Who's roster would you rather have?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Quills, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Quills

Quills Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Richardson
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since many people around here are unhappy with the current state of FCD's roster, here's a question for you...

If you could swap the entire FCD roster with the entire roster of any other MLS team, which teams would you do it for? Note: Only players get swapped, not the FO or coach.

Here's my take:

Yes I'd swap
    Houston - Duh... championship roster with a couple up and coming youngsters like Holden and Ianni.

Chivas - A good mix of vets and young guys that gelled last year and look to improve this year.

DC United - A bunch of new South Americans to go along with Fred, Emilio, and Olsen... a good youngster in Burch and upgraded GK with Wells.

LA Galaxy - They have some holes and depth issues but I wouldn't mind watching Donovan and Beckham +9 for a couple years.

Tough call but not right now
    New England - They have a nice starting roster even without Dorman and Noonan, but not much depth and I don't see anything special in their youth. I think this roster has hit its peak and is on its way down.

Kansas City - They have a bunch of young guys that could be fun to watch in a year or two but I'd need to see more this year before making the call.

Chicago Fire - I don't know what to make of this team. Sometimes they look like world-beaters and sometimes they look like shite. I'll take the devil I know over the devil I don't.

Not gonna happen
    New York - Jozy will be off to Europe soon. Angel and Richards are the only players I really like. The rest of the roster... blah.

Colorado - It seems like everyone on that roster is another team's reject. Individually the players don't seem that bad, but put them together and it's a big pile of crap.

Toronto - Edu will be off to Europe soon and Cunningham is declining and then what...

Columbus - Hah
    Real Salt Lake - Hahaha
    San Jose - Hahahahahahahaha

And for the record my thought process on the FCD roster. While we could use an attacking, creative force to run the offense and probably another defender, we have a lot of young talent. This year might be a step back if things don't click right but the future could be VERY bright.

2. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are giving Houston and LA too much credit. They both have issues.

3. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psshhh. We are at the same place we were at the beginning of '07. Our issues are nothing compared to yalls.

4. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I'm just curious about these questions for the Dynamo.

Who is playing at forward this season? Who are the backups?

Who will cover for Ching when he misses his usual 10 games a season or so with injuries and callups?

What happens if Eddie Robinson misses any amount of time? Who is going to play left back?

Is that backup goalie you signed any good because Onstad is going to break down soon?

I think Houston's starting XI is much better than FCD's, but that FCD's bench/potential is much better than Houston's. Right now it's Ching and Wondolowski up front right? There are 5 forwards on FCD's roster better than Wondo. If DeRo is moved up to forward who takes his spot at attacking mid?

5. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly my point. They are playing in every competition possible this year, but hey have no depth. Their starters will be worthless by October.

6. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose hahahahahahaha? why? I'd take San Jose.

7. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd love to have our old roster from '07. Give Goodson a little more $$'s. Dump Denilson, and trade his salary for a Christian Gomez or Amado Guevara type of signing. Add a Rocha, and look to move one of the 4 defensive mids that we have.

You'd still have a very young and promising lineup. Maybe the best in MLS.

8. Quills

Quills Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Richardson
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would rather have San Jose's roster right now? I mean they have a GK and a nice defense, Grabavoy's good, and Guerrero is solid... and then... Kemara and Glinton?? They are definitely shaping up to have a solid roster but as of right now there is NO depth or youth and not much at forward.

9. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe so, but they've got a better start than any of the last three expansion teams have had. it's not the best, but it's not utterly laughable. these are just the building blocks, and it's a good foundation to build on. it'd be kind of fun to be a San Jose fan right now.

10. Quills

Quills Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Richardson
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. So maybe "hahahahaha" was a little harsh but I still wouldn't want their roster over ours.

11. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Ching/Wondo or Ching/DeRo with Ashe as a nother possibility.

2. A Ching injury is possible but just because it happened last year doesnt make it a certainty. As for callups, I'm not sure he will be getting that many between what the nats now have available.

3. If ERob misses time? For what? We have Ianni.

4. Pat Onstad may break down, but he hasnt shown any signs. Our new backup keeper led the 2006 USL champion Whitecaps. That doesnt make him spectacular, but niether is Onstad.

5. Holden takes his place as attacking mid.

--------------------- Onstad/Caig ----------------
    Waibel/Mulrooney-----Boswell/Ianni---- Rob/Ianni-----Barret
    ----------------Clark/Mulrooney---------------
    -------Mullan----------------------Davis/Holden/Ashe------
    -----------------DeRo/Holden/Ashe----------------
    -----------Ching-------Wondo/Dero/Ashe?-----------

So, sure, we should get another forward. I dont think most people on the Houston board would agree with you about Wondo. His 2007 reserve stats were pretty good. I think only Cooper and Thompson are better, but we may differ. Its hard to rate fowards you dont ever see play ;). But other than that we are completely solid. Thats essentially the same record setting defense as last year but with a swap of boswell for cochrane which probably wont make much difference. So between that, and the likely proven (ie Jaqua/Ngwenya) MLS forward that Dom is bound to trade all of our future draft picks for, I think we are in excellent shape, on paper anyway.

If you take into account that Holden and Ianni will miss time for the Olympics and the huge number of games we have to play, the depth may not be enough. But thats a problem we are lucky to have. Cant wait to see the reserves win SuperLiga for us!