who's better for France? Trez or Saha?

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by lefutur, Aug 30, 2006.

1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Raymond obviously doesnt favor Trezequet very much and is starting Saha for the qualification games against Georgia and Italy.

Is this the right decision given Trez's scoring record with Les Bleus?

2. allezlesbleusno1

allezlesbleusno1 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    History favors Trezeguet, however I have not seen him this season with Juve nor with the French NT to assess his performance. Saha was not bad at all when I saw him play alongside Henry. We'll see how he fares against Georgia and Italy.

3. allezlesbleusno1

Jan 7, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Any information on what the extent of his injury is? I would like to see him play if he is fit. I know against Georgia he won't be, but will he be fit for the Italy game?!?!

4. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i think the 2 are better than Henry. when playing against tough opposition play saha + trez. when opposition is weak Henry must play

5. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    I don't think it is the right decision.I like how aggressive Trézéguet is when he strikes the goal.He is always looking to attack the net.I read that Trézéguet has 64 caps with the national team and 32 goals.If he has success and experience why would anyone have him on the bench?

6. allezlesbleusno1

Jan 7, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not so... Henry is good at breaking down the defense and creating chances which now is increasingly difficult with no real playmaker such as Zidane. Trezeguet is good but he needs someone to accompany him to be able to supply the ball. Saha is more similar in style to Henry than he is to Trezeguet so the pairing Trezeguet and Saha would work. But Henry is better at being slightly behind Trezeguet on the left flank.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm liking Saha more and more. The guys got some mad skills and he sticks the ball in the back of the net. He can also defend and press. I really understand why Sir Alex jetisoned RVN in favor of starting Saha.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the question isn't really who is the better player but who fills the spot better. france's style right now demands movement and contribution in multiple roles and areas from everyone. malouda and henry defend, vieira goes right to the goalmouth, ribery left right and center, abidal spends as much time at the opposite corner flag as his own.

amid all this, we have trez trotting around the goalmouth waiting for his 2-3 balls a match? i don't think so.

9. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Saha even said that competition is good for any player. I think France is lucky to have so many strikers in their peak now. Saha, Henry, Trez, Cissé in a year or 2 maybe.

10. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    when i watched manu a lot, saha always struck me as a player with incredible ability that was hampered by injury. Now that he's fit (knock on wood), he's shown that he has as much predatory instinct as trezeguet, in addition to a mobile and physical game that wreaks havoc on defenses. Above all though, he is tremendously skilled, and can either set up a player with a subtle flick or simply beat his marker with his touch and finish.

11. archit2761990

archit2761990 New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Burlington, Ontario,
    Honestly the way Saha is playing with Man. U right now, I would say Trezeguet has passed his prime and Saha is playing so much better.

12. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Have you seen how Trez is playing w/ Juve? 5 goals in 3 matches.... and he has the goal record to prove it and how can you say he is past his prime when he's just 29.

Thus, define how Saha is playing "so much better".

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    5 goals in 3 seria B matches... :rolleyes:

...although you could argue that only makes it tougher since all the old lady's opponents are supermotivated, playing for the 0-0...

but the question isn't who is better period but who is better in blue. you could put the question another way: who's a better partner for henry?

even though they're old pals, trez and titi have rarely (take away that awesome friendly in gelsenkirchen back before the punic wars and you could perhaps say never) made big sparks on the field together. not only don't they make appels croisés (sorry, don't know the english term), they have styles that are almost mutually exclusive. if the team is playing in a way to make the most of henry, trezeguet is a fifth wheel; if they're playing to trezeguet, henry becomes just a malouda bis.

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You make some good points. And the look on Trez's face when he got subbed kind of spelled out that he knew that he wasn't fitting in with the team anymore. Its like he knew he wasnt going to get called up if Cissé and Saha are available.

15. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Good point. Well, you might want to try the later when Malouda's not there and you want to keep Ribery elsewhere. I mean, that's better than having an useless player on the pitch. Trez doesn't deserve that either. It's obvious he's one of the best in his role but if you're willing to use him you have to do it properly. He's still an asset though, I can't imagine him not being called again just because he's not complete...