Who writes the copy for FSW promos???

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Michael K., Oct 11, 2003.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't quote it exactly, but whoever did the copy for the promo for tonights Metro-Dallas match ought to get a special prize for writing something so atrociously bad, I'd change the channel if I saw it coming up again. Dallas "will fight for every point to move up the table" (right) while the two teams battle "to see who'll score the golden goal." Please spare us such stupid, overblown, out-of-touch-with-reality bits in the future. It's a game and you have to promote it, yes, but that just makes it a joke - it's an end of season match with nothing on the line, not the Champions League final.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You have no doubt noticed the slight grammatical and syntactical atrocities that are common for most of their promos, then. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but... well, they're frequent enough that I've gotten to where I notice them and try really hard to forget them.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I wonder whether Max is dabbling in scriptwriting? :rolleyes:

4. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Rack him.

5. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i liked the old promos for the Brazilian league, where the guy would say "Brazil...famous for RELIGION". so weird.

6. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    I like the horrible pronunciation of foreign, and even domestic, names. Henry (pronounced like John Henry), Sannay, etc.

Basically, FSW should just outsource some of this stuff to Bigsoccer. We'll clean it up.

7. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About two years ago, on-air promos for FSI started coming more and more under the control of their marketing muckety-mucks (as opposed to an actual creative director that worked hand in hand with producers), that tended to be a little more sensationalistic.

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the Promo Producers (last I heard) are from Latin America (but based in LA). I used to cut spots in English for FSW, and then sit down and translate them with someone who spoke Spanish. This could be the same thing happening, but in reverse.

9. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And consider he said that weeks AFTER Dallas was eliminated from the playoffs is a joke in it's own manner. :rolleyes:

Eventually with 3 PKs saved, that never happened.

10. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    At the beginning of the year, their promo from the French League talked about how Monaco dominated last season, and asked if they will be dethroned as champion. It took them over a month to realize that Monaco did not win the French League last year. In fact, Lyon were the champions.

11. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Who says Germans don't have feelings?"

FSW's promos are cheesy but I'll take those over
    the Fox Broadcast network promos they've been
    bombarding us with lately - namely "That 70's show