Who would you like to see replace BB?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dsirias, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    As no one else started this thread, I will. I know y'all have thought about it.

Has to be someone currently not under contract and available after the debacle-to-be in Spain this coming June--my prediction of the completion of BB's demise. Mexico was just the start.

Where is the "special one" BTW?

2. TheRustyEunuch

Oct 16, 2007
    Medellín
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Mexico was the start? All of the Mexican players are playing and in game shape right now. Only a handfull of US starters are currently playing and in game shape. We managed a draw and really were a Dempsey half step away from winning the game under these conditions. As BB keeps getting favorable results i will sit back and enjoy.

3. argaen

argaen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Tucson, Arizona
    Outside of doing well against Mexico, which isn't that hard considering this rivalry lately, he has one trash goal win against Switzerland. What other positive results are you talking about? Winning against a really bad South African team?

4. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    Ruud Gullit.

5. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    umm winning the Gold Cup was the deal sealer guys. Bob will be our manager until he's knocked out of WCQ or the WC.

No one will replace him, there's just no chance he'll be fired. We're past the point of no return.

This question is like asking what players would you like if you had all the resources in the world. What would you do if you had a million dollars.

It just serves no purpose, except to induce further negativity.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I'll list the US "in shape" players - everyone but Convey ... and it wasn't Bobby's fault he was in the game.

7. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    What coaches would even be options besides maybe Mourinho? I can't think of any elite level coaches who are not with a team except Mourinho.

8. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I agree with you the US team was in shape. Perhaps a few of the Euro based players were jetlagged. Basically no excuses should be used.

I'm not sure what you are saying or impling about Convey.

Quite frankly I wouldn't have even called Convey in for the match based on his current form. That is a moot point however.

Are you saying that if Bradley called Convey up and selected him for the starting line up that Convey was obligated to play? Are you saying that Convey wasn't game fit or that he was injured and it was Bob Bradley's fault for playing him?

Bottom line every player should be held accountable to his coach and his team. If a player is carrying an injury and knows he is hurt he should make it clear to the coach that he isn't available for selection. Anything short of that sort of honest open communication between player and coach will prove to be detrimental to the team and the program. Period. Do you agree?

9. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden. What negative results are you talking about? Aside from the fact that we often look like shit while continuing to get results, which I'm not convinced is Bradley's doing, but more the fact that our players aren't actually that extraordinary overall. Shocking, I know.

Anyway, I vote Ricardo Lavolpe.

10. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The basis for calls to fire Bob Bradley are style of play issues. Because, the bottom line is that we've been getting results under BB since day one (with the exception of Copa America, which really was more a lack of personnel issue). And, BB deserves credit for experimenting with players and giving fair looks to lots of different guys.

In 2007 and early 2008, we:
    • won the Gold Cup with, on paper, our best performance ever: a 6-0-0 record.
    • Beat Mexico twice.
    • Beat Switzerland on Swiss soil.
    • Beat South Africa in South Africa
    • Were competitive with Brazil
    • Beat Sweden's B-team with our B-team at home.
    • Beat Ecuador convincingly at home.

Really, our only true stumble when we had adequate personnel at our disposal was the match against Sweden in August 2007, but even that was only a 1 goal loss on the road to a definite top-15 team.

Again, the problem under BB hasn't been the results. It's been our style of play, and BB's refusal to experiment with different formations, which results in him often trying to stick round pegs into square holes (or is it square pegs into round holes, I forget :)).

11. smashthacan

smashthacan New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    CA
    I just wish the coaches we choose would be more open to change. Sampson, then Bruce, now this.

12. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I think the point being made was that Dempsey, Howard, Gooch, and Bradley were technically the only ones "in season." The rest were in advanced pre-season form. Plus we were missing our fullbacks, Beasley, and EJ.

Three players missing, three players out of season, one player out of shape, and four players in season and in shape.

The set-piece plays were quite upsetting, but that wasn't the point of the post. We didn't have a full strength team and once again we pulled out a result (you must have already forgotten last year's performance with our B team against their A team). That is all.

"It wasn't Bobby's fault he was in the game." - Just odd. No response.

13. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    ANYBODY with proven international experience or has played at a high international level. Hell, I'd even take Arena back at this point. If the USA keeps scheduling minnows then BB will stay on. Were we to schedule some truly strong teams, we would be exposed and he would be history.

It is not too late, look at what USSF did on the womens side with the Olympics coming up.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean after the 2010 World Cup? Bradley and the US will qualify and the US will have a solid showing. I don't see them winning it, but I don't see a terrible first round either. Depending on how much the players grow over the next two years I can see a second round win even. A lot depends on the draw. Bob Bradley is not going to be the downfall of the US National Team, but he isn't going to lead it to the World Cup final either.

Who knows what coaches will be available in the next cycle. I don't see the US being a real contender for at least another decade so the question becomes who do we want to come in and help grow the team. Guus Hiddink has proven a skilled coach for several nations and could teach a lot of the guys a thing or two. However, he's getting older and who knows if he'll sill be interested by then. Obviously there are a lot of younger coaches transitioning to top tier league managers, so who knows if some of these guys might be standouts two years from now that a new head of the USSF could bring in.

15. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    FIRST THE SWITZERLAND AND SOUTH AFRICA WINS WERE AGAINST AWFUL TEAMS YES SWITZERLAND IS PRETTY BAD AND SOUTH AFRICA SUCKS. WHAT SWEDEN B TEAM THE GAME LAST MONTH WAS AGAINST SWEDEN F TEAM MORE LIKE IT. ECUADOR ARE NEAR THE BOTTON IN SOUTH AMERICA WORLD CUP QUALIFING. BRADLEY MUST GO

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that Swiss team was missing a lot of guys too... but I won't down that result... ugly game, but it was a good win...

17. DestroyerDaMarc

Dec 8, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you Caps lock button is on, check the light.

Why is it I feel we have 12 to 13 year olds who are dillusional about the USNT, people if you want to support a dillusional nation, England needs you. No, Bradley must not go. We've played up against European sides, are not fearful of travelling the globe to get a game in, and now are bringing up our respect by playing the "A" squads of some of the most soccer intense nations.

No, we need a guy like this that will be the arrowhead in the right direction. He won't take us over the hill but he'll get us to the base.

18. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    All these guys have been in a camp that emphasizes fitness for a month, and already had a international warm-up prior to the Mexico match. You think MLS is better preparation than a U.S. camp?

Friendlies are not about results, they're about the quality on display during the match. The U.S. were a disjointed, hodge-podge group out there, as they have been for most of his tenure.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, playing competitive games for three or four weeks straight is superior to a four week camp with one competitive game immediately following a two month offseason.

20. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Wading through this thread it has hit me that as USMNT supporters our aspirations and expectations for the our countries senior team our higher than the tactical skills our players currently have. This is not to say that we are not producing good players - we are - and better every year as the seriousness of the sport continues to boom.

BUT....The time for the US to produce a top 10 side that can compete with anyone IS NOT NOW. And as supporters, regardless how much we discuss and argue about it - we can't will it to be so.

Are we really at a point when we can be discussing style over results? The answer is YES.

Right now the US needs to get the blessed ball forward through the midfield into the attack more effectively. Bradley's formations, line ups and strategy will not take the USMNT to the next level for he is naive tactically. Have you noticed that the US works its collective butt to get the ball but once we have it - we don't look like we know exactly what to do with it. With Bob's plan...it's almost like the US keeps possession just to keep possession and only score on the counter.

Can Bob get us marginal results - YES
    Can Bob deliver what the supporters want in their national team - NO

21. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    If we're talking a one to one ratio in terms of skilled teammates and competition, then I'm with you. But that is not the case. MLS competition does not equate to international competition. We had many of the best players in MLS competing in that camp, and there was ample time to work out the kinks over a month of training with a competitive international match (which is certainly worth more than an MLS match).

And just to illustrate, how many times have we heard of MLS coaches praising their players returning from national team camp as being a step faster of thought and mind than their MLS counterparts?

22. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with Chicago1871, it's not going to be until after WC2010 that the USMNT coach gets replaced. At that point, I'd like the USSF to consider Guus Riddink, Leo Beenhakker, somebody like that.

23. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I'd like to add that we also were outplayed by South Africa for long portions of the game.

24. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. For me, the fact that the MLS players had played one or two competitive matchs in the last four months while their MFL counterparts had been playing a match a week for the last month or so was an advantage for the Mexicans.

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. It may have looked that way to you as the USMNT protected a 1-0 lead without too much in the way of a threat being generated by South Africa.