Who would you start against Liverpool?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by greenie, Aug 29, 2002.

1. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    To hell with the 3-5-2. Our not-yet-all-together defenders are going to have their hands full dealing with Owen, Diouf, Riise, Heskey, etc.

What I'd love to see, given who's healthy enough to start:

Shearer LuaLua
    Viana Speed Dyer Nobby
    Barnard Bramble Nikos Hughes
    Given

Bring Robert on around 65-70 minutes in for whichever midfielder isn't cutting it; similarly, give Shola the run if Little Treasure isn't having a good day. Jenas deserves time if we need offense, but if we're level at 75-80 minutes then I'd be just as happy to see O'Brien come into the game and bunker a bit.

Sure, that's the same starting lineup we had against Zeljo today but given what's available at the moment it's hard to think of any worthwhile swaps in there.

thoughts?

2. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    I agree entirely, especially about not risking 3-5-2 again.

My only proviso would be that if Robert is really fit (psychologically as well as physically) then I would like to see him start, with Viana moved inside instead of Speed.

3. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I like Viana, but I think Speed's experience will be a lot more valuable. Regardless of his skill, Viana is still a very young player and I think Speed's maturity is a better asset against the Scousers... not to mention, Speed is certainly more familiar with all of the players on the pitch, both his teammates and the opposition.

At some point this season I wouldn't be surprised to see Speed out of the starting lineup on a regular basis, but for Viana and/or Jenas to displace him they'll need to perform at a high level, and very consistently.

4. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I don't think Wor Bobby will experiment with a three-man back against Lousypool... he wants the three points instead.

5. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    One point would be a big improvement on recent results there!

6. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Start Vianna

7. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I wonder whether Bellamy will get any playing time.

8. MUFCSucks

MUFCSucks Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    LousyPool?

How Gay!
    How you!

9. MUFCSucks

MUFCSucks Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Give your back 4( use only 3 and it dont matter your dead) and your front 2 Shotguns and you may escape with a point:p