Who will have more Americans in the starting lineup by May 1?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Sachin, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Which team will feature more native-born USians in the starting lineup by May 1?

2. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Toronto FC :p

3. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea for a poll.

From a field player perspective, I honestly think Fulham.

4. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    south americans are americans.

5. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but not
    which is the true point of this discussion.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC will because once they figure out all thier signings suck they will have to play the draftees and bench fodder.

7. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    Fulham only fielded 1 yesterday...

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta go with DC Utd. Fulham have what? 5 of us? DC is chock full of South Americans, but they've still got more Estados Unidenses in the roster than Fulham ... right?

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the Who gives a Rat's Ass option? ;)
    I think United will have more wins :D

11. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Who would have more if Fulham was in MLS?

12. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DC United will have 5 US Citizens in the starting lineup by May 1st. Wells, Namoff, Burch, Olsen, and Simms.

Since Kasey Keller is not going to displace Anti Niemi as the starting keeper this year, Fulham FC will not have more than 4 US Citizens in the starting lineup. And that's the best case scenario. Dempsey and McBride are the only two locks in my opinion. Boca appears to be headed for the bench. He didn't start at Bolton on Tuesday. And Hangeland was hand picked by the new Manager to anchor the center of defense. Johnson is a huge question mark.

13. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Did EJ play?

14. armani

armani Member

Dec 18, 2007
    thats an easy one.
    CHIVAS USA no doubt!!!:D

15. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just Dempsey. EJ had to return to the States to finish the paperwork for his move. He arrives back tomorrow.

16. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    I care. DC fans love telling the rest of us why their players should play for our USMNT. Sheesh, I have heard DC fans tells us time after time why Brian Carroll and Josh Gros should be picked.

Bruce Arena made a comment a few years back about how Dallas did not have any Americans. I guess the same can be said for the most Un-North American team.

I thought MLS was supposed to help develop talent for our mens team? I realize that was not their primary mission but geez just look at DC.

17. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Look.
    Last time I checked DC United's motto was, "To win championships and serve the community." Not, "To develop the American players so they can go to Europe."

It is not, nor has it ever been DC's responsibility to develop players for the US National team. We are not Toronto FC nor Chivas Guadalajara.

Know what I rate above having US National team players or US nationals on the starting XI?

Winning the CONCACAF Champions Cup
    Winning the CONCACAF Champions League
    Winning the Supporters Shield
    Winning the MLS Cup
    Winning SuperLiga

In about that order.

In a league which does not stop for FIFA dates and whose salary cap is so low that even marginal Americans are getting better deals on the 2nd and 3rd tier of European football, I am perfectly alright having a team made up of foreign players which most likely won't be called up to play for their national team.

I couldn't care less if the entire Starting XI looked like the flag of CONMEBOL.

While everyone else is worrying about how many native born US players play for DC United, United will hopefully be winning everything in sight.

DC United should worry only about winning and building its international brand. Not developing the next Landycakes.

18. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's not TFC's or CD Guadalajara's responsibility to develop players for the US National team either.

19. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Think Canada and Mexico, 'k?

20. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    isn't fulham at 6?

gam, keller, boca, mcbride, dempsey and the norwegian dude?

21. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    yeah, but they don't all start every game. DCU will start between 4 and 6 Americans when everyone is healthy. Olsen, Namoff, and Simms are locks with Burch being pretty close to one, while Wells and McTavish will have to fight for their spots. McTavish could displace Burch at left back potentially, that still leaves a minimum of 4 Americans.

A lot of fans on the DC forums seem to be trying to invent formations to get all these new guys on the field together, but the reality is that at least one (and possibly two) of DC's high-profile foreign contingent (high-profile meaning not guys like DeRoux, Dyachenko, and Kpene) will most likely be coming off the bench. If I had to guess which one, I'd go with Niell, but he may show enough to force Moreno into a substitute role.

22. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    One of the 5 primary purposes of the league since inception was to develop the american players. MLS had this on their website until about a year ago, but have taken it off. I used to quote it everytime someone said something uninformed and then the conversation took a different path because it was right there in black and white.

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Where have DC fans not named Jade said that? Seriously, let me know so I can trade them to San Jose for Mike Segroves' head in a bucket.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think you'd like to do that anyway. :)

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm really hoping Sgt. Schultz knows something and comes through for me. That bucket could prove useful :)