Who would you want to see in Quakes blue next year if LD goes to Europe

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by DotMPP, Oct 26, 2004.

1. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he's going to probably win the Honda Player of the year award a third time, get us past KC and LA and... The Rev's in the final.

Then he's off to Europe, who would you like to see next year if you can't see LD?

My short list:

Reyna, Lewis or O'Brien...

2. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Gaven or Nate Jaqua. There really hasn't been too many players this year to speak highly of but these guys played well last year and have continued.

3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're going to really see what MLS thinks of San Jose. LD leaving will be a top level allocation due to San Jose. They are going to need to ante up someone of Herzog, Ruiz or Guevara's level, from outside the league.

4. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I'm definately going to miss about LD is his explosive speed. There are few on any continent that can match his ball control coupled with his pace. A truly gifted player.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Zinedine Zidane

6. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna will probably head to an Eastern club. O'Brien might be a thought, but where to put him in the lineup is a question... Maybe if Corralles left for most possibly Chivas USA, then a spot could open up for JOB--however given that he's from SoCal...

Lewis returning would be a delight, especially since he's never gotten a chance to wear a Quakes uniform, having been sold right before the start of the 2000 season. I'd bet on that especially if LD leaves for BL04 or name European club. Cheers!

7. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Michael Owen, he can't get a game in Madrid anyway.. ;)

but seriously I would mind finding ourselves with EJ next season. I would love to see what we could do to help his passing and teamwork as well as work-rate. He'd be a top notch player for us, maybe even MVP quality.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, Eddie (L) wouldn't be an equivalent level player as a replacement for LanDo. Wayne Rooney or Christian Ronaldo would be getting closer. Someone that is a vastly superior player. I tremble in wonder when I think of what LD will be like at the age of 25 or 26 if he gets to play at the highest level. What would he have been like if he had played in Europe at 16?

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There you go! Then sjqf would really be trembling. :D

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He tried that earlier. It was his return to the US after sitting on the BL bench for two years that really inspired him to become a better player and made him a more rounded and developed player that can (and will) do well in Europe.

More to the point, I would love to see Eddie Lewis go to SJ and whip in crosses to Ching. However, I doubt that he'll be heading back to the US for a while. Hope for JOB (it's possible) and pray that he stays healthy.

11. kevin james

kevin james New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    san francisco

We could use a running mate for Dayak so my vote would be for Clint.

12. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    Luis Figo, would be nice.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. He didn't play in Europe.

14. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This isn't up to MLS to find SJ a new player. Unfortunately in your situation, its up to the front office to search out and find the player they want to sign and then get it approved by MLS. With the obvious distraction of relocation already taking up their time, finding a replacement for LD may not be the priority that it should be if he leaves this offseason. Added to that dilemma is the incompetence of Alexi and it's doubtful the Earthquakes front office will find anyone outside of MLS to sign unless someone overseas directly states that they want to play in MLS with SJ. Probably only Eddie Lewis would say that.

Also, as much as I'd love for JOB to play in MLS, why would he leave Ajax?

15. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I think I would die if we got Eddie Lewis back....he is one of my all time favorite soccer players....I luv that man!

Not that I want to think about things that might stop this idea, but he has got to be gettin' up there in age...how old is he now?

16. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    One guy I've been really impressed with this year is Alecko Eskandarian. That guy has really shown he has a nose for the goal.

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guillermo Franco...in part for scoring goals....in part to get our rivalry with Chivas USA started off right

;)

18. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im not familar w/ franco but like your suggestion of getting the new rivalry going. assuming lando goes, we automatically go down a notch--that guy is everything to this team. goos wears the captain band out of respect to his rings and leadership, but its lando's team just like the nats has already become. i dont think we replace him with one or even two players, but a playmaker and a goal scorer are definitely going to be needed.

19. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Easy. Dwayne DeRosario.

20. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Noticed the winky face, so you also think it's near impossible we'll get Franco. Would be nice, though. Read an article on espn deportes last week about his interest in Spain and Villareal's interest in him, so he's probably going over there.

NoahDahl, we'd better keep DeRo. Health permitting, it would be his chance to shine, with no Canada callups other than CONCACAF Cup or the occasional friendly distracting him (no World Cup pressure, in other words).

Wonder if we'll be able to get an Iranian.

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna and O'Brien are hurt too much. I dont see either in MLS right now either. Lewis would be a nice fit, but I dont see him on the way back.

I dont think the answer for the Quakes is just one player. I think an anchor left mid is the most likely replacement that we can find. However, a top notch center back would also help.

Overall I dont see the quakes actually using the allocation. I dont see a good fit available right now. I think its much more likely that the Quakes trade the allocation for one or more players in the league that would fit our needs.

I think this will be a very difficult offseason to navigate.

22. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of the guys rumored to be on the way back, Keller isnt really worth it for us. And Mathis I think would be a disaster on the Quakes. Or maybe it would be really good for him, I dunno.

23. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Lewis would be ideal, but I dont think we have that many feasable options. I know the league will try to stick us with a Panamanian guy or a guy from T&T, someone who impressed during qualifying, but that won't cut it. Im willing to wait for the next big name to come to MLS, or trade that waiting certificate for someone who will make a difference.

24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was a "would you want" thread, so I posted it, but I don't think it's possible. I think he's a heck of finisher though and I love this enthusiasm. And I think it's necessary for us to be pretty deep up top.

I also wonder if Sergei Rebrov couldn't be had for a low price tag? He couldn't cut it in the EPL, but I wonder if he could be pretty good in MLS? I'd only trial him though....I'd never sign him untrialed. He doesn't have Donovan's speed but he can play withdrawn forward. And before his time in the EPL, he scored a lot of goals. I dunno.

-KMJvet

25. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clint Mathis is player who I would bet goes to the Earthquakes for LD (or else to Chicago since they have numerous allocations remaining). One guy going to the Bundesliga - one guy leaving the Bundesliga - although not exactly the same talent but MLS can not afford a LD equivalent in the world transfer market.