Who will stop Liverpool in the EPL 2002-03?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by astar24, Jul 17, 2002.

1. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Liverpool have a reasonable team now, the strongest for many years but I can't help feeling that if Hypia or Henchoz were to break a leg they'd be fighting Leeds and Chelsea for a place in the UEFA cup. I also agree with many that their new signings will struggle to make an impact in the first half of the season.

2. wjschaefer

wjschaefer New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    California
    I think Liverpool will stop Liverpool...

It will be between Arsenal and Man U and the winner will be the healthier team throughout the season.

3. markdickson

markdickson New Member

May 7, 2001
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Latest odds from Ladbrokes on the Premiership:

Manchester United 5/4 Fav.
    Arsenal 7/4
    Liverpool 3/1
    Leeds United 14/1
    Chelsea 18/1
    Newcastle United 28/1
    Manchester City 100/1
    West Bromwich Albion 1000/1 :)

For the drop:

West Bromwich Albion 1/2 Fav.
    Birmingham City 4/5
    Bolton Wanderers 5/4
    Charlton Athletic 3/1
    Southampton 2/1
    Sunderland 2/1
    Everton 11/4
    Manchester City 5/1

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy Money.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Care to explain what you mean here?

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he means that Liverpool will screw it up again this year, and they will end up winning phuck-all.

7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I'm not joining the Rio hype. It has gone too far. The fee paid for him is ridiculous even in today's mad footballing world. (£35 mill if my source is correct). We are talking about a central defender for God's sake! It's not like he is gonna win matches for you alone like an attacking player can.

Rio goes with the money obviously. Leeds has almost an equally good team, although younger and more promosing, and he leaves them for Man U "Because I wanna play in the CL". Golddigger!

United will concede their usual +45 goals in the league regardless of who is signed. Their attacking style hurts their defensive game. Rio won't change that. He will only be one of four back there. Not a miracle man.

8. wjschaefer

wjschaefer New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    California
    exactly

9. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Duff and Bowyer would be meaningful additions to any team, anywhere. Add to that Diouf, if he keeps form, and Houllier will have a lot of options. I wouldn't say they're the team to beat, but it'll make Liverpool, Arsenal, and ManU even (each with their varying strengths and weaknesses). I'm the opinion that it's injury that decides a season, if a team remains in all competitions for a long time.

10. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    What are Blackburn's odds for championship and relegation. Not that neither will happen. Top 8 would be good.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    BLACKBURN..! It’s always about you isn’t it..?
    Were here to glorify the best of the best.
    We’re here to talk about Liverpool the next league champions.

12. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Ruud van Nistelrooy New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Ok, admittedly i didn't believe you would be saying that, i only read through everything very quickly and basically what i was picking up was you saying Man Utd have loads of money in a way that suggests thats the only reason they are good, and i couldn't understand what you were trying to say in the last paragraph either.

13. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It's simple "READ then POST"..... ;)

Most Manure fans are only following the team because they’ve been winning, not because they really understand the game. Why would they even trouble themselves to read posts before they make ‘informed’ comments about them.
    A real fan of their team and of the game of football looks to his own teams strengths and weaknesses and tries to see how it matches up to the opponents.
    Whereas the manure fan says “My team Good…Your team suck..!” :)

14. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why has this thread focused on a fight between Man U and Liverpool for the championship? Has everyone forgot that Arsenal are the defending champions? That we've just won the double?

There were a few comments about Tony Adams retiring. It is a blow, but he only played 10 league games last season. So even then we didn't rely on him at the back. Luzhny started more league games than he did! Cygan was bought as a replacement, but I would lay money that Keown and Campbell will be the first choice centre backs at the start of next season. Seasoned campaigners who know how to play in this league.

Also slagging Seaman off is a bit silly. I thought he was finished a couple of seasons ago, but last year he played really well and no-one has realistically challenged him in the England goal for ages. People forget the save he made in Munich at 1-0 down against Germany. 2-0 and it was all over. Similarly against Sweden in Japorea he mad a couple of great saves or the team wouldn't have even had the chance to play crap against Brazil. All keepers make mistakes. The great ones make so few that when they do, they are highlighted more than most.

The midfield is looking a bit bare at the start of the season due to the injuries to Pires, Ljungberg and van Bronckhorst. But with our reasonable start to the programme, I think a midfield of Vieira, Parlour, Edu and Wiltord will keep us in the hunt until the first choices recover. Hopefully we'll be able to add van Bommel too, but even if we don't I still fancy our midfield to give as good as they get. With Pires and Ljungberg back, other teams had better watch out.

We have the golden boot winner from last year in Thierry Henry and watching Bergkamp in full flow is an absolute joy. Last season was his best for a few and if he has anywhere near as good a campaign this time around, we'll be there or thereabouts. we have good backup strikers in Kanu (although he had a shocker last term) and Jeffers so goals shouldn't be a problem.

So to sum up, tight at the back, solid in midfield and top class attackers up front. Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

15. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Ruud van Nistelrooy New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    I think you'll find those dickheads who blindly hate man utd because of our recent success are exactly the same. Because after all, Liverpool are better than Man Utd, obviously *yawns*

Liverpool and the Arse have just as many glory supporters as anyone else, its just people forget this because man utd win so much all the hate focuses on them.

16. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only thing to stop Liverpool will be Arsenal or Man U, Newcastle maybe.

Chelsea and Leeds have no chance.

I expect it will be as close as last year and injuries will be a telling factor. I do think the Liverpool squad will be a lot deeper this year and with man U probably strengthening their defenders it should be even closer. Arsenal still have everyone from the double winning team so obviously can't be counted out. It will be one of those three.

Of course I am rooting for Liverpool.

17. kiwiguy

kiwiguy New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    New Zealand
    I'd like to say that we (Fulham) will be a serious challenge. But we are probably a couple of years away still. Although a top 6 would be a reasonable expectation.
    I agree with those people who question the Arsenal defence. I'm a firm believer that the best defence is offence. As Brazil showed during the World Cup.
    So here's my top 6:

1. Man Utd
    2. Liverpool
    3. Leeds
    4. Arsenal
    5. Newcastle
    6. Fulham!!!!!!!!!!

18. wjschaefer

wjschaefer New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    California
    Actually...

1. Arsenal
    2. Man Utd
    3. Liverpool
    4. Newcastle
    5. Leeds
    13. Fulham

19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close:

1. Manchester United
    2. Arsenal
    3. Liverpool
    4. Newcastle
    5. Leeds
    6. Blackburn

20. scouseratheart

scouseratheart New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    USA
    Not quite there yet...

1. Liverpool
    2. Arsenal
    3. ManUre
    4. Chelsea
    5. Newcastle

21. wjschaefer

wjschaefer New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    California
    I agree - you haven't got it yet:

NUMBER 1 will be Arsenal followed by the rest...

22. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    1/ Arsenal
    2/ Manchester Utd
    3/ Newcastle Utd
    4/ Liverpool
    9/ Leeds
    20/ Sunderland

23. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Liverpool, as they are the team the thread started with, are a serious contender in that they already had the best defense in the league, Owen and they have made several good off season manuevers. The problem lies in the Liverpool offensive concept. Any team can keep another scoreless if they put 10 behind the ball. The trick has been to keep Owen from beating you when he receives that 30 yard pass into space behind the oppositions defense. By the end of the year, 2001-2002, most teams were making the necessary changes and getting draws.

I believe that Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the country but if you play him in the back he just blends in with the rest. Maybe Houlliers fulltime return will spell more midfield runs and multiple player counters instead of the same "boring" tactics Liverpool ran last year.

24. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Don't you think the Frenchies will be out to prove a pt next season? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorn.

25. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Manchester United even moreso.