Who will be our captain next year?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Soccerholic, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    If Keano moves on, as he says he will, who will be our captain next year?

I don't see any great candidates. Part of the problem is that Keane is a great captain, one of the best leaders you will ever find. With him taking such a stong leadership role, none of the other players have shown the type of leadership that you expect from a captain. And this is why, over the years, United often haven't played as well without him on the pitch.

Scholes, Giggs and Neville have the most seniority but they are probably here only a few more years. Perhaps one of these would be the best choice until a longer term leader emerges.

Rio will hopefully be in a United shirt for a long time, but he hasn't shown the type of leadership that I would expect from a captain. Ruud can be very emotional, but again, I don't see him as a captain.

Rooney might be captain material in the future if he can get his emotions under control. Right now it is way too early to even consider him.

Smith has the passion and drive that you like from a leader, but I'm still unconvinced that he will be a regular starter if United find a quality holding midfielder in the offseason.

I like Heinze's fiery personality, but since he is probably out for the season, he will have played only one full season in a United kit.

Even if United are able to sign a class player with a strong personality (Ballack, for example), I don't think there's any way that a new player could or should become captain. You need to have a few years under your belt for United before you should be considered.

Other thoughts?

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Giggs gets regular runs in the first team, I think it should go to him over Scholes. I don't quite see Gary Neville as captain material, personally. Obviously Giggs would only be a short-term solution though.

I used to have Rio pegged for the captaincy, but I can't say that right now, which isn't to say he can't still convince us. Either Smith (if he really settles into that CM position), Rooney (if he gets his temper under control) or Heinze (assuming his English is good enough) have long-term potential too.

3. Soccerholic

Soccerholic New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Mile High
    As did I, but since his return from suspension he just hasn't convinced me.

4. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    I would love to see Giggsy become captain... but who knows how many games he'll get. If he is a regular starter, then it should be him. If not, then it should be Scholes.

Long term replacement... Wazza.

5. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  6. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see another fire and brimstone type of captain so that rules out Giggs and Scholes. If Rio can get his collective head out of his arse, then he should be the captain. I just don't see Smudger influencing the team as of yet since he is still fighting for a regular place in the 11. Rooney would be an ideal captain in the future but he needs just that big of maturity to look after himself first before you can expect him to look after the rest of the team.

7. MtP07

Jan 3, 2005
    He's the perfect candidate...

He's a Red and hates Scousers...

:D

8. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next captain will just be filling the spot until Fletch is ready.

9. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but I don't want to see our right back running to the other side of the pitch to have a whinge at the referee.

10. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you cannot watch when Gary plays because he does it anyway, captain or no. :)

11. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, you got me there.

12. McIvs

McIvs Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Derry, Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I would say either Scholes, Smith or Giggsy should be captain.

13. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    I know he hasn't been with us for long, but I personally think Van der Sar would make an excellent captain.
    I'm alright with having either Gary Neville or Giggs as short-term options as captain.

14. McIvs

McIvs Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Derry, Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Now that I think of it, Van Der Sar would probably make a good captain.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Rio Ferdinand. I know I know, he's not been as loyal as he possibly could be but how much of that was really press and how much of it was real conflict. He did stay and at no point did he say that he wanted to leave. Rio's best for the role for a few reasons.

He thrives underpressure, he's vocal, he has the respect of his teammates and he's calm, but still motivated. He plays centrally (ie, not on the left or right) and can influence all of the defence as well as the midfield too.

Making Giggs captain would be pointless. Giggs is not vocal enough and he's also not going to be around long enough to make an impact nor is he likely to be an every game starter.

Scholes is simply not captain material.

Gary is the next best bet, but he's grown to be rather injury prone of late and although defenders have extra shelf life, he might not be around for too much longer than Giggs.

That said, we've got options other than Rio...

Giggs/Garry could do the captain's duties for 2-3 seasons by which time Rooney will be 23 or so and ready for the responsibility :D

Rooney has the fire and the passion - much like Alan Smith and they'd both make good captains, but neither's been at the club long enough.

16. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I have never been a big fan on having the goalie as captain. I think you get more out of them if they are out in the field, especially in dealing with the referee.

Rio used to be first in line but not lately. I actually think one of the newer or younger players would be better. (Heinze, Smith, Rooney).

17. McIvs

McIvs Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Derry, Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think that Rooney or Smith could be good choices to be captain. But to me, the captains role is not for Heinze

18. MtP07

Jan 3, 2005
    Just curious why you say Heinze couldn't do it. The only reason I can think of is if his English is not that good...

19. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, central midfielders make the best captains as they can be so influential. Unfortunately, Fletch does not (yet) have the gravitas to be captain. I'm also keeping in mind Jones in the future, former captain of the reserves and a CM.

20. MtP07

Jan 3, 2005
    just wait 'til he gets that moustache... ;) :D

21. McIvs

McIvs Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Derry, Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :D Or that haircut! :D

22. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maybe Fletcher can get a tattoo on his face-ala Mike Tyson.

[​IMG]

:D

23. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney when he keeps his temper under control.

24. GrodZilla

GrodZilla Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm pretty sure it will be Rio.. He's the right age, has the quality and always stands up for teammates. Rooney is too young and inexperienced, Giggs and Scholes belong to the former generation of Man U players.

Fergie will want someone from the new generation in wich Smith and Rio are the 2 most likely options and since Alan can't be sure to hold down a starting berth that leaves Rio.

25. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
    Gary Neville. no question. Did anybody notice him screaming at Wenger during the FA Cup final? Keano material, I tell ya.

after Gazza, it'll be Wazza.