him back there. I liked Perkins much better. Rimando gets my vote for the worst starter.

I saw Countess play for the burn in '03, and he looked like a young keeper with tons of potential. He was also playing on a terrible team. I still think he'll turn out well.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may have been the most athletic at one time, but not since his knee surgery. He was not good last year, he just didnt face many shots as DC gelled in front of him for the playoffs.

As for why the hate, he was godawful against harbor view. I seriously would have been sick to my stomach watching him back there if I were a DCU fan.

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

On one play he was god awful, not the whole game.. I guess you conveniently forgot to mention the two key saves he had late in the game to keep the one goal lead.

My stomach felt pretty damn good when he saved the game with those two saves.. Ican live with the occasional howler from Rimando because this team will score goals this season.. Back in 02' and 03' that wouldn't have been the case because of Ray Hudson's conservative offense, but with Nowak kicking it in high gear, I expect this team to win a few 4-3 and 3-2 type games this season..

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Jon Busch may have something to say about that...

20. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm guessing those 13 who picked Cassar are Wizards fans. I don't know if he was just in form or what but he pretty much played lights out for Dallas last year. That alone should put him ahead of several on the list.

21. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Countess couldn't make it for Dallas or Chicago. He is still young, but I would take some of the other teams' backups over him.

22. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    As truly heart-wrenchingly hideous as Nick Rimando was at times last year, let's keep in mind that he did finish as the top goaltender in the league last year.

No, seriously. He did. Check it out: http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/stats/index.jsp?club=mls

Nick's problem isn't that he's a bad 'keeper. He isn't. Nick's problem is that he makes one or two truly hideous decisions a game, and sometimes lucks out. I'd back him as the #1 keeper in the league if he'd just stop going apesh!t after crosses. But he's not going to do that. He is what he is.

Mind you, if there was a viable alternative, I'd be all ears, and I think it's time to see if Troy can improve on last season, but that doesn't make Nick the worst starting keeper in the League.

Seriously, the guy you should be hanging that label on is Johnny Walker--worst defense in the league, eh? Although I'll admit that nobody in Dallas impressed me much.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US is not hurting for GK, thats for sure. Of the list of MLS GKs, even as a RSL fan, I am worried about Countess being the worse GK in the league. However, its mostly due to the fact that I, like most ppl here, have only seen him play for the Dallas Burn in 2003. Perhaps one of the worse teams in MLS history.
    Lets be honest, having Pope in front of him this year will make him loads better than Dallas in 03.

As for the rest, Cannon, Busch, Reis, Rimando & Cassar all shined last year when we didn't expect them to. Hartman and Onstad did well as usual. Walker, Ring failed to impress so Thornton ought to be an improvement for the Fire. Who knows which Walker or Oshonyi will play this year.

24. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Granted I only usually watch DC games, but I think Walker is horrible.

25. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will know excoriate the one know nothing that voted for Cannon.

Get your head out!

OK, DJ sure. I'm a little surprised Reis isn't taking more heat but i didn;t vote for him either. Cassar v. Bo is hard because one has great offense and Dallas had Gibbs and...and...Bueller. So the head to head is hard. I took Cassar. Then, because I remembered Cassar was almost the Bachelor so I took Bo too.

Hartman, Busch, Cannon. Gold, Jerry!