Who WOULD we want ......Argentina or Germany ?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by forza_azzurri, Jun 29, 2006.

?

Who do we want in the SEMIS ?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2006.
  1. Argentina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Germany

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Still can't decide who to root for on this one. Argentina is more skilled and would give Italy a fight but Germany is the home team and we all know that a German/Brazil final is what FIFA wants.

2. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Argentina is also an emotional, latin team, like us, who is bound to get frustrated, or in any case caught up in its own emotions if something goes wrong, so I fancy our chances against them. Germany is a machine and will be riding a tremendous high after a win over Argentina, plus they're playing at home, plus FIFA wants them in the final etc. etc....so I vote Argentina.

Besides, I want revenge for 1990. :D

3. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't want to jinx the game on friday, but if we go further I would hope for Germany. They are both tricky teams and on their day can beat Italia, but I think we are better equipped to deal with Germany then Argentina. Their offense is more "predictable" whilst the Argentinains could dazzle us with a flash of genius. So my pick would be ze germans

4. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Tough to say, I'm inclined to agree with the above poster. I think Germany would be the easier team to beat, plus I don't think the German defense is all that strong. On the other hand Germany is playing at home, and have a lot of momentum.

5. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    bring on Brazil :cool:

6. Distortion

Distortion Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Queens. NY
    Let's get passed Ukraine first.

7. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    people don't assume italy will beat the ukraine.

8. Frankfromtoronto

Frankfromtoronto New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    T.O
    im confident Italy will beat Ukraine.. Toni and Totti will score while Ukraine will try to bring the game to PK's.

9. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Then this thread would be obsolete since we play after the ARG/GER game.

If we can't beat Ukraine at this stage then it would be worse than not making it out of the group as people will really see the Aus game was a fluke.

We need to show the world that we belong here :eek:

10. Gladius

Gladius Member

Jun 27, 2006
    New York
    If it wasn't for the fact that this world cup was being held in Germany, I would say that I'd rather play the Germans in the semifinal because we have a much better record agaisnt them than Argentina.

11. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    IF we get passed Ukraine I personally would rather play Argentina. I think people gave Argentina waaaaaay too much credit after their thrashing of Serbia in the group stage. Don't get me wrong, they are a strong team, but I think from what we saw in their match against MExico they are far from perfect. They were outplayed by a weaker (on paper) MExican side that deserved to win that game. I also think that the Argentinians play a style that Italy can anticipate and control much better.

The Germans have been one of the best teams in the tournament thus far and have shown that they are a relentless, highly motivated squad, particularly on attack. Combine that with the fact that they are the host team then I'd say their chances are very strong one they get into the semi finals. Don't know about you guys, but I don't wanna have to go through a highly inspired German team that has 50,000,-60,000 supporters in the stadium cheering them on.

My pick is with Argentina.

12. greenoak

greenoak New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    I prefer great football, artistry vs athleticism. The beauty of football is the artistic attack. It is hard to nominate a great match for defense. The beauty of football is the artistic attack. That automatically means that I would rather prefer Argentina.

Will it happen ? With so much bias of the referees the Germans will be the
    favourite. It is hard to imagine a referee dictating a penalty against the German team in Germany. He might risk too much. That is, most severe German tackles and faults in the box will go unpunished.

The Germans attack will probably insist on long range shots. In the box, it is hard for them to dribble the ultraskilled Argentinians. Headers will be also a favoured of the Germans; they are taller and more athletic.

Who will have the flashes of genius ? Most likely Argentina.

I will pay much attention to the declaration of an Argentinian player: we will have to fight to death. And to death they will fight.

13. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Germany has never beaten Italy in a World Cup tournament game so I prefer that Italy plays them even though they are the home team. Believe me they are not as good as they look. They have not played anyone and this is going to hurt them tomorrow against a battle tested Argentinian team. Have they improved that much since that 4-1 debacle in March. I dont think so.

14. legdonor

legdonor Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Firenze
    agreed.