Who's going to get a stadium first?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by stinky, Nov 10, 2004.

1. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    who will it be...

chicago and colorado seem to be definites...so they're not included...

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United has their sh!t together. They'll get theirs first, followed by Real Salt Lake second.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until "shovel hits the ground", I wouldn't count on anything being definite.

Take McKinney, TX, and the Burn, for instance.

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC and NE already have their's. It would be nice to have a smaller stadium, but both owners have too good a deal to spend much money or effort on a new stadium.

I voted SLC, but Metros or DC could get their acts together first. They just have a history of not getting it done. :( :p

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Metro is out of the running.

NJ's governor-to-be has said that the present plans for a Harrison SSS are dead.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149810

6. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    Considering LA has no NFL team, there are often articles in the LA Times about what goes on at NFL owner meetings since it usually has something to do with LA getting a NFL team.

Anywayzzzzzz

Last week when NFL owners got together they also discussed what current NFL teams are in need of new stadiums. And guess who was in the top 3..........Kansas City.

So considering that KC may be pressured into just such a move, perhaps the SSS situation in KC is not dead. Of course Arrowhead could be refurbished. So that means no new stadium, but at least a nicer home for the Wizards. But what are the chances that a small SSS could be built alongside a new home for the Chiefs?

Just a thought. But I wouldn't mind seeing KC get a place of its own.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd buy that if the Harrison project wasn't in direct conflict with the Governor-desginate's plans, thus giving him incentive to say such a thing. If the HCIA goes thumbs down on the bonds, then the Mutts are out of the running. But they're the closest ones, plan-wise, so they got my vote.

8. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The proposed Bi-State II sales tax that would have funded renovations of both Arrowhead and Kauffman plus contribute $$$,$$$,$$$'s to the "Arts" failed. Some people are pushing for a new downtown baseball stadium rather than sinking mega millions into a 30+ year old (albeit still quite nice) stadium. I'm not holding my breath for that one.

There has also been rumblings about a retail/youth/soccer stadium complex in Johnson County, Kansas that would be a mix of public and private money.

The Royals and Chiefs aren't yet threatening to move but generally that what owners do when they want the public to pony up for their new digs.

A new arena will be built downtown, set to open in 2007 so things are starting to move in KC.

9. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    United has their plans ready to go but when dealing with the DC City Council ANYTHING can happen.