Who will be back in 2004?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Oct 12, 2003.

1. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 - Downing should be ready, hes gotten the seasoning in the A League that Nicol wanted him too, and i love the idea of Cullen coming on late for closing games out.

2 - Unlucky year for the Revs forwards. Both should and probably will come back stronger and healthier next season. Bring back both.

3 - D3 draftees are so out of style, unless you play for a national team in the Carribean or your brother plays in the pros. Sorry Craig.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Roster decisions will be made on the basis of salary cap and availability of specific slots.

JMM makes too much for the amount of production he gives. Either he takes a big pay cut, or he'll be gone. Probably Joseph will take a big chunk of the money recovered from JMM. He's someone they should be tying up for as long as possible. Not to mention Cancela.

If Llamosa signed a one-year deal last season, which I think was likely, he and the team will likely go through the same scenario as last year. I think Nicol will try to find an experienced central defender and, if he does, let Llamosa walk.

Leonard has showed enough to deserve a "real" salary, not the peanuts that development slots offer.

Fabbro isn't a problem, but he uses a foreign slot, so he'll be gone.

Guys like Cullen and Brown are good value, so they're somewhat secure, but will have to stay ahead of the draftees.

Jason Moore, Downing, I. Kante, Reis (and Cullen and Brown) will have hold off the draftees, most likely including something like a #6 and #10 in the first round.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    3 questions

There were rumors of Kamler's retirement prior to his arriving in Foxboro. On the other hand, he has thrived here. Can we assume that he will be hanging on one more season?

Let's say, for arguments' sake, that we did end up with the #6 and #10 picks. Would it be worth dumping both to move up far enough in the draft to get Chad Marshall?

Are people assuming that Dallas are going to be richly compensated for the rights to Adu?

4. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    One thing for sure--the Revs will go into the draft in the best shape in their history. I wouldn't mind having our current roster to start next year and that's before we get to use (or trade) our Allocation and use our high draft picks. Fun to contemplate SN fine tuning the roster. For the first time in Rv history we are on the cupy of having a solid winner to follow.

5. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll start with the developmental roster:

If Downing is still P-40 he can stay, if not he is most likely gone unless he wins a full roster slot in camp. I can't find any info on the rules of P-40 contracts but he turns 24 before next season and I don't think they run that long.

TF III turns 24 next month and will therefore no longer qualify for the DR. That being the case he's gone, no way he earns a full roster slot.

Singer turns 24 mid-season next year, if he can stay on the DR keep him, otherwise drop him unless he can beat out Reis for the #2 GK slot.

I. Kante and Leonard will both still qualify so I don't see them leaving. I agree Leonard deserves a full slot but if we can stash him on the DR for another year so much the better.

On the senior roster Fabbro and Jason Moore are the only sure cuts for me. I think rkupp is right about Llamosa, I'd like to keep him but it will have to be for the right money so I see last year's scenario playing out again. I think JMM is in a similar situation.

Adin, Rusty, Cancela, Joseph, Ralston, Twellman and Noonan are the only untouchables. I wouldn't want anyone else to go but they are all in that middle ground that could be replaced if neccessary.

6. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good call, I had forgotten to take note of that.

If TFIII actually makes the full roster next year, then there is most definately a conspiracy taking place and some sort of action really needs to be taken to stop it.

The fact that we've wasted a developemental spot on him since mid-2001 due to an assumed (and quite obvious) returned favor from Kraft pretty much sickens me, and cements (get it?!? haha....>>gag<<) yet another bad reputation for the Rev's top brass.

7. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm telling you guys, the Revs have the best midfielder in the league, and its Frias. We are saving him. Everytime we are almost ready, he gets injured. (ok, i'll end my mockery). It would be cool to see him actually play a game. Maybe he can play in the final two games as a late sub.

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry to say it, but TF3 only stays if they can't replace him as bus driver. He has failed horribly in his other job for the team...greasing the posts pre-game and half-time.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think we've ever filled our quota of developmental slots, so it's not like he's keeping someone more talented off the roster.

For 15 or 18K$ per year, it's got to be pretty hard to find someone decent to sign up as a developmental player (they still have to have a plan for earning a living while holding down the soccer gig). Singer is an example of a player who fits the situation. Frias, I'm sure, is just a practice body.

10. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Who will be back in 2004?

Based on last year, the Revs do not seem interested in signing/developing young talent. That being said, I will add two names to your list of young, excellent New England players: Mike Videira and Charlie Davies (both play for Boston Bolts U-18 club team coached by John Kerr). Videira is a MF who recently "played up" with the U-20 national team. Davies is striker who is on the regional team.

11. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity: what are the problems with Frias' game? More importantly, how did you discover these flaws? I've never seen the man play.

Brian

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats because the man has never played

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen him, but some people have seen him actually play in friendlies against teams like NH Phantoms and Ludlow Pioneers. People whose judgement I generally respect when it comes to these things have said that he struggled against those D-3 players.

It's one thing to have a guy at the end of your roster whose talent is at A-League level--lots of teams have guys like that. But if that guy couldn't even play in the A-League, and at best is a D-3 player, something's wrong. Only Freddy Adu can get away with jumping up 2 levels.

Tom