Who's going to thank Nowak's father?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Beaker, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Beaker

Beaker Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Vienna, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was lying in bed last night, reliving the season in my mind and trying to get chants out of my brain, when I remembered an article Goff wrote at the beginning of the season (A Father Lit Nowak's Fire Within; Soccer Mentor Dad Instilled Will to Win In United's Coach; Steven Goff. The Washington Post. Washington, D.C.: Apr 16, 2004.) It was strictly about Nowak, his upbringing, his father, his playing days, etc. (I'm taking all this info from memory, so please forgive me if it isn't exactly correct.) There was a section in that article that described Nowak's father as fiercely competitive and constantly pushing his son to do better things. Nowak's Dad told him he'd never play on the national team. He did. He told him he'd never do such and such. He did. He told him he'd never win the MLS cup. He (obviously) did.

So, who knows how to contact Nowak's Dad and give him a big "Dziękują" for pushing his son. At the same time, is it possible for that person to ask him to tell his son that there's no way he'll win 3 cups in a row? It would go something like this: "Wy nie będziecie wygrywają trzy *MLS* filiżanki."

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nowak is a funny name

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Member+

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It's pretty common Slavic surname (we spell it Novak tho :) means new one, new man.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Hopefully his dad told him he could never get a team to repeat.

5. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I once heard a story about how nowak's father would take him out to a field in the woods and practice with him everyday and push him hard. at times they'd do 1v1 and dad would win every time and embarass him in front of friends, girls, anf faimily. finally in his early 20s nowak beat his dad.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all seems to have worked out and all, but his dad sounds like kind of a dick.

7. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Is it me, or does anyone else get the feeling a Rocky-esque movie is in order?

8. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I would ask Tino to send on some of the baby gifts we sent him to Nowak's dad.

9. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking more along the lines of The Little Train That Could! "I think I can, I think I can!"

PS How does that translate into Polish?

10. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Seinfeld]Hello, Novak.[/Seinfeld]