Who will stop Liverpool in the EPL 2002-03?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by astar24, Jul 17, 2002.

1. astar24

astar24 New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    I think Liverpool will win the Premiership title for 2003 with the new edition of 'serial killer' El Hadji Diouf, Michael Owen & Emile Heskey who will stop them that is a mighty strong offensive trio.

2. dhawk1219

dhawk1219 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I agree that they look tough on paper but watch out for Arsenal!!

3. scouseratheart

scouseratheart New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    USA
    Arsenal will be our biggest threat...but ManUre may be trouble if they can fix that sieve they call a defense...

4. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unfortunately i see manure dominating this season. remember what happened after their last disappointing season....the friggin treble.

5. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    I can't see the Arse doing it. In fact, I think they'll be this years disappointment domestically, though I have a feeling they may do better in Europe. Wenger is worried, and rightly so -- I think -- that the World Cup finals will have a damaging effect on the pysche of the French players. They haven't got a goalkeeper (though they may sign one soon) as Seaman, whatever you think of him, is probably no longer a full season, Championship player and Wenger by his own admission has pretty much given up on Richard Wright. With Tony Adams gone, there are questions in the centre of defense of leadership departments, too. Cygan may be the man, but he still has to prove it. As for the next captain, however good he is, he won't be Tony Adams. I think this is probably a transitional year for the Arse.

Frankly, if Man Ure do sort out one or two positions, I think it's theirs for the taking. I am still not completely convinced by Liverpool as Championship material, though they are a very good team.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That was then, this is now..! Not even with Rio.

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds Leeds Leeds

8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I could careless about Heskey. And you have to think that the jury is still out on Djouf. Signing Duff would make me worry about Liverpool taking it.

Arsenal are again chasing Rustu (sp?) since Fenerbahce aren't going to keep him. Getting Van Bommel is what Arsenal need. With Pennant looking to break into the squad, Parlour may be expendable, giving Arsenal more money to spend. Will anybody take Kanu? He definitly is expendable with Jeffers, Aliardiere, Bergkamp, and Wiltord all being possible partners for Henry.

9. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    I too have picked Liverpool to win it this year. Man Utd. will put up a stern test. They are still absolutely loaded and should they add a defender before the start of the season it will make a huge difference. If Newcastle just had some more depth they could make a real run at it. I just think they'll peter out with the CL to play in as well. Arsenal? I just have a feeling it won't be their year. They certainly, however, are way more than capable.

10. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    ARSENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Manchester United buy 2 defenders, they won't lose six home games and will win the title.

12. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So true. I think we need a mod to change the thread title to "Who will stop Leeds." :D

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Splargie's been drinking again ;)

14. dhawk1219

dhawk1219 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting thoughts. Who else would be a candidate in goal. If they can't get Rustu, who else might they go after? What are the thoughts in England regarding Kasey Keller?

15. pedro111

pedro111 New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    I think the general concensus is that he is a decent keeper nothing more, nothing less.
    A mid table keeper if you will.

I thought he was pretty good a Leicester and maybe he could be a back up keeper for one of the top teams.

16. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    NEWS JUST IN:

1. Peter Ridsdale has said that Rio Ferdinand can go to Man Utd for £35m and a nice shrubbery.

2. Robert Pires to start season. "My knee injury was only a flesh wound" said the French international.

17. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Leeds will win the league!
    Bring out you dead!
    Leeds will win the league!
    Bring out your dead!

18. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Newcastle will be dangerous.

No worries about Man United. They haven't even DRAWN with Liverpool in 5 games... all wins for the Scousers. Arsenal will be there, and Leeds? Only if Fowler has an amazing year.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The way the rats are jumping ship and the rest going on the block. Robbie will have to have an amazing year..he'll only have the groundsman for support..!
    Newcastle...Nah..!

Hey 1950 is that you..? Where the hell have you been..sleep deprevation..?

20. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHELSEA!!!!!

21. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He he he .... it had to happen.

If Chelsea win the league I will come back here and publicly commit to do something involving hats and eating. I'll even fly over to whereever you are and do it for you as a special, end-of-season performance.

Manchester United will enter this season as favourites for the title. They were favourites BEFORE the Rio thing.

Rio Ferdinand could have a massive impact - I have nothing but total, absolute admiration for his skills as a defender, ever since I saw him for West Ham against Leicester four years ago. I saw him again at Anfield when Leeds beat us 2-1 a couple of years ago and he was flawless, he had Owen and Emmo in his back pocket for the entire game. He was applauded off the pitch by the entire crowd, he was that good.

Put him in that thing the Rags hilariously call a defence and all of a sudden United won't be having to score 4 goals a game to get the three points. But - and this is key - they will probably still score bags of goals anyway. That equals at least one pot per season.

They may not win the league, but this is one of those seasons where that old cliche "Whoever comes ahead of United will win the title" is entirely apt.

Liverpool can do it. We have the defence, we have the firepower. What we have so far lacked is a consistently excellent midfield unit. Individually there is much to commend in there, but collectively they have not all fired at the same time for a sufficiently lengthy period. Last season Gerrard struggled to recapture his form of the previous campaign, Spud was Spud and Smicer was, well ... crap.

The addition of Cheyrou excites me - he is the real deal and could well do the business. Distaste for the man aside, Bowyer will also be a massive shot in the arm for the midfield unit.

So, if the midfield fires throughout, then I can see us doing it. If not, it's United all the way.

22. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Ruud van Nistelrooy New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Bielefeld, Germany
    I can't help thinking all these Senegalese players will be failures in the epl, or at least they'll take a long time settling in. Just because they hit form in the WC they get snapped up immediatly and this i think is a mistake. Liverpool i think won't see a massive goalscoring increase from the introduction of diouf, talented player though he is.

If Man Utd pull their thumbs out, get Rio and possibly another defender Quality Defender then their defense won't be so ''hilarious'', keeping in mind Wes Brown, the Nevilles and Silvestre are very solid defenders. Never underestimate Man Utd, you may hate them for being miles more successful than your club, but they're only successful because ultimatly, they kick ass, its just Ferguson made a few mistakes this season.

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There's that thing again - that syndrome, that disease that causes Scuzzers to look at a lumpen, hapless no-mark and think "Hmm ... now THAT lad can defend!"

IF Manchester United replace two of their four starting defenders, and do so by purchasing arguably the most in-form defender in the world right now, alongside another "quality" player, THEN they will not be a risible shambles at the back.

Read that again. That's what you just said. In other words, you concurred that their current set-up is beyond any form of acceptable joke.

Gary Neville is the only player in that list who is even remotely worthy of note as a competent (at best) defender. His younger brother has just completed a season that saw him fail - and fail miserably - to get even a halfway regular spot in the worst United defence to have taken to the field since Dennis Law back-heeled the red half of Manchester into oblivion.

Mikael Silvestre? Please ...

Good acid test - name a Premiership club that would buy him if he were put up for sale today.

In fact, if lickul Phiwip is to be believed, we may soon actually get to see that process in action. He has announced that he will seek football elsewhere if he does not break into the first team at United on a regular basis this season.

Macclesfield Town fans beware ...

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And one more thing ... I know from other posts you've made that you're only a wee lad, so I shall forgive you the, hahem, "short" view of football's annals. But if you ever get round to delving into this sport in any more detail, you will find that my club is quite considerably more successful than the one you claim to support. By quite a margin, you'll doubtless be flabbergasted to find.