Who will be there next year for the Olympics? 18 Field 2 Keeper

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mainer5, Jul 6, 2015.

1. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lowering the standard makes sense, especially if FIFA is the one who dictates the roster size. I was under the assumption that the IOC was dictating the roster size. I'd be curious to know for certain.

As for the cost-saving measures, I cannot see why that would be an issue with the federations. The federations already send 5 more players to the WWC vs the Olympics. Why would the federations balk at sending, say, 2 more players to the Olympics? Historically, the countries that qualify for the Olympics usually have federations which strongly support their women's teams.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #677 lil_one, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Not for the federations but a cost-saving measure primarily for the IOC and FIFA although the federations also save if their alternates do not travel. In case you're not aware, board, lodging, and travel are jointly-borne expenses between FIFA, the IOC, and the NOCs. Sort of related: in another thread (the Olympic general discussion thread, I think), there was also discussion about how the IOC wants to limit the total number of Olympic athletes in order to limit also the amount of required space for the Olympic Village, etc.

BostonRed repped this.
  3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    yes, the first part is obvious. the second sentence though, i'm not following. men's soccer was part of the olympics before FIFA existed and has been in all but 2 modern olympics from what i've read. how does allowing overage players allow for a women's olympic tournament starting in 1996...

4. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    It's not about amateur vs. professional. yes, there are youth restrictions in both causes, but never "too old" restrictions...

i don't think you read my post, amateur or not, there's never been another sort where they say you can't be over a certain age. and only x amount of players CAN be over a certain age.

and yes, we know why Fifa does it. i'm pointing out the absurdity of it.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The IOC only agreed to add women's soccer because FIFA agreed to allow some overage players.

8MiLLeNiuM repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    So, Fifa was pushing to get women's soccer in the olympics? I'm certain the US fed was also pushing along with other powerful, rich countries though.

what year was this decided, it must have been around 1990? When women's soccer was only taken seriously in a handful of countries, USA, Canada, Norther Europe, China...

IOC wouldn't have had an option in a couple more years as the sport continued to grow world wide.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    That's why I say, if Rampone was healthy, she'd make the squad.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I was reading an article in Stumptown Footy where they were trying to predict where the Thorns would line up. Their thought is Sonnett will play DM until Henry joins the team. If true Im not sure it helps her make the Olympic roster. If Im bringing Sonnett to Rio as my third CB Im gonna want to see her play well in that position in the NWSL. If she cant Ellis might go with a more veteran option and carry Sonnett as an alternate.

9. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For logistical reasons there is a cap on the number of overall athletes who can be at the Olympics across all sports. Smaller rosters in team sports are one way of dealing with this.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Not sure I understand this logic. Several players play different positions in club than on the Nats.

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/s...ympics-take-the-games-to-the-people.html?_r=0

"...Instead the I.O.C. plans to allow a maximum of 500 athletes from the five new sports in 2020. That will come on top of its cap for existing sports of approximately 10,500. The new sports would add 18 extra events..."

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it's based on Parson's liking to putter. He certainly had no problem playing Krieger anywhere but right back at Washington.

EbaJones repped this.
  13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

No, I meant this part:

With an 16 field player roster you want as players who can play more than one position as possible.
    Jill knows she can play the central defender spot.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Does she? I dont. While I agree playing DM helps her make a small roster I think if Ellis is serious about putting Sonnett in at a big moment in Rio, she'd like her to have had half a season of pro ball at CB under her belt.

15. 8MiLLeNiuM

8MiLLeNiuM Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #690 8MiLLeNiuM, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    This is a pretty significant experimental change. I'm surprised no one has posted it yet. Anyway, I posted it in 2 different threads, just in case I'm posting to the wrong thread.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2016/03/18/friday-roundup-fourth-sub-for-extra-time/
    FIFA on Friday approved an experimental measure to allow a fourth substitute for each team when a match extends into extra time. The new rule will apply to all FIFA tournaments beginning June 1. The affected women’s torunaments will be the Olympic Games at [I think they mean to say AND] the U-20 World Cup. The rule could become a permanent mandate from FIFA or be dropped after 2016.

The measure figures to not only help keep one fresher player on the pitch during the most grueling moments of important matches, but also to aid teams attempting to rally from behind. Teams that are trailing often use up their substitutions earlier leaving them without any tactical or fitness related substitutes in the event they are able to force extra time.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So we now have this

Namdynamo repped this.
  17. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    And this:

Namdynamo repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Which makes little sense to me. If she plays two DMs then the higher spot is the one she never takes Lloyd out of. If she inverts the triangle as she did last time then wouldnt u be better off having Long and Horan competing for that higher spot? That's where both players r the most effective.

19. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    Well, we know she likes to have goalscorers all over the field, so why not Long at #6 who scored two against Colombia. Who cares about defense?

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That was the same winning philosophy that got her a cup...of course her team hardly scored at all until the final.

Long scored one from the #6 off a set piece and one when she moved to the #8. Got to love that screamer she it off the bar tho

lunatica repped this.
  21. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I wish Long had played in the SBC. I think it would have provided a more useful impression of her match level abilities at the moment. It will take a lot more than her performance in the blowout of Colombia to revise my previous opinion of her abilities and her potential role on the USWNT.

lunatica and kernel_thai repped this.
  22. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Ellis is so dumb tactics wise.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont consider her dumb but I think she has a hard time translating theory into practice.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So I completely discount anything Ellis says just out of past practice. Here's my latest evolution on the roster

GK Solo, Naeher
    CB Sauerbrunn, Johnston, Sonnett
    OB Krieger, Klingenberg, O'Hara
    CM Lloyd, Mewis, Brian, Horan, Long
    OM Heath, Pugh
    F Morgan, Dunn, Press

Why? I think Heath playing OB has solved that problem short term and she has Dunn in an emergency so the temptation to carry four OBs has passed. She also has Dunn, Press, Klingenberg and O'Hara to support OM and Lloyd to support Forward. That leaves her with the question does she want five central midfielders or four center backs. I think she takes Long over Engen (or Sonnett if it goes that way) because Krieger gives her cover at CB

EbaJones and Namdynamo repped this.
  25. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    If Ellis was smart then Brian would be the attacking midfielder. Offense would run through her. Dunn and Press would be used more often. That doesn't seem to be the case.