Who will win Copa Libertadores

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by posteador, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who is going to win Copa Libertadores?

1. Fluminense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sao Paulo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Liga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. San Lorenzo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Boca

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Atlas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Santos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Final Eight: Who will win Copa Libertadores

I refuse to vote in this poll :( All I will say is Adriano is going to terrorize Flu :)

2. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Winning 3-0 in the Maracana, thousands of miles away from home, and overturning a 4-2 deficit in the process, takes some nerve - and if América can show the same kind of effort from now on, they might have a chance of bettering both Pachuca's Sulamericana win and Cruz Azul's second-place Libertadores finish, and winning the Copa in 2008.

Maybe.

But then, I'm an Irishman stuck on the other side of the world, and one who admittedly is less familiar with the intricacies of club football south of the Canal, so I wouldn't advise paying too much heed to my opinion on this...

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Here is the best argument for and against each team:

America:
    Why they will win: If they pulled the Maracanazo, they can do anything. They can score, and if their goalie gets hot it's hard to score against them.
    Why they won't win: Their defense sucks, and they're a Mexican team.

Atlas:
    Why they will win: They finished first in the toughest group and Brindisi has them playing great ball.
    Why they won't win: See America. Mexican teams don't win Libertadores.

Boca:
    Why they will win: They are Boca. Need I say more?
    Why they won't win: Can't have the same team win it every year, can you?

Fluminense:
    Why they will win: They loaded up for this tournament, they have great goalscorers, and they are really focused on winning it.
    Why they won't win: Fluminense is cursed when it comes to CL. They'll flame out.

Liga:
    Why they will win: They are a solid, scrappy team and the altitude makes them formidable at home.
    Why they won't win: A team from Ecuador? I don't think so.

San Lorenzo:
    Why they will win: It's their centennial and they really think it's their destiny to win it.
    Why they won't win: CASL stands for Club Atletico Sin Libertadores.

Santos:
    Why they will win: I can't think of any reason, other than maybe Kleber.
    Why they won't win: Pele retired a long time ago.

Sao Paulo:
    Why they will win: The best defense and a solid all around team, they should be the favorites.
    Why they won't win: Can't think of a reason, but they'll lose to Boca in the final.

4. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Would it not have been the case that people thought that 'Mexican teams don't win Sulamericana' up until Pachuca went and won the thing in 2006?

No reason to say that a team from Mexico won't win one eventually - or even this year.

5. Piedraias

Piedraias Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    Califas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Mexican teams don't win libertadores because of institutional resistance from southamericans. Cheating of all sorts from bad calls to last minute rule changes.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

True, it could happen. But you could say the same about a team from Ecuador, or about any team that hasn't won it, like San Lorenzo or Fluminense.

I'm just giving the odds, and in case you didn't notice it's sort of tongue in cheek.

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

If this is true, how much of this impeded Cruz Azul on their run to the finals in 2001?

(And even then, Azul lost on penalties, having overturned a deficit they suffered in the home leg against Boca.)

I get it...

But are the bigger clubs from Mexico, like América, Atlas and Chivas, not seen as worthy rivals to the bigger South American clubs?

One would have thought that the Mexican league was perhaps in a more powerful position than the Ecuadorian one...

...unless you are going with more tongue-in-cheek humour with me.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

They are worthy rivals. I always said I welcome the Mexican competition in Libertadores.

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Re: COPA LIB, after the grp stage - R & comments

not in 2008!

do you remember last time he was out for injury problems?

10. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Re: COPA LIB, after the grp stage - R & comments

Are they still using the rule that if 2 teams from the same country get to the semifinals they'll play each other??

11. BRAZIL#1

BRAZIL#1 New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    FL

yes

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

So I guess Boca will get San Lorenzo.

No Problem.

13. Michelin

Michelin Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Paris (for now)
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Atlas is a bigger club? there are 4 big mexican clubs: Chivas America Cruz Azul and Pumas. Toluca and pachuca are powerful clubs that make up what they lack in fame and fans with results. Monterrey and Tigres have lots of money, and still are mediocre performers. any other club is really a medium to small club...
    in my experience mexicans are seen as worthy (if not always wanted by some fans) adversaries, all of this "institutional conspiracy" is bullshit, a championship team will win against whatever adversary, even if he wears a suit in asuncion or a whistle on the pitch. and thats not to say im at all convinced of a supposed plan to screw mexico over. mexicans dont win copa lib only because they havent yet. i think (maybe i just hope?) most people would agree its only a matter of time.

but not this year.

Atlas is a well oiled machine, and brindisi is a good tactitian and motivator, but how about they set their eyes on winning a national title that most of the fans can remember first? then dream big. they were just eliminated from the clausura by necaxa, so on one side copa lib is all they have to play for, but on the other, if they cant win mexico, i doubt they can win copa lib.

America is far too....************, this yr anyways. they were dead last in clausura, and there was never even a fight really to not come in last, america really owned the basement of the standings this semester. the upset at brasil was an unbelieveable miracle. you only get one miracle per tournament (new rule). but in all seriousness, you cant win a title by having 9 players run around in circles while ochoa and cabañas do their thing.

my pick is san lorenzo. honestly beliving you are destined to win it goes a big way, as ASF said.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yeah, San Lorenzo said they were going after it, and they put their money where their mouth is, making some big adquisitions, like Placente and D'alessandro. They are the only so called 'big' club from Buenos Aires that has not won it, and they really want to win it on the year of their centenial. As River found out, they'll be tough to eliminate.

15. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

I'd like San Lorenzo to win as well...or another underdog like LDU...

16. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

They = Marcelo Tinelli

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Yes but in the end that's irrelevant. Since the Mexican clubs started participating there has been a winner from Colombia and a winner from Paraguay. Those leagues aren't better than the Mexican one yet clubs from them still won it while no Mexican team has.

18. el chuntaro

el chuntaro New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Neverland Ranch

for a Irish man,you know your South American/Mexican futbol pretty good,I am impressed.
    This rule is dumb and I think it takes away the "prestige"of the tournament.Let the best teams play the final dammit rather than having teams switch brackets.:mad:

I think alot has to do with Mexican teams not "respecting this tournament"when Mexican teams qualify for the liguilla they tend to pay more attention to the liguilla then Libertadores and Sudamerica....which is dumb IMO. Libertadores>Liguilla>SudAmerica

19. el chuntaro

el chuntaro New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Neverland Ranch

U are one Cocky Argento....I hope you know if Boca does not beat Atlas, expect Mexicans making fun of you in BS for years to come.:cool:

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Atlas? LOL! I would think they should try to win a few international titles before they can make fun of a club like Boca.

But I like Brindisi, he was a great player who left the fans great memories at Boca, playing alongside Diego Maradona. One of the best 1-2 punches in the history of futbol.

If Boca doesn't win it, I wouldn't mind seeing his team get it.

21. Paul_NL

Paul_NL Red Card

May 18, 2006

Boca wont because they can´t play in Bombonera

I put my money on SP

22. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

Hey is the rule changed about refuerzos or no more?

23. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I heard Club America wanted to pick up Paraguayan Veron from Pumas

24. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América

That's old news, Pumas already said that if they want him they have to buy him.

25. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

From the last couple of Libertadores tourneys, don't you guys feel like these teams representing Mexico are probably the least equipped to actually win the title? America is coming from the worst situation in their history, and Atlas is showing a lot of balls, but they have a whole bunch of young guys that do not have any experience playing in tournaments like this one. I can't remember a situation like this. Over the years I had the feeling that at least one team had a legitimate shot at the title. Hopefully, I'm completely wrong and Atlas wins it all.