Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s worth noting that this is based on Garber saying team #30 will be announced in the next year and reporting that Las Vegas is the front runner for that spot. It does not mean that Vegas is actually on the verge of being announced as the next team.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's another NFL stadium we need to start some protests.

TrueCrew and canammj repped this.
  3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ==========
    Agreed !
    I dislike Charlotte already and they haven't even played a game
    Overlarge NFL stadium, PSL's and then literally pulling the rug out- grass to plastic. I now don't care if they are remodeling the stadium for soccer or even if they fill the lower deck. I add them to SEA, NE, VAN, PDX, ATL as games I generally will not watch on TV because of the plastic field.
    -
    I don't think Vegas is where MLS should go next. Phoenix to me would be a better option between the 2. Then knowing MLS, a city will come out of the blue. (think SLC & Chivas). I was really hoping the Don had come up with investors for Sacramento instead...

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...that's not Garber's responsibility. Until Nagle is no longer a part of Sac Republic's MLS bid, I doubt MLS (read, the owners) will seriously consider them again.

I wouldn't rule out San Diego.......that's the darkhorse here that could come out of "nowhere" to get team #30.

Threeke repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aztec Stadium is being built with MLS in mind.

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/top...s-standing-between-san-diego-and-an-mls-team/

SDSU officials confirmed that they have been in talks with MLS but only to share updates about site development.

“Throughout this process, from the very beginning, we have continued to provide updates (to MLS officials) on project details on where we are,” said Executive Associate Athletic Director of Mission Valley Development Derek Grice.

MLS representatives did not respond to requests for comment...

...SDSU is incorporating certain MLS field and stadium requirements into the stadium design.

owian repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At least he dropped the "60 to 90 day" announcement....:thumbsup:

7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one will be very disappointed if LV is chosen and they ignore the team, the fans , supporters and traditions that are already in place (like Charlotte did).

8. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I was hoping it would be the Lights in a new SSS.

TrueCrew repped this.
  9. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------
    Would have been cool if the refurbishment of Memorial could have been done up to MLS standards and the team play there- 20,000 seats instead of 65,000.
    They could "borrow" the NFL a couple times of year for big events.
    I still think its a big step for Charlotte to jump to MLS size crowds, as prior Charlotte USL teams were not exactly knocking the doors down attendance wise.

10. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------
    Actually I think it is as much the Don's job to find investors in as much as it was his call to put Sacramento on hold. Heck he dropped Miami and Tampa earlier in his career. He is the head cheerleader, finding big money people comes with job.
    ------------
    As for San Diego, it would be a dark horse, but if MLS really wanted another California team, it could be the replacement for Sacto- any idea what kind of big money people in SD would be interested in a franchise? With only MLB and NCAA competition for sports $, it could work. Stadium is there, current soccer is there , who knows?

owian and Threeke repped this.
  11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not Don's job to find the investor's for individual teams. The decision to drop Miami and Tampa Bay was not Don Garber's, it was made by Kraft, Anschutz and Hunt. Just like all major league decisions for MLS are made by the investors of the teams.

Ron Burkle is involved with the San Diego NWSL Team. He decided to not move forward with a MLS expansion team in Sacramento, not Don Garber. I would have to believe that the MLS Billionaires Club wouldn't be opposed to admitting Burkle again. MLS are the ones who brought Burkle to Sacramento's table....the fact that he eventually couldn't see eye to eye with Nagle and the mayor shouldn't be all that surprising. Meg Whitman walked away from them too....

TrueCrew and Threeke repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for expansion clubs but he tried to get the Glazers to invest in the Fusion and I'm sure he's trying to find a primary investor for RSL.

13. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    I seriously doubt Burkle gets involved in anything San Diego MLS related without buy-in from Landon Donovan, which means something significant would have to change with his relationship with SD Loyal.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't Donovan have to relinquish his stake in the Loyal if he becomes a Head Coach in MLS? MLS in San Diego doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with twe Loyal either.....Just like MLS in Austin has ZERO to do with Austin Bold....

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing to stop people having an interest in teams in different leagues.

16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still can

17. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -----------
    I guess the Raider Dome could be the temp home until the MLS stadium is done.
    While too large, it at least has grass.
    I am not sure Vegas can handle more sports teams at this time.
    I am surprised NBA is not actually there yet and MLB is still a what if.
    I MLS would be a small fish in a small barrel.

18. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... FieldTurf?

Back when international clubs had a series of friendlies in the States, they tried playing a match at Lucas Oil between Chelsea and Inter Milan, and all everyone did was bitch about the turf. Knocked us out of contention of 2026 World Cup hosting, it did.

Also, if my memory serves me, Charlotte SC is only following in the proud tradition of their forefathers, the Carolina Panthers, in demanding PSLs and forcing soccer fans in the area to break their Dale Earnhardt Jr. piggy banks like their daddies did.

They grow up so fast.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ranking the contenders:
    1. Las Vegas

-The frontrunner should absolutely be considered a strong contender. Not only do we need a team in that southwest sun corridor but Las Vegas adds a lot of global recognition to the league and gets into the gambling side of things. If the ownership deal can get its act together then this one should be a lock to happen.

2. Phoenix
    -If it’s not Vegas, then Phoenix should be up to bat. Regardless, Phoenix should be a top market for expansion when MLS inevitably looks to expand past 30 teams.

3. Detroit
    -When we go back to the Midwest, Detroit should be the frontrunner. It’s too large of a market to ignore and getting a footprint in Michigan would help everyone. And it’s quite shocking that they’re not already in USL.

4. Indianapolis
    -Like Phoenix to Vegas, if it’s not Detroit, then it’s Indianapolis. That said, truthfully, I don’t know if Indianapolis is a “can’t miss” for MLS and it may be more appropriately suited for USL than MLS... as it’s more of a potential FC Cincinnati than an Atlanta United. But if Indy can get its act together, I would say that we could gain another quality mid tier club in the league.

5. New Orleans
    -For the same reason that Vegas should be such a strong candidate, New Orleans should be right there with them. It’s a fun, party city that instantly adds culture to the league. However, unlike Vegas, they’re still not even in USL and don’t have ownership lined up. But if I was a billionaire who wanted to get in MLS, New Orleans would be one of my top choices for the fact that I believe this market could have one of the best fan experiences in the league.

6. San Diego
    -Sunny Southern California is still a market that hasn’t fully mined its wealth (although its saturated enough to knock San Diego down to 6th on this chart). And with the vacancy left in the market, you have to believe that a potential owner would be willing to invest in the area.

7. Sacramento
    -It’s a shame that Sacramento collapsed as a market, and I imagine the league will be much more cautious to expand there again. Still, there’s a reason that the league wanted to expand in the California capitol. And coming out of the Covid pandemic, there might be a hungry investor who is willing to pick up where it left off.

8. San Antonio
    -If the league decides to expand past 30 teams, Texas can handle four teams, and there’s no doubt that San Antonio would be a very successful addition to the league.

9. Albuquerque
    -New Mexico might be too small of a market to be a frontrunner, but New Mexico United has been a hit and it’s an untapped resource. The question with Albuquerque, are they simply a USL club or can they play with the big boys?

10. Louisville
    -Similar to Albuquerque (and Oklahoma City who is #11 on my list), are they simply a USL club or can they play with the big boys? Now how much would MLS gain by having New Mexico or Louisville in the league? Honestly, I don’t think it’ll be much bigger than FC Cincinnati, but I still look at FC Cincinnati as more of a positive than a negative. And I believe if Louisville had the right ownership group, they should be a contender.

Honorable Mention: 11. Oklahoma City, 12. Milwaukee, 13. Tampa Bay, 14. El Paso, 15. Cleveland, 16. Pittsburgh, 17. Birmingham, 18. Baltimore

USL should consider for expansion: Boise, Riverside, San Fernando Valley, Ventura County, Santa Barbara, Virginia Beach, Knoxville, Asheville, Columbia, Greensboro, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, West Virginia, Montana, Dayton, Bradenton, Corpus Christi, Harrisburg, Wilmington, Hudson Valley, Jackson, Little Rock, Lubbock, Eugene, and Grand Rapids

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rule out New Orleans based on climate and demographics. Climate is an easy one but the combined white and Hispanic population of the MSA is only 750k and the average per capita income is $18,834.

21. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What no Wichita ???

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Chicago Fire attendance has fallen steadily like a glider, from 17k/g in 1998 to 10k/g in 2021. No youth development in a very big market. I say move them to Detroit, get a downtown redevelopment centered around a stadium. Detroint is already becoming “cool” (which Garber seems to like). Chicago Fire front office seems terrible. They are wasting that franchise.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back just a little while ago rumors had KC moving to Philadelphia. That didn't happen and now no one would talk of moving them now. You can't just keep moving teams, you need to figure out how to become relevant in the market.

canammj and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS wants/needs a team in the country's third biggest city. I think there's more chance of Saputo packing his bags and selling Montreal's shareholding.

As for Detroit, it would have a team by now if it could have sorted out a stadium.

jaykoz3 and dspence2311 repped this.