Who will win this group?

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Christina99, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Wich teams will go through?

1. Argentina

53 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Croatia

39 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Iceland

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Nigeria

24 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very interesting group. No weak teams here. Some could argue it might be the group of death.

Argentina is the favourite, but this seems to be a group in where anything can happen. Nigeria is always tough, Croatia has a group of very good players and Iceland, well, I admit i dont know much about Iceland since this is their first WC, but i read they are an organized team, not easy to beat, and can be quite good.

So, wich teams will go through?

Discuss here!

Unak78 repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina will find a way to win the Group.

Second place I have no idea.

3. samatwing

samatwing Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it will be one of those wild groups where on the last day, all 4 have a chance to go through.

Ceres repped this.
  4. UnitsE3

UnitsE3 Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Group of death for sure.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  5. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    Croatia
    Argentina
    Nigeria
    Iceland

Blue_Demon repped this.
  6. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I think Croatia are due for a good World Cup. It's been 20 years since 1998. They have a good blend of experience and youth. Modric is they key. He played great in the key win against Ukraine and the Greeks. Seems as he is determined to make a good result as he knows this is his last chance. They young talent who needs to step up is Kovacic. He needs to play like he did against Barcalona in the Super cup. Shut down Messi and was great in attack as well. Hopefully Dario Simic can become the new president of the federation. This will go a long way to bring back a lot of the fan support for the country. I remember in 1998 Croatia barely qualified as well by beating Ukraine but then turned it on once they reached France. I think the vets like Mandzukic Modric and Rakitic know this is there last chance to shine just like Suker Boban and Prosinecki did as well.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was hoping Croatia and Iceland wouldn't be drawn in the same group, as since Gli Azzurri isn't here, I was going to cheer for both of them. Here is my honest opinion though:

First of all this is definitely group of death because none of these teams are easy to beat.

I think it will turn out like this:

1. Croatia
    2. Argentina
    3. Iceland
    4. Nigeria

Argentina has really been underperforming lately and saved themselves at death to even be here. Sampaoli has been very stubborn by leaving Higuain and Aguero out entirely and benching Dybala. If he continues this stupidity than who knows what will happen. Messi is an amazing player but he can only do so much. Its not like he is this unstoppable player like a god or anything. Anyway Argentina so far are not a team; they are a bunch of individuals.

Croatia I always thought of being a huge contender. I will be adventurous and tip them to win the whole thing. This is their best chance to do it. Modric, Rakitic, and Mandzukic are all world class and work so hard. Perisic, Vida, Corluka, and Badelj are also great players. Vrsaljko and Pjaca have very promising talent. Even better if Srna could possibly come back and captain this team again. In 2014 I believe they were also a much better team and were heavily robbed against Brazil. I bet they would have won the game with proper officiating. That ref was so atrocious. They are even better now. Croatia also arguably has one of the best coaches of all the national teams. Germany's is also very good, but most of the other national teams are not really managed the best. I feel like as long as this time can be consistent and give their all, they are serious World Cup contenders. Now they are in Europe and will have a lot of fans there. Oh and let's hope that no flares are thrown on to the pitch.

Iceland I so wish had an easier group. I believe they would advance in any of these groups other than Group B. Tough luck. I am hoping they could maybe somehow knock Argentina out and make it through, but I doubt it. Argentina will find a way to advance, but maybe won't win it this time.

Nigeria have a few good players, but overall I don't expect much from them. I think many people are overrating them. Might be the best team in Africa, but African football has been declining in the last few years. 2017 African Cup was the most atrocious football I have ever seen literally. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a point somewhere, but I think Croatia and Argentina are a step too far from them, and Iceland is likely superior as well.

8. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    I know Buffon will be supporting Croatia. Still can't believe Italy won't be there. That coach for the Italians really messed up big time in Milan. He played way to conservative. If Italy had Conte they would have gone through for sure.

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I so agree with you. Not only would we be here under Conte, we would be one of the contenders to win it. It is insane in a horrible way how much Ventura has ruined our team. I am so angry about what has happened, but to tell you the truth though, we don't deserve to be here after what happened. I don't think we were much better than Slovenia under Ventura, yes I am serious. We were just around their level.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He messed up way before then. He honestly started to show bad signs since his third match in charge. The way we were playing in the 1-1 draw vs Spain at the Juventus Stadium was brutal. We were playing like scary cats. The only good games we really had under this clown was the 2-0 win over Albania and the Liechtenstein games. Even the Albania games were questionable.

11. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Everything is possible in this group.
    I believe all 4 teams are in trouble.
    I said before the draw if we get a group with 2 big teams they will be in trouble as much as we are. Cause we can beat anyone.
    It happened.
    Now let's be ready for that and we will see! ^^

Modric reaction:

• lukam10Teska grupa ali biti cemo spremni i veselimo se izazovu koji nas ocekuje...
      A tough and complicated group but we will be ready and looking forward to the challenge that’s expecting us... ⚽️
      #IznadSvihHrvatska#

Ajmooooooooooooooooooooo

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  12. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A tough group yes but not group of death. Team vs Team group B is much tougher than this. This group has only one world class team as Argentina but Group B has two Spain and Portugal.

I think this group is very entertaining specially the matches between Croatia vs Argentina and Nigeria vs Argentina. The match between Croatia and Nigeria will decide the second team.

13. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Argentina and a toss up between Nigeria and Croatia.

Ridiculously fun group, by the way.

14. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Iceland better than Nigeria LOL

I've seen all manner of rubbish on this forum but that one takes the cake.

Any of Argentina, Nigeria, or Croatia can go through.

I really hope people are sleeping on us though, they will be in for a very rude awakening.

Salas033, Kamtedrejt and DeepakRio2014 repped this.
  15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    No this is the group of death and I'll tell you why.

Yes if we are simply to look at the top 2 teams, B is better.

Iceland going by recent results has to be assumed to be better than Iran.

Nigeria is quite a bit better than Morocco IMO.

Frankly Nigeria makes this the group of death because we are by far the best team in Pot 4 and I will say confidently that we are better than all Pot 3 teams and half of the Pot 2 teams.

In Croatia and Nigeria you have 2 golden generations (the second one for each side) Argentina you have a classical world power, and Iceland you have perhaps the most overachieving side in World football.

Kamtedrejt, mars078 and cromagnum repped this.
  16. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Plus, this group is a little bit more even than group B. B is clearly Spain and Portugal as the class of the group, here it's not as clear-cut. Even Iceland isn't thaaaaat far from the other three.

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nigeria is about the same level as Turkey/Ukraine. If Iceland beat them, they can beat Nigeria.

18. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina history in the last 10 world cups:

1978: Champions

1982: 2nd round

1986: Champions

1990: Runner up (subchampions)

1994: Round of 16

1998: Quarter finals

2002: out first round

2006: Quarter finals

2010: Quarter finals

2014: Runner up (subchampions)

Argentina participation in international stage in past 5 years:
    WORLD CUP 2014: got to the final
    COPA AMERICA 2015: got to the final
    COPA CENTENARIO 2016: got to the final

Edwardinho and Nico777 repped this.
  19. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Croatia: started to play fifa qualifiers only from 94 and missed only 1 world cup in the last 20 years with a 4 million people country after a civil war.
    Already reached semi-finals in the world cup.

Can't wait :D

We should be impressed? :D

20. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, a little bit, yeah. No other team on this group is nowhere near the historical (and recent) succes of Argentina. But even with that I agree this group is hard and Argentina might lose against any of the other 3 teams.

Nico777 repped this.
  21. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry but I disagree with you. I think you overestimate the power of both Nigeria and Iceland and it is natural because you are Nigerian. I see Argentina as the sole giant of the group although they show some signs which bothers me they may get in trouble specially vs Croatia.

I don't see Iceland as any significant force. I rated them lower than both Iran and Morocco.. Morocco have a very solid team, they didn't concede a single goal in world cup qualifiers and have some great players in defense and up front. They eliminated Ivory Coast which talks volume about their power. I see them in equal ground or even better compared to Nigeria. Nigeria can compete with big football giants on their good day and can also dwarf to the size of their weaker opponents. I have to see a consistency in Nigeria before I pass my final judgement but so far not that promising as Nigerian fans love to talk about.

At this moment I think Argentina and Croatia are the favorite but not so easy.

In brief, Group be is still a level above this group.
    Spain=Argentina
    Portugal>=Croatia
    Iran>Iceland
    Morocco=Nigeria

22. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Would not mind playing Portugal again...they are not as much ahead of us as people think they have been lucky in our round 16 at euros. We can trouble them....

Anyway first we have to deal with this group.

Then being group of death or not group of death why the ******** is it that important for you lol?

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nigeria has some very good young attacking players. And their style of game is like nothing Croatia or Iceland have seen this cycle or arguably in any cycle. That is why I think they will compete for second.

Conversely, I know Nigerians and other African fans don't want to hear this but it all comes down to their back line and keeper and if they can limit naive mistakes to put them in bad positions. The teams in this group will make you pay if those mistakes happen.

Very even group and I will wait to see how things shape up as the weeks go by.

Kamtedrejt and TheHitman47 repped this.
  24. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I think that nowadays the opponents care less about the weight of history in their opponent than before...

Italia and 4 world cups netherlands and their history didn't scare Sweden.

Kamtedrejt, +PL+ and Christina99 repped this.
  25. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Our young players are fast too and dynamic....Kovacic was Messi's nightmare with Real Madrid in supercopa in the 2 games in August. He didn't let him breathe...

On the wings with Perisic Rebic Pjaca and Vlasic we got speed too....

Anyway we will be talking for nothing till it starts.