Who's the Boss? Gale Agbossoumonde at Djurgården

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ed-D, Nov 6, 2009.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Djurgården announced today on their official site that the club will not be signing Gale. Djurgården manager Magnus Pehrsson commented:

"Gale has been with us for six month and I think that he has developed step by step, but after he ended up outside the starting eleven and the team started winning he hasn't been able to take further steps. Development mainly happens through playing games and therefore I have made the judgement that we should not use the option to buy. He will be leaving us at the end of the month, but if a chance for a trial arises or another club wants him then we will of course release him earlier."

1 person likes this.
  2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I hope the young man can catch on somewhere.

3. SoccerBiz

SoccerBiz Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't say that I am surprised...but still, ouch.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he had a fantastic chance to develop here and was in a great environment. MLS minimum is what he deserves

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You sound like you want to punish him. He's making significant money with traffic until his contract runs out so your dream can't come true with glee until that happens.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    And you are just assuming that he wants to see a Yank fail, so on this assumption you basically call him a jerk. Nice.

I am pretty sure OWN(yewu)ED is being realistic here and suggesting that he should go to the MLS where he can play consistently. There aren't many great options for him considering he "failed" at a mid table swedish club. Gale shouldn't have insulted the MLS because his options are getting scarce.

7. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    He's also still under contract with Traffic for another year. Unless Traffic decides it's no longer worth it to them to pay him (since any transfer fee is likely to be far less), that's not going to change.

I suppose it's possible that Traffic loans him to an MLS team, but I'm not sure how crazy MLS is about doing business with Traffic (I know that they are involved with SuperLiga), and Agbossoumonde would be a very expensive development player to bring in on loan. He's basically a GenAd rookie type player without the low cap hit. You could pick up a decent CB in the draft next year for much less.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    There's a month left in the transfer window.

Traffic has to get to work ASAP.

9. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't what he said. Take the confrontational posting down a notch, please.

10. cd715

cd715 Red Card

Aug 22, 2009
    If MLS can't afford him, who can? Another Scandinavian team?

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mls cant afford market value on a number of players, especially those under contract with Traffic.

MLS attempted to get him once, however, Gale thought the $$ wasnt right (despite it being 6 figures). If he goes to MLS he'll be getting SIGNIFICANTLY less. Most likely he'll be offered league minimum. I doubt he'll end up in MLS after that. I suspect once free from Traffic he'll end up in some 2nd division of a lesser league until he proves his worth (if ever)

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love comments like this. :D

How do you know that?

13. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    This is troubling! Does anyone have a link to some sort of list of Traffic's clients?

14. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I love quotes like this:

"Gale has been with us for six month and I think that he has developed step by step, but after he ended up outside the starting eleven and the team started winning he hasn't been able to take further steps. Development mainly happens through playing games and therefore I have made the judgement that we should not use the option to buy. He will be leaving us at the end of the month, but if a chance for a trial arises or another club wants him then we will of course release him earlier."

If you don't play any games you can't get any better and you can get any better unless you play games.

or

If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding.....

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he really said was,

"Once we dropped Gale from the team the team started doing well. We realized Gale wasn't good enough for us, so there wasn't a point in wasting our time and money on him.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

The sad truf.

17. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    very true.. but why spell it out for the fans and media when you can use coach speak.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because these are real people that you see everyday and have to deal with. I'm not sure about your work situation, but if you ever had to fire people, did you say, "you were absolute **** at your job and smelled bad." It's easy for us to write "person X sucks and smells bad" because we'll never see them.

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    If there's no market, there's no value. Djurgarden are a midtable Swedish club. I can't imagine a worse club offering serious money.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony is that we are all screaming "he has to get out of that traffic contract!" When in all likelihood Traffic saying the same thing. He's clearly not going to make them any money and at this point, anybody who'd be willingly to pay some of his wages for the rest of the contract would suit them. After that we can talk about Gale coming back to MLS on league minimum (which is what he would get) or probably bouncing around the lower reaches of European football.

21. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows if he was good enough for them. The coincidence of their sudden winning, though, didn't allow him to play and without playing why would they pay a fee? Doesn't mean that he's not "good enough" so much as they don't want to invest in a player that they'll have to develop...when they can likely get one of those from their youth ranks.

Here's hoping that Gale doesn't let this deeply slight him, but I'm more than sure it stings a bit.

22. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exhibit number two million three on how to f' up your career by chasing money straight out of the gate. Talented kid who hasn't gotten demonstrably better in the last three years. Gook luck to him.

1 person likes this.
  23. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    clearly an example of how international soccer is different from professional sports in the US

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Maybe.

Or maybe the kid is just not good enough or ready enough.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much everyone agrees that a club Djurgarden would serve as a great starting point for Gale. But on a half-season loan that functions as an extended trial, doing things like showing up late for practice doesn't ingratiate a player to a manager.